Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Arrow, the fade outs are there to be seen and discussed. Have been for a while. Are you going to argue otherwise.

Are you going to argue that the same goal run ons that contributed to teague being sacked, and lack of momentum control are ok under Voss. Its not about sacking the coach, its about being realistic at this point of the season. 4-1 flatters the actual performances. Plenty on here agree with me.

I'm suggesting we should look at the way we play, not get caught up in the W. I want to see us become a 4 qtr team, not an inconsistent flash in the pan.

Instead of attacking the poster, which you have track history of doing... enlighten me as to what Dow is not doing right in 2s to warrant his chance, to replace Cripps on the wkend.

Match committee saw fit to select him as sub, which is the ultimate non decision.

Surely he would have been better for his development to play VFL, if not AFL. Sitting on a bench is not going to make him better.

Of the teams, doing what needs to be done, demons, lions, swans, are stand outs.

Freo and stk starting to put full games together. Both see the kill and execute. Both you would have thought around the same mark as us

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

JP, you have a history of focusing on what is going wrong, rather than having any semblance of balance. Almost all sides are a work in progress, especially where we are from a rebuild perspective. Every week, a handful of sides suffer momentum swings, we are no different. Would it feel different if sides traded goal for goal, with the same result?

Last year, the Demons had maybe 6-7 games where they had, what could be considered 4 qtr dominance, we came into this season as a contender to merely make finals, 11-13 wins and that hasn't changed.

If you don't know why Dow isn't in the side, I can only assume you haven't watched that many games, in the past and his VFL outings this year. The likes of Newnes and Cotts won selection due to having more defensive acts and intent, compared to Dow.

Demons are the standout team.

Lions, while being 2 years ahead of our rebuild, barely beat Port at home, then have played 2 other bottom 4 sides, beat the Pies by a goal and lost to Geelong. There formline isn't great either

Swans beat an average GWS, good win against the Cats despite having less scoring shots, lost to the Dogs, a side we beat, fell in against North, beat struggling WC

Dockers fell in against the Crows (after giving up a 40+ point swing, sound familiar?), lost to the Saints at home, then won games against 3 other bottom 6 sides

Saints, also 2 years ahead of our rebuild, lost to the Pies, but have had some convincing wins since

Apart from the Demons and possibly the Saints, which of those other teams have shown the consistency you believe is that much better than us?

No issue with discussing areas of improvement, we have a number of them, just like most of the sides in the competition, but without the balance of what is working, you just come across as a whinger

Indictment? We're 4-1 and you're calling for Voss's head with the use of that word.

We're playing the long game. Trying to build sustainable success.

Perhaps MK felt he was ok, and as one of Voss's trusted lieutenants, he kept his spot, and perhaps by not playing to the level we know he can, he might have used up a little good will.

I have no issues them making Dow wait a little longer.
Why need to sensationalize?
He didn't call for Voss's head at all
Demanding better performance, to address and established pattern of behaviour, is completely acceptable

It must be a fitness thing. We stop running and overlapping completely as the game progresses. We couldn't clear the ball out of our defensive half for a long period in the last quarter yesterday, like what happened against hawthorn and the WB. And that was purely because we weren't presenting in space anymore.

There is no way Voss will admit that publicly.
Obviously the club is aware of this because there was a 10 minute period in the third where we were camped in our forward 50 unable to convert. It seemed we went hammer and tong to try break the game before fatigue kicked in but we just couldn't score.

And oh yeah, Hewett is an absolute gun.

Yep and in all 3 games that led to us hack kicking it forward under pressure to an outnumbered forward line, or kick it high on the head of guys like Owies & Durdin, where they would intercept and counter again and again.

Not sure if it's just lack of fitness or we become risk adverse as a team, but yeah there seemed like opportunities to get some overlap run off half back in the second half but no one did. Could be tactical to slow the game down and keep our structure behind the ball to 'protect' our lead. Clearly not working though. The one goal we scored in the last quarter which won us the game we didn't get overlap run, but we hit short, 45 degree kicks until it got to Newnes who charged forward and kicked it long and over the top to Curnow. First time in a long time we turned their defence around.

