Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

They had 124 marks to 62. How on earth we let them have that much time and space in a grand final is mind boggling. Too much defending grass and not enough man on man? For comparison Collingwood had 68 and Melbourne 77 in our finals against them.
They had many little 15m passes , it really showed up watching high on the wing

Think we just need to acknowledge Geelong’s masterful coaching performance - not just on the day, but across the season.
I’m not sure how widely known it is, or if it has been mentioned in this forum yet, but Chris Scott and Geelong ripped up the coaching manual at the start of the year and said “how do we get better with the ppl we have and what we know about the game today”.
They got rid of the defined back/mid/forward coaching structure and looked at the team as “one”. Scott felt the old coaching model meant each coach had their own objectives which may not be the best for the team as a whole.

Yes we played very poorly. But 17 wins in a row suggests a pretty robust system and full credit to them.

We will be back but can only tip your hat sometimes - what they did at the start of the year was brave and risky and they got the ultimate reward

Think we just need to acknowledge Geelong’s masterful coaching performance - not just on the day, but across the season.
I’m not sure how widely known it is, or if it has been mentioned in this forum yet, but Chris Scott and Geelong ripped up the coaching manual at the start of the year and said “how do we get better with the ppl we have and what we know about the game today”.
They got rid of the defined back/mid/forward coaching structure and looked at the team as “one”. Scott felt the old coaching model meant each coach had their own objectives which may not be the best for the team as a whole.

Yes we played very poorly. But 17 wins in a row suggests a pretty robust system and full credit to them.

We will be back but can only tip your hat sometimes - what they did at the start of the year was brave and risky and they got the ultimate reward

I reckon this highlights the entries Geelong where getting, straight out of the middle and into the forward 50. Probably also highlights repeat entries which Geelong are very good at.

15 less inside fiftys from us contributes to that...

They had 124 marks to 62. How on earth we let them have that much time and space in a grand final is mind boggling. Too much defending grass and not enough man on man? For comparison Collingwood had 68 and Melbourne 77 in our finals against them.

we were chasing the game from fifteen minutes in. We were trying to spread and turning the ball over. and we got caught going the wrong way

nothing went right from the moment hickey got owned by hawkins.

arguably nothing went right from the moment reid got injured in the prelim

It seriously makes sense. It's a very small detail, but actually says quite a bit about a person's character and how they're coping with the extra pressure
are you sure it doesnt just mean they like wearing sunny's

Warner is the only player in history 2 kick 2 goals and record 10+ clearances in a grand final

1 of only 3 players to kick 2 + goals and 18+ contested possessions.

The other two ?

Petracca
Dusty
I feel like this sums up why we lost though. We looked our best all year when no one was dominating but everyone was working together to be dominant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

including the one we won
under longmire our first quarters of grand finals are

total

opposition.

he must have the worst pre game speeches 😂

lucky we came back in 2012 but we give up s**t starts

if my adding is wrong above apologies
In addition to the poor first quarters,
We have only won 3 quarters in the last 4 grand finals.
2012 - 2nd QTR (by 29 points) and 4th QTR (9 points)
2014 -
2016 - 2nd QTR (by 6 points)
2022 -

Maths might be out, but makes for average reading

including the one we won
under longmire our first quarters of grand finals are

total

opposition.

he must have the worst pre game speeches 😂

lucky we came back in 2012 but we give up s**t starts

if my adding is wrong above apologies

In addition to the poor first quarters,
We have only won 3 quarters in the last 4 grand finals.
2012 - 2nd QTR (by 29 points) and 4th QTR (9 points)
2014 -
2016 - 2nd QTR (by 6 points)
2022 -

Maths might be out, but makes for average reading
Whoa guys slow down

I can only get so depressed

Another GF loss without a flag in between and we'll be touted as the modern day 'wobbles' club...if we're not already?
Need to make one huge statement next GF appearance, that's for sure.

Did many of our players come out battered and bruised leaving every ounce on the field? (bar already damaged Reid). I know many were spent after chasing all day.
Not sure we need any huge personnel changes It's all in the head and club has stated this year we are in retention stage and not build stage ...we know our best matches the best and we've said it all year.

