Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we picked Mills at 3 as a mid and bare in mind Melbourne rated him the best mid- they took Oliver after the match. Unlike Geelong we put him in the backline. It’s the only thing I hate and that’s this so called versatility. Give me a bloke who is elite in one position thanks. They will only be elite if they are played there a lot.
If Selwood had looked like a gun defender, they would absolutely have played him down there.

Dean Cox is probably still the top ruckman at the club probably

maybe we focus on fixing that

Right, well, since Parker is going to be a better mid than Sheldrick for another year or two, I guess he just plays reserves until then.

I’d rather him do that than be forced to ply another position actually

Jesus christ wanting to get DeGoey in to fix our problems

No ******* thank you id rather lose the next two flags as well
Yep, ignoring his obvious off-field baggage.

He was nowhere to be seen when the whips were cracking in the preliminary final.

Collingwood's version of Jake Stringer.

He was a pick 3, he was ready for AFL football and he was not getting midfield time from Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery, Mitchell, McVeigh and the like.

He won the rising star ffs.

Mills has nothing to do with our discussion and was ready to contribute in the AFL immediately which I don’t think can be said about Sheldrick to the same level.

It has everything to do with it, playing blokes out of position is probably my biggest issue. If they can’t play their position don’t play them. Utility for the sake of a utility, meh.

Then we compound it by playing injured blokes in finals. Horse deserves everything coming to him after that fiasco half the performance is on him.

Yep, ignoring his obvious off-field baggage.

He was nowhere to be seen when the whips were cracking in the preliminary final.

Collingwood's version of Jake Stringer.

He did almost beat Geelong in their QF though.

I'd caution people against reading too much into the required structural changes from one game - our midfield served us pretty well throughout the season. The reality is that 20 blokes turned up on Saturday totally unprepared for the occasion and for me the blame for that rests mostly with the coaching staff. We don't know exactly what happens in-house but I think Longmire and co need to totally reassess how they prepare for these big games - maybe stop treating it like just another normal game and acknowledge that there's nothing normal about it. There's also a certain arrogance about the selection process that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Not the first time it has happened either. On paper we should have won in 2014 and 2016, and we should have been competitive in 2022. It is becoming a pattern under Longmire.

Not the first time it has happened either. On paper we should have won in 2014 and 2016, and we should have been competitive in 2022. It is becoming a pattern under Longmire.

including the one we won
under longmire our first quarters of grand finals are

total

opposition.

he must have the worst pre game speeches 😂

lucky we came back in 2012 but we give up shit starts

if my adding is wrong above apologies

Saturday will send this squad one of two ways.

We may head to the scrapheap with the likes of Radelaide, Port Flopalot and the Plastics in terms of it taking a long time to get over the mental impacts of getting flogged on Grand Final day.

Or it will light the fires to drive them to ultimate success - lessons will be learnt and not repeated, and it will drive the pursuit of true excellence.

There are gaps to fill yet on the list for sure, but we have a young core good enough to build a team that can win multiple flags. It is up to them whether this roadblock is simply that, or whether it is actually a cliff that breaks them as a group.

What I'd like to hear from the team (doesn't have to be now but leading into 2023) is a clear view that what happened on Saturday must not ever happen again, and the only way that the Club will achieve 'redemption' from it will be to lift the Cup in the near future. I know a lot of people prefer to stay under the radar a bit, set expectations low and go from there - but it is time for this group (however young key elements may be) to stand up and put a target on their backs. Make it clear that until it is a Swans Captain lifting that Cup, redemption for 2022 will not be complete, and that the team owe it to themselves (let alone the fan base) to achieve that.
Sometimes a football lesson is dealt to you rather than chosen. Geelong were the team we wanted our team to be. They were hard and ruthless. We simply were not able to compete on their level. Perhaps we should be honored. They believed that we would bring the heat and they knew that if they did not equal that, then we would toast them. I really do not think that the swans ever believed that Geelong could bring that level of pressure. And that was the game over, right there. Geelong dictated terms all day and did not waver. What they did to us, Melbourne did to them last year. You could make a case that the GF loss of 2021 was the genesis of their GF victory in 2022.
Carlton have been very fond of announcing the success of their rebuilds before they started. It's not the announcement that I want to hear from the playing group or coaches...it is more what I want to see on the ground....the steely resolve, the one percenters, the slow burn of ferocity, the players' desire to put their bodies in harm's way to win the contest. Deeds speak louder than words. Make no public promises - keep them private, or shared in house only, but do the things that express those promises out loud when on the ground. Don't say what you want to do...just do it.

It has everything to do with it, playing blokes out of position is probably my biggest issue. If they can’t play their position don’t play them. Utility for the sake of a utility, meh.

Then we compound it by playing injured blokes in finals. Horse deserves everything coming to him after that fiasco half the performance is on him.
I'm not sure you're thinking things through. If we never play people in multiple positions, what happens when a player goes down injured, do we just keep playing them injured (which you hate) because there's no-one who can switch or come off the bench to replace them?

