Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we were getting a little too positive a couple of pages back, so it's good to see that a biased Roar article and some injury fears have spooked us back to reality. šŸ˜‚

Can't wait for the pre-season games to see where we stand against the competition. Off-season is fun, but sometimes it's impossible to see where we're really at as a club.

If I heard the radio right it sounded like there was an intraclub match on Friday?

Any details on that like timing/location/duration?
Can't see anything on their website/facebook.

Love to hear more, I had assumed it would be on Saturday but as the scratch match v WC is the next Friday that makes sense.

They are training tomorrow so I don't think they will train again on Friday.

I called the club this afternoon to check, because JL mentioned match sim on Friday in his presser. Apparently training tomorrow morning at Cockburn, with Friday/Saturday currently TBA, but whichever day it will be at Burswood and closed to public.

I don't necessarily disagree with the overall message, but I think there's a nastiness in the way it's written.

Compare it to the write up for Carlton, who were more disappointing last year, and have been a lot more disappointing this century. There's none of the snide remarks like "A club cloaked in failure", "their players have been well-accustomed to holidays in September.", "they were somehow sitting in seventh after Round 17", etc.

Jordan Clark was 'picked around the fringe, an offcut from another club, but Lewis Young was 'a canny piece of list management'.

Best case scenario for Carlton is top 4, for Freo it's maybe finals bound.
Yeah Cam Rose has been a long time, not quite hater, but definitely more negative nancy on Freo. His logic is on the bodgy-side at the best of times, but it takes a bit more of a turn when offering a view on the Dockers. This of course triggers a certain poster on there, whose posts tend to trigger a whole bunch of others (as he is often belligerently ****-eyed), which all results in a lot more interactions. Those interactions are bread'n'butter for a tiny site like TheRoar/AFL. So we could take a mediocre review or a grudging half-compliment as high praise coming from Cam Rose (he's also a Richmond supporter, so he's gone from Freo-rivalry to smug condescension across the past few years).

Training Report - 17/02
Very light session at Cockburn today. My notes are as follows:

1. Mundy, Darcy, Schultz, Aish, Brodie and Fyfe in all drills.
2. Tabs and Treacy still on light drills.
3. Benning and Tucker running seperately and Sonny working 1-1 with trainer.
4. Great to see forwards kick to leading targets and at goals, whilst defenders completing drills kicking it out of back pocket onto half back flank. Heath Chapman looks exceptional in everything.
5. Cox looks super fit - any puppy fat is completely gone.
6. Karl wormer looks a neat unit - still a little slight but moves and kicks well.
7. Light session overall with Fyfe, Aish, Brodie, Amiss and Worner doing small drills at the end of the session, whilst the playing group headed back inside.

4. Great to see forwards kick to leading targets and at goals, whilst defenders completing drills kicking it out of back pocket onto half back flank. Heath Chapman looks exceptional in everything.
6. Karl wormer looks a neat unit - still a little slight but moves and kicks well.
7. Light session overall with Fyfe, Aish, Brodie, Amiss and Worner doing small drills at the end of the session, whilst the playing group headed back inside.
That's all good news.

Really hoping to see Chapman used in other areas of the ground.

Heath Chapman looks exceptional at everything... Even the way he moves seems to be exceptional. We haven't got much to go on due to his injury but I think his combination of agility, marking, foot skills and contested work are rare. I need to see more of him in games to guess at his ceiling but early indicators are, boy oh boy!

Heath Chapman looks exceptional at everything... Even the way he moves seems to be exceptional. We haven't got much to go on due to his injury but I think his combination of agility, marking, foot skills and contested work are rare. I need to see more of him in games to guess at his ceiling but early indicators are, boy oh boy!
It's his contested work that gets me going...seems to hate losing and his repeat efforts are off the charts.

See I originally wanted him in the mid but he is basically KP size now so I don't know where to put him.

See I originally wanted him in the mid but he is basically KP size now so I don't know where to put him.

Has he grown or is that a pleasant myth? He is listed at 193 on our website which is just under the 195-199 that seems to be the range currently. I am not sure that matters if he is as good in the contest and in the air as I think he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't Tabs and Treacy play in the last simlation?

Tucker? I thought he'd done every session and was having a good preseason?
Awareness. Being ultra conservative with him I think.

JL seems confident heā€™ll be good to go for the first scratchie.

Yeah, no match sim, unfortunately. Just drills, with a few players doing little more than than 15-20 minutes before leaving the ground.

Only things I can add to the above:

1. Only players not sighted were Johnson (understandably) and Pearce(!)
2. Amiss was looking good during the small group session at the end

Lastly, one of the spectators asked Crowden about when the next match sim/intraclub was, and he said tomorrow at Cockburn ā€” which does not at all coincide with what I was told about the training being at Burswood, but I figure it's more important for the players to know where they're supposed to be than for the people answering the phones to know it.

Lastly, one of the spectators asked Crowden about when the next match sim/intraclub was, and he said tomorrow at Cockburn ā€” which does not at all coincide with what I was told about the training being at Burswood, but I figure it's more important for the players to know where they're supposed to be than for the people answering the phones to know it.
Maybe the staff have messed up and thought that you were talking about the Eagles V Freo scratchy at Optus in a weeks time?

In Burswood and closed to the public

I drove past at 11am expecting to see the end of training but there was nothing happening. Not sure why but there is a demountable stage set up behind the goals at the Eastern end of the ground at Cockburn. Also seemed to be a lot of advertising signs on the walls...

Are the girls playing at Cockburn this week? Otherwise could the club be planning to stream match sim tomorrow? I did just see the comment re Crowden saying match sim will be on tomorrow at Cockburn...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back