Some passages of play on Saturday could be likened to what we've seen in our AFLW clashes with a 1st year team against 5+ years of experience sides.
Our normal clean skills & relentless pressure were near non-existent, bar those few who stood up.
Sad to say, but if it was mid season you'd almost contemplate dropping Heeney to reserves after his finals performances. I really thought it would be his day to shine.

Surely Heeney must be carrying a injury,played poorly over the last few weeks.

Decided to take a few days before posting, such was my disappointment. Thought Fox was far and away the best Swan on the ground. I found myself zeroing in on him for much of the match because of how poorly everything else was going and how excellently he was handling his assignment. His defensive play on Cameron was sensational, the kind of stuff any of the best defenders in the comp would be happy with. And he was just about the only player with the dare to run and carry and rebound from the start of the game. Should be very proud of that game he played.

Chad kept trying but his best came when the game was well and truly over. Clarke did a sound job on keeping Stewart out of it. Papley and Parker were able to provide something each (Papley with some energy around the ball and Parker defensively) but otherwise it was one of the most disappointing days I can remember as a Swans fan. We were the underdogs and deservedly so - I expected Geelong to win but for them to waltz over us like that was bitterly disappointing. The number of broken tackles and ineffective tackles on the weekend was startling. Geelong did as they pleased physically. I fear that losing a GF like that will stay with the players for a long time considering that there's still a substantial senior nucleus of the side (Bud, Parker, Rampe, Lloyd, Reid) who have now experienced a few really humiliating losses in September. These are the leaders who the young guys need to turn to in difficult times and if they're now scarred as well, then yeesh, we might have a problem on our hands. And if Longmire is also now implicated in being scarred, then I'm not saying we'll plummet down the ladder whatsoever, but we need to find a way to exorcise these finals demons soon.

And you can't overlook the two All-Australians from this year - Mills had become so dependable but nothing he did worked on GF day. And I've gotta say, Heeney had three ordinary finals in a row in which he looked jittery and lacking his usual confidence in his skills. He continued to tackle throughout the finals series but he didn't provide anything like the kind of offensive output we expect of him. If we struggle to rely on those two in big moments, we're in trouble when it comes to fulfilling this group's potential. I don't think he had any physical injury either - I watched him closely in the PF and GF; I reckon it was all psychological with him. Psyched himself out of those games. Will be gladly proven wrong if he books in for a post-season operation, but that's how it looked to me.

That's the pessimistic side of me. The optimistic side is that guys like Warner, Errol, Rowbottom, Blakey, T.McCartin, McInerney are still learning their caper and have too much talent to let this hold them back.

Hard to know what to think moving forward after such a dismal defeat. The side made the GF in what had been a truly excellent season - I'd say most of our best 26 players improved over the course of the season - but that leaves such a sour taste in the mouth to see the side so comprehensively overwhelmed. Ultimately, from a talent perspective the club remains in a good place but there's a considerable amount of improvement and work left to go.

I'm hoping for improved output from Campbell, Logan, and Gould - I'd be hoping they've made themselves beyond doubt by early in 2023. I'm worried about Campbell's progression - he's been thrown about everywhere and must be feeling confused right about now. Meanwhile, Ladhams could scarcely have had a worse 2nd half of 2022. I wager it'll require a lot of work for him to earn the trust of the coaching staff back after what he dished up. A man who certainly has the talent to be a good senior AFL ruck but if he doesn't sort out the mental side of his game, he'll be a lost cause. It may also be too early but I love Angus Sheldrick - I want to see him pushing for regular senior games ASAP in 2023. This side played above its weight quite literally for most of the year until it ran into a hardened, experienced and tough bunch of old codgers who beat them down. I'd want Sheldrick in the side to improve the physicality sooner rather than later.

Out: Buddy & Reid.
In: McDonald & Ladhams.
Trade in a DeGoey type. I've changed my mind on him after that game.

It's pretty brutal but that's a starting point right there.
You just know the second the ink dries on his new contract he's going to relax the 10-15% that will make him a liability on the cap and field.
A leopard - spots, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back