MRP / Trib. 2022 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible attitude.

A poor outcome, based on (political) expediency. Nothing more, nothing less.

And we must now forget about it and move on.... no way.

Of course the team must prepare for battle with Crippa, but the discussion should go on!

Discussion amongst ourselves??

No use preaching to the converted…

He was guilty, yes I agree 1 week would have been the right result but it wasn’t.

Next time, go harder at the man, go lower so no head contact and play on…

Hospital handballs are called that for a reason, it’s part of our game…

Discussion amongst ourselves??

No use preaching to the converted…

He was guilty, yes I agree 1 week would have been the right result but it wasn’t.

Next time, go harder at the man, go lower so no head contact and play on…

Hospital handballs are called that for a reason, it’s part of our game…
See, I kind of react to this by feeling contrary. Instead of this decision bringing about a desire to change, it brings about a desire to demonstrate exactly what jumping hip first into someone's head actually looks like, and then juxtaposing the images concurrently. Bit like how, when I see someone like Ginnivan or Selwood or Shuey falsely obtain a head high free, I want one of our players to closeline the **** out of them and show the umps what actual head high contact looks like and its repercussions instead of a dickhead exploiting the rules for their own benefit.

I've not weighed in on this, largely because I think it's a foregone conclusion; the ban was always going to stand. But I reject completely the AFL's various assertions of taking concussion seriously until they penalise action, and this was very much an outcome based suspension. I also reject the idea that it was dumb, stupid, whatever negative objective you want to label the action Cripps took; he was moving to receive the ball, jumped to protect it, and got there late.

He's suspended for cosmetic reasons, as opposed to what he actually did.

As soon as I saw the incident it looked like a bump in real time, he was always going to be second to that ball, he braced late, was off the ground and collected him. He's a big man and he knocked him out of the game. As soon as a player is concussed out of the game from an action you're getting suspended. it's called litigation mitigation - so when a player comes back in 15 years for some cash the AFL mitigates their payouts to these players by saying we are trying to protect the head, the action that caused the injury is an illegal action, the player that dished it was suspended and its not within our laws.
Payout potentially reduces.

its frustrating but welcome to the 21st century corporate and legal world we live in.

Forget whether it was a bump or not or if he was in the air or not. It's the ruling is based on a vibe. Cripps contested the ball too hard for modern times and if you are going to do that and someone gets concussed then you get done. The technicalliies don't seem to even come into play... unless you try to argue he didnt contest the ball too hard for modern times. What is too hard and what is just right...The vibe.

Last edited:
As soon as I saw the incident it looked like a bump in real time, he was always going to be second to that ball, he braced late, was off the ground and collected him. He's a big man and he knocked him out of the game. As soon as a player is concussed out of the game from an action you're getting suspended. it's called litigation mitigation - so when a player comes back in 15 years for some cash the AFL mitigates their payouts to these players by saying we are trying to protect the head, the action that caused the injury is an illegal action, the player that dished it was suspended and its not within our laws.
Payout potentially reduces.

its frustrating but welcome to the 21st century corporate and legal world we live in.

See, I kind of react to this by feeling contrary. Instead of this decision bringing about a desire to change, it brings about a desire to demonstrate exactly what jumping hip first into someone's head actually looks like, and then juxtaposing the images concurrently. Bit like how, when I see someone like Ginnivan or Selwood or Shuey falsely obtain a head high free, I want one of our players to closeline the * out of them and show the umps what actual head high contact looks like and its repercussions instead of a dickhead exploiting the rules for their own benefit.

I've not weighed in on this, largely because I think it's a foregone conclusion; the ban was always going to stand. But I reject completely the AFL's various assertions of taking concussion seriously until they penalise action, and this was very much an outcome based suspension. I also reject the idea that it was dumb, stupid, whatever negative objective you want to label the action Cripps took; he was moving to receive the ball, jumped to protect it, and got there late.

He's suspended for cosmetic reasons, as opposed to what he actually did.

