VFL 2022 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched this game or much vfl this year but reports on Philp seem disappointing. He seemed better before his injury issues last year.

For those that have been watching, is there hope for him development wise or have we made a recruiting blue? He was a a decently high pick and pretty highly rated when he arrived if I recall correctly.

I haven't watched this game or much vfl this year but reports on Philp seem disappointing. He seemed better before his injury issues last year.

For those that have been watching, is there hope for him development wise or have we made a recruiting blue. He was a a decent pick and pretty highly rated when he arrived if I recall correctly.

Have found his biggest obstacle is the fumbling. Does attack the contest at pace but can still have the fumbles in open space.

Can find the goals, though maybe a rover role that can hit the scoreboard more than HFF. Sure he was drafted as a midfielder.

Persistent injuries (slow going from his groin issues), and again missed some pre-season training plus games at the start of the season. Hopefully post bye he can find some form.

For those that have been watching, is there hope for him development wise or have we made a recruiting blue? He was a a decently high pick and pretty highly rated when he arrived if I recall correctly.

He struggled to get the ball and he’s not clean. And if he’s not clean in VFL he’s going to struggle in AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But how often does a midfielder get 30 possessions and ZERO tackles.... something just doesn't add up. Was he not taught this as a junior?
Hunter Clark had 28 disposals, 7 clearances, and a single tackle.

In fact, looking at the clearance stats against disposals and tackles, only Bytel and Trudgeon were regularly at stoppages both clearing the ball and tackling.

Looks like Maher, Setterfield and Boyd were pushing into general stoppages to pressure and tackle, and it was just fairly open at the stoppages. My recollection of the game is it was fairly free flowing through the corridor so this all matches up.

I'm not saying it's a good result for Dow, but he was far from alone.

Should anyone be surprised that Setterfield lacks presence as a defensive winger as a 193 cm 88-90 kg balanced mid?

Should be splitting duties with Fogarty and getting involved in the stoppages. Looks too lean for how he plays, all in an effort to use his endurance base to keep defensive shape for the team. Bizarre to still see this so much in the VFL.

He definitely hunts the ball at stoppages, and is super effective at it. He seemed to be trying to get outside and into the chain of possession more at general stoppages, and I think his tackle count reflects that.

Was a slightly below average game in terms of tackle count, with 40% of the players out there right with him, having 1 tackle or less. Great that he's getting into open play more, let's see if he can balance the two out.
Jim he didn’t have a good game. I like him a lot but that meandering ‘run along next to an opponent with the ball’ rubbish is just not on.

In fact, looking at the clearance stats against disposals and tackles, only Bytel and Trudgeon were regularly at stoppages both clearing the ball and tackling.

Looks like Maher, Setterfield and Boyd were pushing into general stoppages to pressure and tackle, and it was just fairly open at the stoppages. My recollection of the game is it was fairly free flowing through the corridor so this all matches up.

Clark was an absolute class above.

Dow doesn't win you the ball back, which has been the case all year.

The fact that he has gone to another level with his clearance work though, and in recent weeks has started to be a scoring threat and is working harder to find space are all promosing signs for his development.

His output has been the focus but his development this year has somewhat slipped under the radar. He is improving both his strengths and weaknesses at an impressive rate.

Dow doesn't win you the ball back, which has been the case all year.

The fact that he has gone to another level with his clearance work though, and in recent weeks has started to be a scoring threat and is working harder to find space are all promosing signs for his development.

His output has been the focus but his development this year has somewhat slipped under the radar. He is improving both his strengths and weaknesses at an impressive rate.

It seems like maybe they are starting from scratch with him. Getting him to dominate the midfield, then adding an offensive layer, and hopefully a defensive layer as the season goes on, entering 2023 as a well-rounded mid.

Our development of some players outside the 22 is somewhat perplexing. Like the Kennedy reports of “just two inside midfielder spots” we seem to be trying to groom inside guys who we see as potential top team candidates, for peripheral roles. Setterfield doesn’t get to play inside at all. Philp was tried in a variety of roles half back, wing etc, but did not excel and come under recruiter’s notice until he went in the guts, breakaway speed and tackling intent were his greatest strengths. He is now asked to adapt to a foreign role as Dow, Fog and VFL listed players inhabit the square. I understand this is AFL and nit everyone can play inside, but we seem to be consigning some boys to the scrap heap. Don’t underestimate the absence of Will Hayes after the elevation of Jack Carroll has weakened our twos inside. For the good things Dow does, he exposes weaknesses through not defending. Perhaps everything is focussed on educating one player? His review should not be “pretty”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dow had averaged around 4 tackles a game up until today - and some VFL games are just low on tackles in general

Bit of overkill that he had one game with zero tackles

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
Thanks for perspective. I haven't seen all VFL games this year, and I needed that.

