2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be a really horrific trade period if things don't start improving.
Let's see -
1: 4 already delisted BUT no-one of any note
2: Rankine probably gone and will be missed
3: Sharp wants to go home - potential and worth keeping for at least one more year
4: Corbett, Burgess reportedly getting interest from another club - solid and great 2nd string players
5: Bowes - on the chopping block. Never quite been given a go BUT if salary is correct, he's way over paid as a support player.

That's potentially 9 players leaving with no definite arrivals (maybe Long).

...and of course we signed Caleb Graham to a 4 year contract at who knows what amount!

We still have Rory, Day and Atkins salaries creating issues as well.

Desperately need Anderson and Rowell to resign OR a big couple of signings to get the confidence levels up again.
I don't want to be smart a*s but I am bullish about next season. It's just Rankine gone from best 22 and we have replacements. A lot of inside growth next year, King and injured players back. Finals coming with a bit of luck. Just praying we don't get another 3 ACLs and don't finish season with 8 best 22 missing again.

Let's see -
3: Sharp wants to go home - potential and worth keeping for at least one more year
4: Corbett, Burgess reportedly getting interest from another club - solid and great 2nd string players
5: Bowes - on the chopping block. Never quite been given a go BUT if salary is correct, he's way over paid as a support player.

...and of course we signed Caleb Graham to a 4 year contract at who knows what amount!

Desperately need Anderson and Rowell to resign OR a big couple of signings to get the confidence levels up again.
I think this is all being blown out of proportion and incompetency is being assumed.
Think about it we know rankine is out and the club had 650k set aside for him, fiorini and sharp are likely out both with expected 400k salary, Corbett and Burgess looking likely to leave again expected to have 300k salaries and then bowes rumoured to be on as much as 600k+.

We should be asking why are they clearing so much money? That's approx 2.5mil+ for next year. Who are they bringing in to spend that money on? Or is it front loaded for king and Lukosious? Now isn't the time to draft more kids it's the time to bring in some quality players.

Let's see -

.....and forgot Fiorini!

I think this is all being blown out of proportion and incompetency is being assumed.
Think about it we know rankine is out and the club had 650k set aside for him, fiorini and sharp are likely out both with expected 400k salary, Corbett and Burgess looking likely to leave again expected to have 300k salaries and then bowes rumoured to be on as much as 600k+.

We should be asking why are they clearing so much money? That's approx 2.5mil+ for next year. Who are they bringing in to spend that money on? Or is it front loaded for king and Lukosious? Now isn't the time to draft more kids it's the time to bring in some quality players.
Can't really count corbett and burgess because they aren't contracted but yeah agree still think we are up to something more positive.

Just a bit more ranting on picks. Personally, I am bit annoyed by people in all forums constantly complaining how stupidly we use them.

What should we really do with so many of them? Seriously. Bring on another wave of top talent?

It is generally acknowledged around the league, that every first-round pick, especially top 10 now translates into 400K in 3rd year, 450K in 4th year. Top 5 even more. So, add 50K for Anderson and Rowell. That’s while they are still not fully developed and ready to deliver, and some may not even make it. Then comes next contract and it’s possibly 500K+. How many of them can Suns carry while they are developing and paid handsomely?

We got plenty of players like this. Anderson, Rowell, Hollands, Andrew (in 2024), Jeffrey, Sharp, Flanders, Davies, Budarick. I may missed someone. Who knows what we pay to Rosas.

Then top talent entering 5th year, Luko and King.

Then you got players like Powell and Ballard who will not be paid less. Ainsworth extended, probably on good coin too.

Yes, this started when Suns paid these amounts to Brodie, Scrimshaw, Ainsworth, Bowes in 2017 (supposedly close to 400K 3rd year) when we could do it. Next Bowes contract for sure was more, starting possibly 450-500K and then extras over years, possibly deferred and here we are with speculated 700K+ today. Fiorini could be similar story.

The point is that right now we can’t bring in too many top picks again if we don’t want to have revolving door later. We got to reduce number of players on good money like Fiorini, Bowes who can’t make the best 22 thus hopefully create some space for priority re-signing or to attract top player from outside.

People complain about role player Long coming in, but he will be on 450K (if you believe it) probably for the length of his contract and is fully developed, matured. Next year, Flanders could be on the same salary. Jeffrey on 400K and so on.

Thanks God for players like Farrar, Holman, Chol who I suspect are all on reasonable money.

Last edited:

You're assuming that the cap isn't FUBAR and that they actually have the option to keep Bowes. Potentially NEED to get rid of Bowes or they will be going to Miller, King and Luko and asking them to back end their deals to balance the books this year and kicking the can down the road another year.