Combine these two posts and while you have every reason to be angry and bitter over it, it's exactly the way it is and precisely why Cripps got suspended.

The AFL wants to do what appears to be the right thing on the surface level: concussion = bad = offender suspended without really taking the necessary steps that would actively change the game for the betterment of concussion.

Until the AFL changes it's perspective of things- an enormous, costly, process (although the best thing to do for the future of the game - it's going to rely on it's matrix based, outcome oriented suspension system.

Cripps rolled the dice and got the worst possible outcome. Unfortunate for him, possibly the straw that broke the camel's back for our season, but no conspiracy. Other players have been lucky for similar or same action because the outcome wasn't the same.

I'd go as far as to say it does the opposite. It encourages players to forfeit their own safety and recklessly contest for a 50/50 ball without protecting themselves/ go in against clearly stronger players. You get concussed, a fresh player is subbed on and rival team loses a player for upcoming games. Net benefit in most situations.

Ah Chee was given a hospital pass, saw Cripps, and still chose to try and gather possession directly without angling his body to protect himself. AFL policy is now: no responsibility for your own safety, and we see it every week with players trying to get hurt for frees (not that this happened with Ah Chee, was clearly cleaned up accidentally)

Players are trained to protect themselves from juniors and also to choose their contests carefully so they dint get hurt, but now the AFL has provided incentive not to. Getting concussed sucks, but it doesn't have even a short-term ongoing effect >95% of the time (been concussed 20+ times playing footy, mostly thorough my own recklessness)

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Appeal confirmed!

Macaulay Culkin Yes GIF by filmeditor

Aaaaand we're off again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd go as far as to say it does the opposite. It encourages players to forfeit their own safety and recklessly contest for a 50/50 ball without protecting themselves/ go in against clearly stronger players. You get concussed, a fresh player is subbed on and rival team loses a player for upcoming games. Net benefit in most situations.

Ah Chee was given a hospital pass, saw Cripps, and still chose to try and gather possession directly without angling his body to protect himself. AFL policy is now: no responsibility for your own safety, and we see it every week with players trying to get hurt for frees (not that this happened with Ah Chee, was clearly cleaned up accidentally)

Players are trained to protect themselves from juniors and also to choose their contests carefully so they dint get hurt, but now the AFL has provided incentive not to. Getting concussed sucks, but it doesn't have even a short-term ongoing effect >95% of the time (been concussed 20+ times playing footy, mostly thorough my own recklessness)

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've mentioned before that this has similarities with the Plowman case. Player running at the ball, slightly second to the ball to someone running with, or parallel to the ball.

It really is a changing of the game. Players now run forward of the ball a lot more, and with the flight, as there is less likelihood of being cleaned up. You used to get told off, as really you leave your self open for being smashed. Now its just accepted.

Appeal confirmed!

Aaaaand we're off again!

OGC.407b5c6508a0371d891ea29a310ff594

Finally the club is standing up again!!!!

This is why the AFL hate us as we used to appeal everything and do everything in our power to back our players this is the right message they should have appealed Hayes suspension too as yet again outcome based not Action.

For me. It is not only that we get Patrick Cripps to play, it is that we embarrass the AFL in the process. May they feel pain and in that pain self-improvement.

For me. It is not only that we get Patrick Cripps to play, it is that we embarrass the AFL in the process. May they feel pain and in that pain self-improvement.

Exactly! We ain't
giphy.gif
anymore

we are back to being
OGC.0227d0885d0473b7185318bbe7a38c93

they need us we don't need them take it all the way and get him off make them hate us again.

And if they keep him suspended time for
OIP.Xv_ALRRdUBxikjCFHDsYbwHaFi
to give Gil and co a visit.

Ahh the good old days...

Exactly! We ain't
giphy.gif
anymore

we are back to being
OGC.0227d0885d0473b7185318bbe7a38c93

they need us we don't need them take it all the way and get him off make them hate us again.
They always hated us and still do. The AFL is a swamp of ex-Essendon and Geelong scum.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. 2022 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back