VFL 2022 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched this game or much vfl this year but reports on Philp seem disappointing. He seemed better before his injury issues last year.

For those that have been watching, is there hope for him development wise or have we made a recruiting blue? He was a a decently high pick and pretty highly rated when he arrived if I recall correctly.
It's hard when you're struggling for touch and playing in the forward line. Nothing helps restore your touch better than playing in the midfield and getting your hands on it 25-30 times. Then once you're feeling good, you can return to the forward line and make the most of the 10-15 opportunities you get.

Dow doesn't win you the ball back, which has been the case all year.

The fact that he has gone to another level with his clearance work though, and in recent weeks has started to be a scoring threat and is working harder to find space are all promosing signs for his development.

His output has been the focus but his development this year has somewhat slipped under the radar. He is improving both his strengths and weaknesses at an impressive rate.
Think one of Dow's biggest areas where he needs to improve is his tank. This year in the 2's and late last year in the ones he has seemed to get heaps of possessions in the first half [15-20] only to drop off in the second [ 5-10].

Right now Philp is playing as a poor man's Cottrell - unless already contract I don't think he'll be on an AFL list next year
He's a better kick than Cottrell if he doesn't fumble, not that he's playing wing, as he's been a defensive forward all year. Yet another balanced mid not playing any minutes as a balanced mid.

I will also say that there is not one player on the list deserving of being delisted. It comes down to a numbers game. Where are we strong and weak on the list.
I call bullshit on this, and present a hypothetical: if list sizes were reverted to 38-40 & 4-6, do you seriously believe that we have no players to delist that would never get signed by the other 17 clubs?

Every club has deadwood, we are no exception. Some have been cruelled by injury and can't compete, some just don't have enough athletic ability to make it at the grade, some have too many flaws in their skill set, some can't handle high performance requirements, some were just bad decisions from the beginning. We're so used to the latter that we too readily take all the former outcomes and forever hold a candle.

We've still got a lot of role players who while are not as far back as White, Rowe, Davies and Prendergast types of yesteryear, are definitely holding back some straight forward development of players in the U23 bracket. Such types have been part of list strategy for so long now, that we have 23-25 year olds on our list that are still at a nascent stage in terms of realising their talent.

We should be looking to clear that bottleneck, and then figuring out what to do with that bracket of players, or we'll lose too many of them for a fraction of their market value. Enough with the hoarding.
Voss isn't going to accept that. I don't think it matters how good he is at the other stuff.
Your quote winds up looking misleading given windows is describing Voss. 🤣

Match report ...

Paddy Dow was the Blues’ best, racking up 30 disposals and eight clearances while Jordan Boyd was very impressive off the half back line with 24 touches and five inside 50s.

Your quote winds up looking misleading given windows is describing Voss. 🤣

Let's go to the tape...

Akuei
Genuine question: why doesn't Dow feature in tackle column? Is it the way he was taught to play in juniors? Or is there something in his role that sees minimal to no tackles? It seems to me that if he could add this to his play it would increase his confidence, and probabilities in getting an AFL game. Does he need to find his own tackling coach? Again, genuine question...

He doesn’t hunt the man at all. Doesn’t even seem to occur to him. His mindset seems to be “I haven’t got it and can’t get it so I’ll wait.” He just doesn’t value that part of the game. It’s pretty disappointing. With his explosiveness he could really get after them. I suspect his endurance is so bad that every time he tries that he just can’t run for the next few minutes so doesn’t do it.

Voss isn't going to accept that. I don't think it matters how good he is at the other stuff.

The way I read it, "Akuei" is unrelated to the main response. I replied to his main response, which seemed to be pretty clear in referring to Dow.

Think one of Dow's biggest areas where he needs to improve is his tank. This year in the 2's and late last year in the ones he has seemed to get heaps of possessions in the first half [15-20] only to drop off in the second [ 5-10].
Could it be lack of rotations? If he was in the seniors his midfield minutes would be a lot less and his bench time would be more. But yes, could be an issue.

FT4e2rsUYAAENDG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say I look at VFL side through AFL list lens and so been taking an interest in players like Mirkov. But I see Luke Goetz will be ruck today. Cannot find much about him apart from 201cm, formally on WB list.... can someone direct me to more info? How will he go...?

Also nominated for the MSD. Played some games for us over the past season (or 2?).

Setterfield should be playing mostly as an inside mid in this match, surely?
The Club is obviously trying to find a spot/role on the list for both Setterfield and Williamson - giving them extended time on a wing. Setterfield has some credibility/experience as an onballer already and Williamson as a defender, so I am guessing not a bad idea to give them a chance to build a consistent body of work in a second role.

Kemp is my concern - he has been mucked a round a fair bit this year. Too much talent to be pidgeon holed as a developing utility .

Still the lack of KPP depth at Carlton is stunting a lot of proper development in VFL for non KPP types and for developing a real like for like game plan between VFL and AFL.

The Club is obviously trying to find a spot/role on the list for both Setterfield and Williamson - giving them extended time on a wing. Setterfield has some credibility/experience as an onballer already and Williamson as a defender, so I am guessing not a bad idea to give them a chance to build a consistent body of work in a second role.

Kemp is my concern - he has been mucked a round a fair bit this year. Too much talent to be pidgeon holed as a developing utility .

Still the lack of KPP depth at Carlton is stunting a lot of proper development in VFL for non KPP types and for developing a real like for like game plan between VFL and AFL.

Setterfield inside (more ball winning, less emphasis on tackling)
Willo wing has merit
Kemp on the wing does as well

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2022 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back