Autopsy 2022 Round 14 Slow starting Blues have disappointing loss

Who played well for the Blues in our round 14 match vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s happened to our dominant clearance game? Live at the game it was that and particularly in the first half how evident their spare man behind the ball killed us. Docherty played that role well in the second half but it was too little too late. Frustrating night I thought.

Feels like our development has turned a corner. Love having Austin at the club.

Boyd was an inspired pick, I think most people including myself couldn’t see why we’d need another running defender, but he is tough and grows each game I see him.

One of the best attributes of a strong football club is finding diamonds in the rough and developing them into strong role players.

I think with Boyd, Cotts, Owies we are starting to do this.

The ones we need to drop games (tigers,pies) have pretty soft runs with games against WC, north.

Haven't really looked at the ones around us to see who has a tough run but we will be playing them in a lot of 8 point games without a kp defender
If we want to be a too 8 side we should beat Eagles, Giants, Crows no matter who we have in.

Get a few players back and no reason we can't beat alot of the others.

Freo undermanned will be tough but it's also at home. Saints aren't that good, definitely beatable.

You bring in weitering and pittonet and we are almost back to our first half side (Williams is no loss and we've covered him easily)

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

I'm sure its already been stated, but really enjoying what I'm seeing from Boyd. Every game he looks better and better... if we had no injuries I dont think he's in our best 22 at the moment, but he's showing a lot and I think will keep improving.

Right now I'm picking him over Stocker.... which pains me to say.

He has to be playing with a dodgy calf- which is a bad sign because it is an old man's injury.
OR
He is just not that good.
46400a2a7d0adbef3aacbe144f3c232c.jpg

You have to be a passionate supporter to be this up in arms after a loss, we’re still in the 8 and we’re one week closer to regaining our preferred KPP players.

What happens on field is out of our control, just strap yourself in and enjoy the ride. I had fun watching tonight’s game, except the first quarter of course.

I didn't really rate our 2nd quarter all that much tbh.

Fair to say we actually need to put 4 solid quarters if we are a chance of being a frisky up and about Freo.

What’s happened to our dominant clearance game? Live at the game it was that and particularly in the first half how evident their spare man behind the ball killed us. Docherty played that role well in the second half but it was too little too late. Frustrating night I thought.
Moving pieces/injury - no pittonet, Cripps missed a couple and then changed roll because of no pittonet, Kennedy missed a couple, Hewitt missed a couple, now cerra.....

All of a sudden there is no consistency in the middle. I don't get why when we lose a key mid we don't bring in dow or someone else to replace them in the middle....like we are playing a mid short at times

Yes, but then you would be putting yourself out of a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
prefer you didn't speak on behalf of others...........not everyone agrees with your assessments.............

76 i50s tonight, previously 64 was the highest we've conceded then right down to 56.
For comparison we conceded 40 in R1. Put it down to conditions and not being able to control the ball with uncontested marks? or lack of effort? or both?

Richmond were better for longer, it's that simple IMO.

We took too long to adjust to the conditions. For at least a quarter and a half we handballed way too much and our forward 50 entries were putrid.

They got it out of our 50 way too easily and with the amount of entries they had, we're lucky our backline held up the way it did.

Some questionable frees paid to the Tigers and some missed for us was frustrating but definitely not the reason we lost.

If it wasn't conclusive that the ball was touched, it should have been a goal but there's sweet f.a we can do about it.

Now it's time to ride it out and wait for some blokes to come back

If it's gameplan based, it needs to be tweaked quickly, as the amount of times Walsh kicks long (generally with his head down and not at the target point) rather than dishing handball/give a go or looking for a shorter target is costing us on the turnover

His disposal efficiency was poor again tonight
He’s not a great kick run receive yes but your right should at least try to kick to advantage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

76 i50s tonight, previously 64 was the highest we've conceded then right down to 56.
For comparison we conceded 40 in R1. Put it down to conditions and not being able to control the ball with uncontested marks? or lack of effort? or both?
I out it down to being smashed around the ground

Was a weird game tonight, fwds sat way too deep and clustered and it seemed the smalls were up the ground, something went wrong with the structure all night

They played an extra behind the ball and still killed us the contest. Almost everytime we went forward it was to an outnumber a they would slingshot back to other way. Our extra up the ground was just ineffective.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Moving pieces/injury - no pittonet, Cripps missed a couple and then changed roll because of no pittonet, Kennedy missed a couple, Hewitt missed a couple, now cerra.....

