Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I really wish to see the post game address or at HT just for a perspective to what the conversation will be.

i'd almost watch a grand final rewatch with horse and players explaining wtf they think

Would we be able to get such footage out of the club? i know that everything is recorded.

even if it is i doubt the club would just hand over that to some fan who annoyed them :p

Jarryd Roughead said on a podcast that during the Hawks three-peat, the moment he saw Fremantle, Sydney and West Coast players wear sunglasses at the Grand Final parade was the moment he was confident that they'd win.

They were instructed to never wear sunglasses at Grand Final parades because hiding your eyes projects nervousness/weakness.

I think google searches would show that we had a few players wear sunglasses at the 14, 16 and 22 parades.
It seriously makes sense. It's a very small detail, but actually says quite a bit about a person's character and how they're coping with the extra pressure

Would we be able to get such footage out of the club? i know that everything is recorded.

you can have the transcript of me watching

sample

me: what the ****
no
make it stop
help
why won't the power go off
don't kick there
don't do that
oh buddy is playing
oh heeney is playing
not another cats goal
heck another cats goal
shit **** shit **** wtf
another cats goal
oh what's that ****en kick
do
something
sub reid off already
who picked him
oh heck do i have to watch
don't kick there
oh another cats goal
oh another cats goal

I really resent this media narrative that our attitude and effort stank. To me it didn't look like a team that was lazy or not trying. It looked like a team that was simply overpowered by a bigger, stronger, harder team, and a few poor pastards who were over-awed.

There was a centre break Geelong got in the second where Rowbottom made a tackling attempt and basically missed the Cats player entirely and slipped over, allowing Atkins a clean kick inside 50 which resulted in a goal. People were saying what a pathetic lazy attempt at a tackle it was. What I saw was a kid busting his absolute gut to sprint from 20m away to try and tackle an opponent that Heeney had lost track of, to the point his legs literally gave out from under him.

You can find plenty more examples like this, where particularly our youngsters had to exert twice as much from themselves just to try and combat the power the Geelong were playing with. It sucked to watch, it was really disappointing, and it showed how far we still have to go to be flag-ready, but it was far from the shitshow that people like Sam Newman are describing it as.

Some of our leaders on the other hand...

I really resent this media narrative that our attitude and effort stank. To me it didn't look like a team that was lazy or not trying. It looked like a team that was simply overpowered by a bigger, stronger, harder team, and a few poor pastards who were over-awed.

There was a centre break Geelong got in the second where Rowbottom made a tackling attempt and basically missed the Cats player entirely and slipped over, allowing Atkins a clean kick inside 50 which resulted in a goal. People were saying what a pathetic lazy attempt at a tackle it was. What I saw was a kid busting his absolute gut to sprint from 20m away to try and tackle an opponent that Heeney had lost track of, to the point his legs literally gave out from under him.

You can find plenty more examples like this, where particularly our youngsters had to exert twice as much from themselves just to try and combat the power the Geelong were playing with. It sucked to watch, it was really disappointing, and it showed how far we still have to go to be flag-ready, but it was far from the shitshow that people like Sam Newman are describing it as.

Some of our leaders on the other hand...

it was a fair old shit show

but agree not lazy just overwhelmed

It's pretty clear that not only does the club need to review what happened on the field in the Grand Final, but also how things were handled in the period leading up to the game.

This isn't park footy where the biggest thing you might do leading up to a Grand Final is a player's dinner or a GF breakfast, this is professional sport where every aspect is analyzed, managed and prepared - on and off the field.

The players need to be absolutely ready to go out and perform at their best, instead we have a player suggesting they were "overwhelmed" (as I alluded to earlier). The Swans simply can't allow this to happen again.

It's pretty clear that not only does the club need to review what happened on the field in the Grand Final, but also how things were handled in the period leading up to the game.

This isn't park footy where the biggest thing you might do leading up to a Grand Final is a player's dinner or a GF breakfast, this is professional sport where every aspect is analyzed, managed and prepared - on and off the field.

The players need to be absolutely ready to go out and perform at their best, instead we have a player suggesting they were "overwhelmed" (as I alluded to earlier). The Swans simply can't allow this to happen again.

SCG capacity is 45k. MCG is 100k. From a player perspective they don’t play in front of the huge crowds that Victorian teams get the opportunity to. So may be they are overwhelmed when they do play in front of the huge crowds.

This a common problem for non Victorian teams in grand finals at the MCG. It is what it is and it’s not an excuse for why they lost. Just the way things pan out.

Not sure there is an easy solution as to being prepared. Maybe it’s just experience of playing in these big games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SCG capacity is 45k. MCG is 100k. From a player perspective they don’t play in front of the huge crowds that Victorian teams get the opportunity to. So may be they are overwhelmed when they do play in front of the huge crowds.

This a common problem for non Victorian teams in grand finals at the MCG. It is what it is and it’s not an excuse for why they lost. Just the way things pan out.

Not sure there is an easy solution as to being prepared. Maybe it’s just experience of playing in these big games.

It wouldn't matter if there was another stadium holding 150k its never moving from the MCG in our lifetimes.

I do find it quite a concidence upon the completion of Optus Oval in WA they extended the MCG deal to 2057.

It is what it is.

It wouldn't matter if there was another stadium holding 150k its never moving from the MCG in our lifetimes.

I do find it quite a concidence upon the completion of Optus Oval in WA they extended the MCG deal to 2057.

It is what it is.
It’s not just the grand final but home and away games that draw large crowds. Round 23 this year Pies v Blues was 88k. That’s a great experience for those players but that is limited to Melbourne clubs.

That’s just something Swans players to learn to cope with, without experiencing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back