You're assuming that the cap isn't FUBAR and that they actually have the option to keep Bowes. Potentially NEED to get rid of Bowes or they will be going to Miller, King and Luko and asking them to back end their deals to balance the books this year and kicking the can down the road another year.
I don't know. I remember, Evan telling that cap will be tight as the list mature but we planned and have money for re-signing Luko, King, Rankine, Anderson, Rowell. Now we saved 5% with Rankine leaving.

If our cap would be in serious trouble, I don't think we would be bringing in Long probably on good money.

Last edited:
I don't comment here very often, because I'm from the ole school and have no interest whatsoever in getting into the the social media crap........the only thing I use my phone for, is to let me know what time it is.........I know. I know ...I'm an ole fart

But I firmly believe in ...... "believe nothing you read and only half what you see".

And to be honest here, most people seem to be going off, and basing there opinions on what some journo puts in print...

None of us here on his footy forum have any idea what is the actual story here (SO I'M TOLD)....and to be quite honest really, I don't give a sh*t...

The only question I need to ask myself, at the end of the day, is ....."do I wish to continue supporting this Club"

And until the proof is in the pudding............the answer is YES...

It's about time some of you stop believing everything you read or hear.......

Rant over

My only issue is you have dew Cochrane miller and some others coming out saying how disappointed they are in rankine leaving and how much time and development they put into him then you have Bowes who came through the academy as a 12 year old a lot more time and development than rankine supported the club since inception stuck by with loyalty through thick and thin took the contract the club put to him now the club wants to push him out because of how much money they gave him?

You can’t say you’re disappointed people are leaving. I understand you can’t keep everyone and people have to come and go but then boot out someone at the same time why not just try renegotiate his contract? Being under contract still I hope he refuses trade tbh

My only issue is you have dew Cochrane miller and some others coming out saying how disappointed they are in rankine leaving and how much time and development they put into him then you have Bowes who came through the academy as a 12 year old a lot more time and development than rankine supported the club since inception stuck by with loyalty through thick and thin took the contract the club put to him now the club wants to push him out because of how much money they gave him?

You can’t say you’re disappointed people are leaving. I understand you can’t keep everyone and people have to come and go but then boot out someone at the same time why not just try renegotiate his contract? Being under contract still I hope he refuses trade tbh
Fair view IMO. The clubs are disappointed when players they want to keep are leaving but at the same time the clubs are pushing out players they don't consider in future plans.

IMO, Bowes comes down to 'Is he in the best 22?' Some people say yes, some no.

Sounds like the figure has been reverse engineered on BF - how bad would his contract be that they would have to give up pick 7 outright?
That's the thing I don't understand. There's been nothing out there that indicated we have a big salary cap problem.
I know we gave away Brodie and 19 last year and Wright for peanuts but thought that would ease things hugely.
I'm hoping that it's not ineptitude and there is an A grader coming.
Watch this space I suppose

We don't know, Bowes may have refused to renegotiate his contract like MacPherson did last year. All speculation at the moment. It is important move on these players on big wages who are running around in the VFL. (whether you think Bowes is best 22 is a different story, current coaching group don't think he is).

We need that money to retain key players like Anderson, but also bring in reinforcements.

GC: So we are going about things a bit differently this time, and all our potential trades have two components. We know you are after picks, and are considering maybe making a trade or two to get a couple of extras, so here goes.

Part One - We offer pick 'A' for 'Mr X'

Part Two comprises a win / win for us both. We need, as you know, to make cap space, and have a surplus of draft picks we are happy to use. So here is a list of players we MIGHT be willing to let go for the right deal for all concerned

Any player / players of interest?

HFC: We think 'John Smith' is someone we may have an interest in - but not on that contract you have him on!

GC: Yep - hear you. 'John' still has 2 years left on a $500,000 PA contract - total $1,000,000 in wages. When we signed him - we had to include extra for retention and potential - obviously his AFL output to date is nowhere near justifying that contract so here is what we think might suit both clubs.
Take John, and pay 50% of his contract and we will give you pick 'B'
Pay 100% of his contract and we will add pick 'C' to the deal

HFC: So if we are on the same hypothetical page...

GCFC get Mr 'X'
HFC get Pick 'A' for Mr 'X' plus 'John Smith' and picks 'B' and 'C' if HFC pay the $1,000,000 of his outstanding contract
GCFC get $500,000 off their cap for the next 2 years

GC: Correct

If this is anywhere near having any validity it shows a couple of things.

1) We finally realise we cannot drastically alter our list for the better until we get the fringe / surplus players on obscenely bloated contracts off the books

2) We are trying seriously to achieve this by 'buying' salary cap space - buying with surplus picks that we have - we aren't taking 8 kids in the draft. We have enough that need AFL time as it is.

3) By taking ALL current and potential 1st round picks off the table in this 'hypothetical scenario' we may have our eyes on a higher quality player - presumably younger - and are willing to pay up for the right player.

