2nds 2022 Lions Reserves and VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a pic on Lions twitter of Will getting sprayed with drink in the middle of the song after our win. Loved it. I tuned back in at one point and his shot at goal where he hit the post in the last was pure class except the poster.

Highlight of my limited viewing was Harry's chase down and tackle for htb.

I only saw bits and pieces of the second half live so just watched the replay. Sharp did some impressive things. That burst of run on the wing where he connected with Dev for the 1-2 and finished with a running goal from 50m surprised me. I didn't realise he was that fast. He showed it again in a chase down tackle on the other wing where he absolutely mowed the Swans player down. Showed a fair bit on both the offensive and defensive side of the game. He will be a player in a couple years.

I only saw bits and pieces of the second half live so just watched the replay. Sharp did some impressive things. That burst of run on the wing where he connected with Dev for the 1-2 and finished with a running goal from 50m surprised me. I didn't realise he was that fast. He showed it again in a chase down tackle on the other wing where he absolutely mowed the Swans player down. Showed a fair bit on both the offensive and defensive side of the game. He will be a player in a couple years.

He has a very high top end but he needs to improve his explosiveness off the mark.

Cruel world! My son and I planned out Saturday. Head to reserves game. Go nuts supporting all players, but a bit extras nuts for Mitch, then back to the brewery near the Gabba to wait for the start of the game.

Only grandkid so far, who is of course the smartest, cutest happiest baby every, has his first birthday the following weekend but the parents wanted to have both families to celebrate and it had to be this Saturday. 😳

Cruel world! My son and I planned out Saturday. Head to reserves game. Go nuts supporting all players, but a bit extras nuts for Mitch, then back to the brewery near the Gabba to wait for the start of the game.

Only grandkid so far, who is of course the smartest, cutest happiest baby every, has his first birthday the following weekend but the parents wanted to have both families to celebrate and it had to be this Saturday. 😳
Utter bastards

They missed the opportunity to have two birthdays? More fool they.

VFL Round 7, Brisbane Lions v Coburg Lions
Saturday 7 May 2022 @ 12:35 PM @ Burpengary (Moreton Bay Sports Complex)
Streamed on AFL.com and AFL app as per usual.

Coburg have only won one game and we are fielding a strong side, so I wold expect another win. Coburg, along with Port Melbourne, are our VFL COVID backup teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but that is a risk. if they play half, then someone is injured in the first 5 minutes of seniors .....
Of course, but regardless of that, my understanding is that it's standard practice for the sub to play a half of VFL football in those fixturing circumstances - if that's true then they're getting a run.

I really don’t like our VFL games being played before our AFL games.
It's not ideal, but the Lions regularly rotate the emergency and the medical sub. I suppose with AFL broadcasting rights and a lot of late afternoon, evening games it makes it difficult to play VFL after the main game.

Matches against non AFL clubs (such as this weekend), I also would prefer VFL games played after the AFL game.

It's not ideal, but the Lions regularly rotate the emergency and the medical sub. I suppose with AFL broadcasting rights and a lot of late afternoon, evening games it makes it difficult to play VFL after the main game.

Matches against non AFL clubs (such as this weekend), I also would prefer VFL games played after the AFL game.
The medical sub should be scrapped anyways. Absolute joke how teams use it. Get rid of it i say.

The medical sub should be scrapped anyways. Absolute joke how teams use it. Get rid of it i say.
Honestly, I've been pretty impressed by the judicious way it's been employed. I was very much of the view when they introduced it that yeah, in an AFL team you're going to be able to pretty easily find some sort of niggle that justifies dragging someone who's looking bit tired and injecting some fresh legs into the side and the number of subs used was inevitably going to be exact twice the number of games played.

That has not been the case. Indeed, from the ones I've seen it's been consistent that I've looked at the injury (where shown on the telecast) and thought, yeah, that looks legit. Sometimes the scans come back and show no structural damage, sure, but nonetheless, that the injury looked like it needed a scan and had a realistic possibility of being weeks - consistent.

And my feeling is that this has cut down on how often an early injury is a determining factor in game outcomes. Which is a positive change.

Now, you could certainly argue that, say, having a seven-man bench would achieve most of that while also being less finicky. That's probably true. I wouldn't want to ditch the sub without getting at least that back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back