Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Your memory is better than mine but did anyone really complain about this draft selection?
There was a lot of angst over selecting a player in an area we had a number of players already, but from the very start the club was talking about playing Chapman all over the ground.

Reiwoldt had a ridiculous tank. Will be amazing if Chappy can develop that.

Sounds like he has the tools to. From his draft year:

Chapman's elite running capacity is highlighted by eye-catching testing results; notching a score of 21.6 on his preseason yo-yo test, while also taking out the West Australian combine's 2km time trial with a time of 6:30. More significantly, his endurance is showcased on-field with important repeat running.

Next year we need to find the next "Clive"

I’ve checked the last 5 years and this years potential draftees… none of them have the surname “Clive” … wonder if Clive Waterhouse’s kids have potential.

“I’ve got a couple of kids, I’ve got one that’s autistic so you start realising that life’s not all about you and it’s not all about footy and that’s not the be all and end all,” Waterhouse said.

Again I just don' t remember the "lot of angst". I must have been stoned again
Would you believe...some reservations?
Confused Get Smart GIF

Again I just don' t remember the "lot of angst". I must have been stoned again
there was a little bit of angst from people wanting forwards, and imo people were somewhat placated by chapman being a wa kid, if he was a vic kid we would have been angst city

Anyone who has done even a little investing knows that if you keep buying the same asset class you can get burnt.

The same goes for hbf-ers. They always look good. You need a couple. But if that's all you've got in your portfolio you don't have a winning formula.

I am definitely not happy with Chappy because he can be an elite hbf-er. In fact I'll be disappointed if that is who he is.

Good talent spotting by the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, unfortunately for some marketing reason these scratchies are kayo exclusive - maybe they couldn’t get the TV quality cameras in for broadcast like the domestic cricket
Thats interesting, I assumed Fox would show them if Kayo has em, sucks for people till paying for fox in this day and age.

Probably because Fox is still the old channel system? likely not enough channels to show all these games played at the same time and if they pick and choose they would be ripped apart.

Any idea why it's no crowd?
We are playing the same team the very next week with a crowd, so won't be Covid but it'll moreso be the fact that they don't think its viable and won't get enough people into the ground for 2 weeks in a row, with it being played at Optus it would have to be staffed decently for a crowd.

Said it here a few weeks back - I’d be surprised if Treacy ever plays a game for Peel again. As an 18 year old he was miles too good for the level last year and stuck out like a sore thumb. It was like watching an adult play with Aus kickers at times.

I’m 100% certain he would never have played a league match for peel last year and would have played from round 1 in the AFL only for the stupid suspension.
I think people automatically think that because he was a rookie he’s got more to prove or something, or that deep down he’s still inferior somehow to these first and second round picks.
It’s nonsense. You have to forget where he was drafted from its now totally irrelevant!!! He would be taken in the top 20 without doubt if there was a redraft tomorrow in any case.
It’s the old adage where if you are a high pick you get gifted games much easier than a rookie, due to this idea that “talent” that caused the player to be a high pick will eventually surface, and you got to keep pumping the games into them 🤔
Treacy is on that part of his improvement curve that is very steep and it’s exciting for us freo fans, he should be much better than last year and could easily kick 30 goals plus.
I think he could finish top 12 in the B&F this year if he stays injury free.

Josh Treacy is 19 years old…. Wow

Reminds me a little of Tom Hawkins, runs on his toes, quick and keeps his feet. So much upside here it’s crazy. That goal in the second derby to beat Shepperd (before concussed) not too many forwards could beat him when the ball was on the ground

A month or so ago I said Chapman will be considered the best youngster on our list in the not too distant future.

I also said bear with me a bit as he hasn’t had the chance to show it yet. Nice to see a few of you are coming around despite him not playing a game of AFL since then.

Really bullish on Chapman. We may have some other potential A Graders on the list but I genuinely think Chapman, assuming we eventually move him into the midfield, will be the one that ends up being talked about as one of the very best players in the league. Give it 5-6 years to reach that point but he’ll wow a quite a few from Round One this year. Going to be an absolute weapon.

Because he's played so few games, he's still eligible for the Rising Star.

Said it here a few weeks back - I’d be surprised if Treacy ever plays a game for Peel again. As an 18 year old he was miles too good for the level last year and stuck out like a sore thumb. It was like watching an adult play with Aus kickers at times.

I’m 100% certain he would never have played a league match for peel last year and would have played from round 1 in the AFL only for the stupid suspension.
I think people automatically think that because he was a rookie he’s got more to prove or something, or that deep down he’s still inferior somehow to these first and second round picks.
It’s nonsense. You have to forget where he was drafted from its now totally irrelevant!!! He would be taken in the top 20 without doubt if there was a redraft tomorrow in any case.
It’s the old adage where if you are a high pick you get gifted games much easier than a rookie, due to this idea that “talent” that caused the player to be a high pick will eventually surface, and you got to keep pumping the games into them 🤔
Treacy is on that part of his improvement curve that is very steep and it’s exciting for us freo fans, he should be much better than last year and could easily kick 30 goals plus.
I think he could finish top 12 in the B&F this year if he stays injury free.
Well said, I can't wait for my buddy to get more confidence and muscle which he can use to start wrecking other players.

Your memory is better than mine but did anyone really complain about this draft selection?

Pre-drafting there was a lot of pages like this - the sentiment was pretty much that it wasn't that they didn't like Chapman as a player per se, it was just that we were hoping we weren't taking him because he was a HBF and there was a lot of sentiment about taking a forward. See below for an example of the sentiment that tended to permeate (a few pages later Joose says he doesn't get all the hate for Chapman) - the votes as part of the young talent time thread showed that he was popular enough to be the second most preferred but the fact that we had a Victorian who had mainly played defence as well (and ruck) in Nik Cox at almost double the votes shows the other bit where a lot of people were just hoping that there would be some other better prospect to trump him.

List Mgmt. - 2020 Young Talent time

Post being drafted, most people got around him almost immediately, but there was (as there still is) a sentiment that he should be playing a position other than the one that he has pretty much played ie. HBF - that clearly shows up in his thread.

Post being drafted, most people got around him almost immediately, but there was (as there still is) a sentiment that he should be playing a position other than the one that he has pretty much played ie. HBF - that clearly shows up in his thread.
Personally I am fine with Chapman playing hbf. He is terrific there, as is Logue, Young, Clark, Walker, Hughes.

What I'm not fine with is having players, who are clearly best 22 calibre, languishing at Peel because their best position is hbf and we can't fit them all in. That would seem a poor use of our resources. And when I look at our stocks of hbf-ers Chapman looks the most likely to be able to transition to a different role.

It isn't that he "should" be playing a different role, it's that he "could ".

Personally I am fine with Chapman playing hbf. He is terrific there, as is Logue, Young, Clark, Walker, Hughes.

What I'm not fine with is having players, who are clearly best 22 calibre, languishing at Peel because their best position is hbf and we can't fit them all in. That would seem a poor use of our resources. And when I look at our stocks of hbf-ers Chapman looks the most likely to be able to transition to a different role.

It isn't that he "should" be playing a different role, it's that he "could ".

Peter Bell said we have him lined up for midfield / Forward role. That was when we drafted him .

Peter Bell said we have him lined up for midfield / Forward role. That was when we drafted him .
Didn't know that, and interesting to hear. Sounds like the club may have had a similar dilemma to what posters on here had.

Anyway no need to rush that process. Building confidence is critical with young players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back