I'm not sure you're thinking things through. If we never play people in multiple positions, what happens when a player goes down injured, do we just keep playing them injured (which you hate) because there's no-one who can switch or come off the bench to replace them?

there's a great interview with malcolm blight about geelong in the 90s.

Said got caught out grand finals because guys like hocking bairstow couch etc were mids only and if things went wrong he had no change up,

that's why at crows he said anyone playing mids needs to play half back first eg goodwin did

not saying send every mid to half back, not that simplistic , but i think you are right if shit hits the fan you need options

There is being able to play a few positions sure. However you should have a main position especially players where you pay a premium for. Your high first rounders shouldn’t be so called utilities they should be A grade ideally in their set position

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A huge part of why geelong was so good this season is having several unbelievably flexible players. Bit silly this.

There is being able to play a few positions sure. However you should have a main position especially players where you pay a premium for. Your high first rounders shouldn’t be so called utilities they should be A grade ideally in their set position
Sheldrick isn't a high first rounder, and that's an arbitrary judgement anyway. Sheldrick has a main position, midfield. But if he's also capable of being a pressure/crumbing forward, then he's probably going to get some senior experience there, and then in those games, if we hit some injuries, he could get some midfield time. In fact, unless we play him up forward in some seniors games, it will hinder his midfield development, because he'll never operate at senior level stoppages, maybe a few centre bounces. But... I suppose we should have kept McVeigh as a tagger / attacking mid, Blakey as a key forward etc.

Sitting there sober at the Brownlow would be surreal.
They came down Thursday went down the Yarra on Friday.
Surely they ticked all the things to do in Melbourne.

What happens Tuesday and Wednesday?
Other than train on the ground.
The same as they did in lockdown , soak it up early as it goes all week , be together . Do you have any idea what it's like in GF week , all week

You can't play Buddy up the ground because his mobility has reduced. Either park him at FF or don't play him at all.

The lack of pressure from our half forwards on Geelongs half backs out of centre bounces and stoppages was disappointing.

If you want to play 3 talls in the forward line then at least 2 of them need to have some afl standard mobility. We literally had 3 talls in the forward line who had little mobility. I still don't understand why we played Reid knowing he can't jump or move freely. It exacerbated the lack of pace in our forward 50 which meant no pressure on Geelong defence. Shocking decision. If you play a half cooked Reid then select Amartey not Mclean.

You can't play Buddy up the ground because his mobility has reduced. Either park him at FF or don't play him at all.

The lack of pressure from our half forwards on Geelongs half backs out of centre bounces and stoppages was disappointing.

If you want to play 3 talls in the forward line then at least 2 of them need to have some afl standard mobility. We literally had 3 talls in the forward line who had little mobility. I still don't understand why we played Reid knowing he can't jump or move freely. It exacerbated the lack of pace in our forward 50 which meant no pressure on Geelong defence. Shocking decision. If you play a half cooked Reid then select Amartey not Mclean.
Buddy operates OK at CHF, that's where he needs to be. He can't clunk marks at FF, and we're not going to drop him. He needs to make up for his slower body by giving the ball off sooner, not attempting evasion/fend offs. Instructions to him need to be clear - if he can't mark it on the lead, then act as a decoy to create space at FF, and as soon as he gets under pressure, give it off, don't try to be Buddy from 5-10 years ago. If he doesn't follow instructions and we have someone performing in reserves, just drop him then. I suspect we're still building an attack around him, and the players are playing like it.

No idea what will happen with Reid now, but if he struggles to get back, then I'd just have Logan, Buddy, Amartey as the tall fwds Round 1 next year. Arguably should have been that for the GF (was my preference).

Jesus christ wanting to get DeGoey in to fix our problems

No ******* thank you id rather lose the next two flags as well
There’s going to be an incredible amount of crap thrown around over the next few weeks and months as everyone scrambles to come up with anything, absolutely anything, that might possibly address the shortcomings exposed by that disgraceful humiliation on Saturday.

That includes contemplating bringing in certified d*ckheads and proposing that youngsters who have only played once or twice, or not at all, are the ready made answer to our problems.

Hold on because it’s going to be a wild ride.

Another GF loss without a flag in between and we'll be touted as the modern day 'wobbles' club...if we're not already?
Need to make one huge statement next GF appearance, that's for sure.

Did many of our players come out battered and bruised leaving every ounce on the field? (bar already damaged Reid). I know many were spent after chasing all day.
Not sure we need any huge personnel changes It's all in the head and club has stated this year we are in retention stage and not build stage ...we know our best matches the best and we've said it all year.

Some passages of play on Saturday could be likened to what we've seen in our AFLW clashes with a 1st year team against 5+ years of experience sides.
Our normal clean skills & relentless pressure were near non-existent, bar those few who stood up.
Sad to say, but if it was mid season you'd almost contemplate dropping Heeney to reserves after his finals performances. I really thought it would be his day to shine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back