Lok at the ga
When did I call for Voss's head.

I suggesting that as a professional experienced coach, with great support they need to fix the HT fade outs.

And additonally be sensible in selection.
We dont need to carry injured players after 5 rounds particularly when like for like swap performing well in the 2s should be rewarded.

The fade outs are a trend not an anomaly. Evident in pre season as well. Its on the coaches to fix it strategically, and the players to execute it.

Apart from long down the line and as another poster said, slow play when other team already has the momentum, what are we doing? Its clearly not the solution.

Look beyond the W, look at the game.
50pts up mid way thru the 3rd to win by 3pts, not good enough.

In 2016, North went on a 9 game winning streak to be top of ladder mid season. Only to fade and scrape into 8. Then be bundled out.

There is precedent for what we are seeing. Forget the W.

Hinkley himself said they always thought they were a chance even 50pts down. We are not feared nor ruthless. Good teams at 50pts up go on with it.

Look at the game?

I say look at our recent history of being perennial losers, and appreciate the improvement in such a short time.

We're not a good team yet. We are not feared or ruthless yet.

I just reckon that this is the best it's been for a decade. So I am going to enjoy it for what is, rather than some unattainable, unrealistic ideal considering all the factors of young team, new coach, history of losses etc.

I don't think we expected TDK to be this far off the pace, sadly.

Think he had an operation to remove a blood clot from his shoulder (whatever that means... super vague). Could mean they had to remove part of his 1st rib if it was thoracic outlet syndrome (which would explain his form), or just get rid of the clot with an open thrombectomy/embolectomy.

Perhaps he just needs more time.

Yeah certainly not giving up on TDK, he's still only 22. But he'll need to develop fast since looking at our list profile, we really should be contending from 2023 onwards.

At the moment we are screwed if Pitto gets injured, and have zero cover for Curnow/Mckay. I'd feel a lot better if Casboult was on the list, knowing he'd be adequate cover if any of them got injured. Even showed to be a good key defender that year Jones was out.

We probably need to draft a mature forward/ruck as backup, like Jack Hayes from Saints.

Ok…a few beers? Later….
I don’t get why so many here are upset…we may not be destroying teams… but we are winning.
im not quite sure what the issue is… but we r winning.
why, after all these years are so many of u upset that we are winning?🤔
who really cares how we are doing this just that we are doing thisis all that should matter.
if we are leading in the GF by 50 & win by 3 will u still complain?
who f*n cares as long as we r winning..
I know its heart attack time, but fk me if that’s how I go out by winning I’ll b in heaven with back street boys singing
enjoy whats happening, ride the intangibles, it’s fun, it hurts but damn me it’s better than what has been.

carn the blues!
no one remembers how you won, just that you did!

It must be a fitness thing. We stop running and overlapping completely as the game progresses. We couldn't clear the ball out of our defensive half for a long period in the last quarter yesterday, like what happened against hawthorn and the WB. And that was purely because we weren't presenting in space anymore.

There is no way Voss will admit that publicly.

Obviously the club is aware of this because there was a 10 minute period in the third where we were camped in our forward 50 unable to convert. It seemed we went hammer and tong to try break the game before fatigue kicked in but we just couldn't score.
If it is fitness, it will improve as the season goes on. I tend to agree with rounds 1-3 as we looked lethargic and out on our feet but round 4 and 5 I thought we ran the game out fine, we just didn’t execute to the game plan as we would like to.

We outscored GC in the last quarter, in hot and humid conditions.

I think it’s just between the ears and we will be prone to fade-outs, as if we aren’t used to winning.

The club looks at the GPS stats post game, I know this as my friend has worked for multiple AFLW clubs in the SnC department and they interface closely with the mens program. Total KM covered per game is a very valid KPI. If there are performance dips, these will be brought to the attention of the coaching staff and MC.

When did I call for Voss's head.

I suggesting that as a professional experienced coach, with great support they need to fix the HT fade outs.

