2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely this can't be true. If Bowes was on a contract commensurate with his worth he is a late 2nd Rd draft pick. I would have thought that if he has $1m over next 2 years that at most we would be sending back a pick in the 30s. Involving pick 7 to offload him then that is just ridiculous and maybe something other clubs think they can get, but the sun's list management team would have to be stood down if they did as they would have no credibility to do any future deals.

P.s. if this was an Atkins calibre player I could more understand

Surely this can't be true. If Bowes was on a contract commensurate with his worth he is a late 2nd Rd draft pick. I would have thought that if he has $1m over next 2 years that at most we would be sending back a pick in the 30s. Involving pick 7 to offload him then that is just ridiculous and maybe something other clubs think they can get, but the sun's list management team would have to be stood down if they did as they would have no credibility to do any future deals.

P.s. if this was an Atkins calibre player I could more understand
I'm going to emailing everyone I know at Suns corporate to call for his head if they do it. We are destroying all our good work.

Surely we get something back? First rounder? At least, I would hope :p

I would imagine so but it would have to be a trade up as the only teams that could afford to take on a salary dump are the teams just ahead of us in the draft order - North, Hawks, Crows, Eagles

I would imagine so but it would have to be a trade up as the only teams that could afford to take on a salary dump are the teams just ahead of us in the draft order - North, Hawks, Crows, Eagles
What about pick 7 and 25 and Bowes for 1, 2, 4 or 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks and Essendon would be my candidates. Saints probably too (Hill, Clark leaving). They could spread Bowes salary over 3 years.

2nd downgrade like Brodie will probably not dot it for Bowes as he still has 2 years to go. 1st downgrade could do. Get ready.

Faaark, this thread quickly turned into the reactionary bs that game day always does halfway through the first quarter.

Not one person has any clue what a deal would actually look like, who or what would come back, or even if such a deal exists outside of a media report.

Cool your jets people!
Did not expect melts so early without even any trade done yet. Just that pick 7 is on the market news triggered it :) Crazy.

Alright, so we want all our money in our most talented players.

King
Lukosius (big pressure)
Ainsworth
Anderson
Rowell
Miller
Witts
Swallow (delivering)
Ballard
Collins
Andrew
Hollands
Flanders

Players outside of this group of 13 players are role players and shouldn't be on significantly less money so that these 13 are happy to stay. If Bowes is on 700+ we can off load him, take pick 5 instead, then load up on older afl players like long, on a much better contract. It makes sense to me.

Alright, so we want all our money in our most talented players.

King
Lukosius (big pressure)
Ainsworth
Anderson
Rowell
Miller
Witts
Swallow (delivering)
Ballard
Collins
Andrew
Hollands
Flanders

Players outside of this group of 13 players are role players and shouldn't be on significantly less money so that these 13 are happy to stay. If Bowes is on 700+ we can off load him, take pick 5 instead, then load up on older afl players like long, on a much better contract. It makes sense to me.
I doubt Bowes in on 700K. Just because somebody said it here it does not mean it's correct. I can't remember but I believe he was not in that salary bracket in Herald (and who says Herald guesses are correct). Deferred salary? Possibly.

I would add Jeffrey to the list. Bloody talented. Signed 4 years contract when drafted.

I doubt Bowes in on 700K. Just because somebody said it here it does not meant it's correct. I can't remember but I believe he was in the salary bracket in Herald (and who says these numbers are correct). Deferred salary? Very possibly.

I would add Jeffrey to the list. Bloody talented.
AFL.com article said heavily backloaded. So if his average was 550-600k, he could well be owed 700+ for the next 2 seasons.

AFL.com article said heavily backloaded. So if his average was 550-600k, he could well be owed 700+ for the next 2 seasons.
We can speculate as much as we want. You could be correct. We could try spreading the money over more years like with Mcpherson or the team he will end up with could do it.

I would say more important is "Is Bowes in our future best 22 plans?" It does not look like. He was ordinary in games he got opportunity this year, is slow and I never liked him as HB. I am happy to go with Davies, Flanders, Hollands as midfield depth plus cheap Constable.

Re-signing Anderson and Rowell is a key. Could we do it even before pre-season starts? Please. I am a bit worried that Hawks will present monster offer to Anderson if he does not re-sign early. Hopefully, he is committed. But then I thought the same about Rankine.

Last edited:
Good to see alot of clubs express interest in Bowes, I love the guy.

But this is the path that has been written bout all week with the salary cap dumps etc.

Should not be surprised at all, at least with pick 7 reportedly on the table we have alot of options we can package Bowes + 7 for.

Also Bowes needs to agree to move there, he'll still getting paid reportedly $1mil/2 at least

So if i were him, i would chose the team i'm guaranteed minutes in and playing/on the verge of finals. No way would i leave the Suns who never played finals to just rot at another bottom side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back