Clarkson is a hardarse. His way or there is a line drawn through you.
Ask Taylor Duyrea ,Matt Suckling, Cousins or Greaves - if you are done,you are done.
Clarkson is not a fan of 'outside influences' - so TT and his constant Social media commentary is something Clarkson would be irritated by.
Posting about his $$$ 10 minutes after a loss on IG is not tolerated under Clarkson - so I guess TT has to decide what's more important - social media and his entourage,or playing under Clarkson.

TT will have one shot at this. Clarkson bears a grudge like no-one else, and was a friggin nightmare at the Hawks after Chris Fagan left.
Fagan was the only one to keep him in check.

I don't think the North fans realise just how much Clarksons needs to run everything without question.

There was a reason Hodge, Mitchell,Lewis and Roughead were moved on early - Clarksons ego couldn't deal with having more highly regarded people still at the club.
Roughead especially, was furious when cut.

He is a spiteful little man when crossed - and he needs to prove to himself - or his ego does - that HE won those flags, and not the once-in-a-lifetime list of players.
He will make some strange calls to get early wins on the board and feed the 'greatest coach' narrative.
Regardless of the long-term future of the club.

Punching walls? Punching fans in Adelaide? Assaulting CEO Justin Reeves?
All true - and there is much more that was covered up.
As posted before - the salary dump has been underway for a while. Bowes,Fiorini,Sharp and Flanders + our picks have been thrown about for a while.

Bowes will not be the only salary dump - Sharp is another if it gets done.

Now you know why I posted about Clarkson being a prize dick.

I had no idea about the racism stuff - but there is waaay more shite to come out. Clarkson is a tosser of the highest order.

Which is why TT was (and still is) considering leaving Norf.

The Travis Tuck story will raise hackles everywhere if that comes into the media. And a lot more besides.

As posted before - the salary dump has been underway for a while. Bowes,Fiorini,Sharp and Flanders + our picks have been thrown about for a while.

Bowes will not be the only salary dump - Sharp is another if it gets done.

Now you know why I posted about Clarkson being a prize dick.

I had no idea about the racism stuff - but there is waaay more shite to come out. Clarkson is a tosser of the highest order.

Which is why TT was (and still is) considering leaving Norf.

The Travis Tuck story will raise hackles everywhere if that comes into the media. And a lot more besides.

I have on good authority Flanders has not been thrown about. Sorry mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like the clubs are fighting hard for Bowes. Jack has decision to make.

IF ...​

the Dockers became the big beneficiaries of the Suns' salary cap dump in the form of Will Brodie in last year's Trade Period

THEN ...​

it is understandable why Hawthorn, Essendon, Geelong and St Kilda are fighting hard for this year's salary cap dump player, Jack Bowes. Pick seven comes with his two-season salary.

I have on good authority Flanders has not been thrown about. Sorry mate.

I got that PM too. Respect the person who sent it.

Happy to be wrong with Flanders,but sometimes the player is the last to know.

If he can bring VFL form to AFL games,he will be best 22 for us no doubt.

When does Dew give him a chance?

Is he prepared to wait for Dew to decide,if another AFL club offers him a starting 22 round 1 berth?

This trade period is going to be massive across the whole competition I think.

Ben Long is a great start, but geez we do need another KPD and elite mid to make the jump to the top 8.

Next season should be a cracker for us :thumbsupv1:

It looks like the clubs are fighting hard for Bowes. Jack has decision to make.

The way I read this Bowes business is the the Suns will expect something back. For example Hawthorn's first next year? I know we don't really want first's next year with academy picks likely to absorb them, but they can be on traded.

The way I read this Bowes business is the the Suns will expect something back. For example Hawthorn's first next year? I know we don't really want first's next year with academy picks likely to absorb them, but they can be on traded.
Hawthorn won’t be involved in the draft next year
If they were smart they’d trade out every 2023 pick to use this year instead.
Once this racism story kicks off.
They’ll be banished for years

Hawthorn won’t be involved in the draft next year
If they were smart they’d trade out every 2023 pick to use this year instead.
Once this racism story kicks off.
They’ll be banished for years
Who knows how all that will play out. All the more reason for them to try and load up on picks this year if they suspect they lose future picks.. Collingwood had "issues" too in that direction didn't they? Don't recall them losing picks over it.

Hawthorn was selected at random, you could replace one of several other clubs in the example.

Trade board talking about bowes last 2 years being owed 1.6 million like it’s fact.

Has this actually been reported anywhere?

I have some bad bad news . .

On a slightly more positive note - our 4 top draftee options for next year are playing at 9.30am tomorrow in the Future's Match. Will Graham, Jake Rogers, Jed Walter and Ethan Reid. Time to get just a little excited for once. Not sure if it's televised - does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back