Thanks for perspective. I haven't seen all VFL games this year, and I needed that.
Me neither, looked it up to see if today was the norm. Half the games he had 5 or more, others 1-3. A lot of tackle numbers for the reserve side are around 50-70 in any game

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Jim he didn’t have a good game. I like him a lot but that meandering ‘run along next to an opponent with the ball’ rubbish is just not on.
I watched several instances of him helping transition the ball from D50 to the forward half of the ground. Agree that he can't just coast up and down the field, but he is trying to push himself to more contests.

You can also see that he is leaner than the start of the season.

Just looks like he possess a little uncertainty and confidence within his game, surely has had some injury setbacks in the first few seasons…

From what I’ve seen of him, he’s been tried as a pressure forward which isn’t really really his strength, he has good pace and defensive pressure but he has the feel of a midfielder, unfortunately atm not anywhere clean or damaging enough…

He struggled to get the ball and he’s not clean. And if he’s not clean in VFL he’s going to struggle in AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The AFL games we've seen of Philp so far were FULL of fumbles so that's not a great sign that he's still doing it even at VFL level.

Honestly, his debut was probably the most fumbles I've seen a player make ever.

Right now Philp is playing as a poor man's Cottrell - unless already contract I don't think he'll be on an AFL list next year
Philp is contracted for another year. Hasn’t had a great injury run and they are trying to reinvent him. I agree that he would be under scrutiny if not for his contract, but has time, and upside.

I will also say that there is not one player on the list deserving of being delisted. It comes down to a numbers game. Where are we strong and weak on the list. Both Dow and Setterfield are being spoken of as trade options regularly, as they should be. However, if not for the midfield becoming a strength that is arguably the competition’s best and still developing (Carroll along with Walshy and Cez still being “kids”).

At year’s end we are going to need a minimum of four main list spots and likely two rookie spots freed up. At the moment, we have Jones’ spot and probably Ed. I am not privy to any inside info, but can see Dow and/or Setters traded to make four senior spots. On contract status, current form and more pertinently need I suspect Williamson and Fogarty to be considered along with ageing Newnes who is under threat from multiple players for a wing spot, if required. Currently I have Parks and McDonald as the most at risk rookies. Parks an excellent “piece” in the twos, but a third tall with lesser skills than Marchbank, McGovern, Kemp and Plowman in that role, while we have Dom Akuei developing as a free hit Cat B. Clearly McDonald fills a needs role as a genuine, proven swingman who can ruck at a pinch. Bar the first couple of weeks of the last two seasons he has been a non entity due to chronic injury. He has undergone surgery, hopefully we have time to assess the effectiveness of that surgery so as not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

One of our senior list spots will be required to upgrade the status of Matt Owies. I am hoping that upgrade is only a one year contract initially, as we assess the rise of Motlop and Honey in relation to the top team along with Durds and Fish beside other utility/forward types.

I am constantly perplexed when posters trumpet significant list changes. We are well past that now. We need to “balance” the list at season’s end with a couple of long term tall prospects brought in after hopefully finding an insurance type, at very least, tall at the imminent mid season draft. It is not beyond possibility that we only move on three main listers, including Jones and use the Owies upgrade for the required third pick. Thinking Matt Cottrell has just about earned a main list spot, but he and O’Brien give us the luxury of remaining rookie eligible for another two years.

Akuei

He doesn’t hunt the man at all. Doesn’t even seem to occur to him. His mindset seems to be “I haven’t got it and can’t get it so I’ll wait.” He just doesn’t value that part of the game. It’s pretty disappointing. With his explosiveness he could really get after them. I suspect his endurance is so bad that every time he tries that he just can’t run for the next few minutes so doesn’t do it.
Voss isn't going to accept that. I don't think it matters how good he is at the other stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2022 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back