All of a sudden there is no consistency in the middle. I don't get why when we lose a key mid we don't bring in dow or someone else to replace them in the middle....like we are playing a mid short at times

Yeah, I think having a centre-square packed with "bulls" was OK when oppositions were on the hop, and trying to respond on the run. Now, we are too slow. Opposition ruckmen have worked out that we are vulnerable when the ball is tapped to space, and unfortunately De Koning's tapwork is not yet good enough to stop it happening consistently.

Lately, we have actually looked better when Fisher attends the centre-bounces, just because he covers more ground and seems better able to reach the true fall of the ball. We need to balance contested strength more with speed/agility. I don't think we can keep sending Cripps/Kennedy/Hewett all in there, bounce after bounce.

I think sides have clued on that TDK is a poor tap ruckman and our mids a bit slow. Opposition rucks are now just wacking the ball into space and beating our guys to it with their small faster mids. Need Pittonett back and should take Goldstein as cover next year. A decent tap ruck is imperative to our game plan so can't afford not having one.

Get a few players back and no reason we can't beat alot of the others.

Freo undermanned will be tough but it's also at home. Saints aren't that good, definitely beatable.

You bring in weitering and pittonet and we are almost back to our first half side (Williams is no loss and we've covered him easily)

Agree. Reasonably confident we will win at least one of next two. Playing well at Marvel. Win the ones we should win against Eagles, Giants and Crows. Then at least one of Geelong, Lions, Dees and Pies and we are firmly in 8 and pushing top 4 with some luck. Have to feel confident against Pies with a hopefully much healthier list. Fairly confident for Cats as well.

Really need at least one of next two to keep momentum for when we start getting players back.

To the Richmond fans like reacting and lol'ing at posts. It's all you can do you weak dogs, celebrate a win over a depleted team. We will meet you with a full side next time and it won't even be close.

Looking forward to them dropping down the ladder in a few years as their guns retire and making an annual tradition of belting them in round 1.

Why do we always drop games when our stars play in milestone games?

Tonight we were monstered around the stoppage just like the collingwood game.

I think our midfield set up has been found out and we need to change it ASAP we are too one paced inside and if we lose the tap it seems teams zoom it out of the stoppage and drive it forward and score from it so our "one wood" as all the w***ers like David King say is not working like the first 5 or so weeks and we could rectify this against inferior opposition like * by scoring off drives from half back but seasoned campaigners with bigger bodies and a good ruck man expose the mids way too much.

Docherty,Saad,Cripps,Walsh,McKay,Boyd,Hewett,Newman,Obrien were all good and tried hard all night in trying conditions but the ferals out bodied and were way harder at the ball and were doing all the unsociable stuff and getting away with it we lost this game in the first quarter as the ferals were firing and we played like we were stunned by how hard they were going at the ball and hopefully we can take the loss and build on it and use it as a lesson of what hard at it finals type aggression will be like if we cam manage to win at least 4 games in the next 9 and play finals.

We have to win 2 of the next 3 or we may find we might not get to play in the finals.

GO BLUES!

I think sides have clued on that TDK is a poor tap ruckman and our mids a bit slow. Opposition rucks are now just wacking the ball into space and beating our guys to it with their small faster mids. Need Pittonett back and should take Goldstein as cover next year. A decent tap ruck is imperative to our game plan so can't afford not having one.
I think Prestia said exactly that, Carlton too good in close so they tried to hit it further. Either him or some of the analysis after the game

Why do we always drop games when our stars play in milestone games?

Tonight we were monstered around the stoppage just like the collingwood game.

I think our midfield set up has been found out and we need to change it ASAP we are too one paced inside and if we lose the tap it seems teams zoom it out of the stoppage and drive it forward and score from it so our "one wood" as all the w***ers like David King say is not working like the first 5 or so weeks and we could rectify this against inferior opposition like * by scoring off drives from half back but seasoned campaigners with bigger bodies and a good ruck man expose the mids way too much.

Docherty,Saad,Cripps,Walsh,McKay,Boyd,Hewett,Newman,Obrien were all good and tried hard all night in trying conditions but the ferals out bodied and were way harder at the ball and were doing all the unsociable stuff and getting away with it we lost this game in the first quarter as the ferals were firing and we played like we were stunned by how hard they were going at the ball and hopefully we can take the loss and build on it and use it as a lesson of what hard at it finals type aggression will be like if we cam manage to win at least 4 games in the next 9 and play finals.

We have to win 2 of the next 3 or we may find we might not get to play in the finals.

GO BLUES!
Is 150 a big milestone? Used to be 200, 250 and 300 were the big milestones ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 14 Slow starting Blues have disappointing loss

Back