And additonally be sensible in selection.
We dont need to carry injured players after 5 rounds particularly when like for like swap performing well in the 2s should be rewarded.

The fade outs are a trend not an anomaly. Evident in pre season as well. Its on the coaches to fix it strategically, and the players to execute it.

Apart from long down the line and as another poster said, slow play when other team already has the momentum, what are we doing? Its clearly not the solution.

Look beyond the W, look at the game.
50pts up mid way thru the 3rd to win by 3pts, not good enough.

In 2016, North went on a 9 game winning streak to be top of ladder mid season. Only to fade and scrape into 8. Then be bundled out.

There is precedent for what we are seeing. Forget the W.

Hinkley himself said they always thought they were a chance even 50pts down. We are not feared nor ruthless. Good teams at 50pts up go on with it.

And everyone knows we're a work in progress.

As someone else said, 50 points up at half time gives you a bloody good shot at winning the game!

And everyone knows we're a work in progress.

As someone else said, 50 points up at half time gives you a bloody good shot at winning the game!
like declaring, setting them 350 to get and winning by 12 runs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m actually pleasantly surprised we are 4-1 … and I believe Voss and the coaches can take credit for that … we have some really obvious deficiencies especially in defence where we are carrying two or three players not up to it and we also have no wings to speak of … we also I believe are very weak in the ruck department … Pitto is solid but around the ground doesn’t do enough … can’t remember when he last took a relieving mark to take the pressure off … our strengths are our two key forwards and the mids right now and those elements have got us to 4-1 remarkable really … the upside is it’s now very obvious what we need to bring in or develop to go to the next level … and this time I’m super confident we have the right people off field to get us there … in the meantime I’m gonna keep enjoying this season it’s exciting and I don’t care whether we smash teams or fall over the line … I’m loving it …

I want to see Stocker in the side, rate him a lot higher than the Cotrells of this world. We also need to see Dow. if this continues, he is gone from the club at the end of the year. I was sure he would be in the side when Cripps missed. He can have an enormous impact when he is on and needs to be encouraged. Do you think there is some tough love going on with the hope of returning him soon OR that Voss sees no future in him? I see a future in him but am losing faith its going to be a future in the Navy Blue.

Neither Stocker nor Dow are direct swaps for Cotts as it looks like the coaches are very focussed on playing players in positions they have trained in which is a good thing, therefore Cotts is in direct competition with the likes of LOB, Setters, Newnes and possibly Carroll and Philp for the wing spots.

Stocker is seen as a defender by the coaches so he’ll only come in for someone like Newman or if one of Saad, Williams or Doc get injured.

I thought Dow would come in for an injured Cripps so I guess he will have to wait for further injuries or loss for form to others in the midfield rotation.

Shout out to Jack Martin . Great first half .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I had to watch on TV as in iso with the family. Jeez he was hitting the contest hard and fast around the half forward in the first half. Great speed and power. Great to see, needs to keep it up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kenny is also still believing finals are a chance. He’s an optimist but you’ve got to believe you can fight back at all times. He got some of their younger brigade to do the heavy lifting as well.
All teams will consider themselves a chance against us even with a huge deficit, it is a reality and now even more so. The good news is that it will only take a few games to change that.

In my opinion we aren’t getting the balance right in our collective mindset and are becoming too defensively minded, too concerned with defensive positioning rather than creating options. This leads to lack of options and hence long slow kicks down the line. We end up holding on for dear life, the opposition gain confidence and so it goes. Thankfully we have been able to wrestle back enough momentum before it is too late, when we know that we need at least another goal if we are to win.

Several posters have mentioned the lead up to Charlie’s last goal as an example of what we need to be doing more of at a much earlier stage and I agree completely.

I’m encouraged by what we have been able to do so far this year, our best is as good as any team. But clearly we still have a lot of work to do before we can be considered a legitimate premiership threat.

says a smoking baby

80987.jpg

George Hewett 5.2 centre clearances a game. Easily the best in the competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Back