MRP / Trib. 2022 MRO Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Kelly clearly unlucky to be cited here. Berry’s act of getting a disposal away was a contributing factor to the whole situation. It completely changed the centres of balance of the two players mid tackle and made the whole thing look worse than it was.

should be thrown out.

Would be interesting to see if this would be your response if we beat you on the weekend😉

They use the old "potential to cause injury" a bit sporadically, yes\no?

Its a fav of mine.
Because you could apply it to every action they deem reportable but they don't. Then all of a sudden on a fairly average report they tack on the potential injure and it gets across the line for games missed.

I thought Cotch pinned the free arm? The arm with the ball was still free wasn't it?

Edit - yep watching footage again same situation. Cotchin pins the non footy arm.

But yeah, I am wondering what the point of grading the impact of the offence is if we are actually going on potential to cause injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I learnt nothing about the AFL from this comedy. In or out is meaningless as we finalise the season with two exhibition games.

What I did learn is that Kelly should be our tackling coach.

Would be interesting to see if this would be your response if we beat you on the weekend😉
I think we’re both in the same position this time of year where it doesn’t matter. There is every chance we win both our final games and jump three positions up the ladder costing us draft position. A close loss would have probably suited us better from that perspective but with a young list you take every win on the road you can get.

""The incident occurred in an aerial contest in which players both had eyes on the ball. There was no bump," O'Farrell said.
"It was reasonable to contest the ball the way he did.
"It wasn't rough conduct, he didn't bump … therefore it was not careless.""

This has to be the dumbest argument i've heard tonight.

It was a stock standard dangerous tackle, not sure why people are confused he didnt get off.
Because plenty of those happen each week and there’s no action taken

Cotchins tackle wasn’t even assessed

Yeah just had a look. Cotchins tackle was slow. As annoying as it is Kelly did tackle him fast and hard at 360 degrees. It's a 50/50 for suspension.

As you should now. The AFL announced they would be paying HTB if you get spun 360° and don't release the footy. Haven't seen it enforced once since they tooted their horn about it, but absolutely you should try to get the player around 360 degrees as soon as possible as it's the less dangerous way to win a free kick.

Doesn't help when the player tries to dispose of the ball by foot mid tackle.

At the moment the MRP calculator only considers 3 elements: Conduct, Impact and Contact.

AFL brought the fourth element "SIGNIFICANT POTENTIAL" in to claim Kelly‘s action is of medium impact (actually, the impact is low). AFL is wrong and Impact should not be mixed with Likelihood. The two should be considered separately.

If AFL wants to consider the LIKELIHOOD (potential), this calculator needs modification to add in Likelihood as the fourth element. This concept is well defined in the Australian Standard AS 31000 Risk Mangement.

Last edited:
As you should now. The AFL announced they would be paying HTB if you get spun 360° and don't release the footy. Haven't seen it enforced once since they tooted their horn about it, but absolutely you should try to get the player around 360 degrees as soon as possible as it's the less dangerous way to win a free kick.

Doesn't help when the player tries to dispose of the ball by foot mid tackle.
Rule has be in for ever - just ignored of late ( years as it isn't good for TV)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back