2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sexton plays 22 games you would want 35 goals. His lack of defensive pressure, or creative field play limits him to a role as a finisher. With rankine gone I think there is the opportunity there for him to team up with Rosas and Holman in the fwd line but if he's not kicking goals regularly then maybe berry gets his chance.. 2023 draft the best small fwd we can
I'm an unabashed Secco fan
I can only imagine the coaching selection panel believes his career 1+ goals a game doesn't outweigh the negatives
For a team like us that has always struggled to kick goals I find that counterintuitive

Will he take a non list position with the VFL-can we do that?
Yes, we can sign players for VFL only like Lions did last year.
Rory will continue to have a role with the club and we look forward to his involvement with the SUNS going forward.”

"Towards the end of the season … my knees were struggling to keep up. I wasn't doing too much training and was pulling up pretty bad after games.

"It was more the pain and being able to back up sessions and games was getting pretty difficult."

I'm an unabashed Secco fan
I can only imagine the coaching selection panel believes his career 1+ goals a game doesn't outweigh the negatives
For a team like us that has always struggled to kick goals I find that counterintuitive
I agree.

For me it tells us where we are at as a club and team. A good team can have a Sexton to kick goals and nothing else. This is because the team dominates play elsewhere, so the opportunities sky rocket (see Bailey Fritsch at Melbourne).

An average team can’t always afford a “passenger” in games where the goal sneak isn’t getting a look in because the ball is always rebounding out or entries are ineffective.

Sexton’s best season was basically as an isolated forward using space and speed to get out the back. Would love to see if he can create goals with King and Chol to feed off. Time will tell.
Poor bloke. Gotta feel for him. He could have been great. Instead he will have damaged knees for life. Can’t fault his commitment and effort. Wish him well.

does it? He was on the rookie list.
I guess it depends what deal Rory did with the club. Suns article mentions that Rory will have a role with the club. He could forfeit his salary (or part) for off-field role salary.

Considering this off-season moves and that Fiorini and Sexton seem to spread their salaries and we still have to pay 95% cap we may have to front-load some contracts.

Saving 5% in 2 consecutive years would give us extra 1.5M on top of 100% cap in 2024 off-season or 750K next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad to hear Rory retire especially with bad knees.

Does open the door for Ben King to join Anderson and Rowell in the locker rooms #16-#17-#19

Or will he wait for #12

If Sexton plays 22 games you would want 35 goals. His lack of defensive pressure, or creative field play limits him to a role as a finisher. With rankine gone I think there is the opportunity there for him to team up with Rosas and Holman in the fwd line but if he's not kicking goals regularly then maybe berry gets his chance.. 2023 draft the best small fwd we can
I actually think Sexton is pretty reliable in terms of making the right decision and gets involved a fair bit in that 50 - 100m out from goal area. Inside 50..he's always going to take that shot.

He is pretty regularly getting 14 - 20 possessions, 5 - 10 marks etc..

As opposed to someone like Rosas who is going to be a low possession player 8 - 12 possessions most weeks.

It's hard to believe we couldn't afford a big recruit this year with rankine, bowes and Thompson off the books. Rowell and Anderson obviously priorities but maybe they have someone lined up next year already.

Genuinely gutted to hear the news, I know it's become a bit of a board meme but I didn't really have much to do with footy before I started following the Suns.

Rory was my favourite player from day dot, #16 was the number I had heat pressed onto the first Jersey I ever bought and as a shy, gangly, awkward ginger kid that also played defender in just about everything I felt as though I had someone to look up to.

Making the decision to fly down to Sydney at the last minute to see his come back in hindsight is a day I'll remember for as long as I cheer for this Godforsaken club.

He could have been anything, I'll swear to my dying breath that he was Buddy Franklin's kryptonite.

I'm really just rambling at this point, I really genuinely always thought he'd come back and lock down key forwards again and be part of our first flag... But sometimes life isn't fair.

You are the real Big Red Machine, Roo 😍
Screenshot_20221108_225023.jpg
Anyone checked on Big Red Machine?
SUNS was the one that broke the news, While I'm lounging in a pool in Baltimore no less 😭

I hear Big Red Machine is going to be stepping down as moderator in honour of Rory (also he has degenerative shoulders from carrying SUNS all this time).

He will be installing myself and Supersuns in his place.

Shame about Rory but probably a really good thing for the club given his body. We need that list spot.

All the best big fella, let me know if you need more fishing rods to enjoy your spare time with.
Rory will not be lost to the Club. Was just told he's going to be doing some Development work with the U18 boys at the Academy - along with Jesse Joyce and James Frawley. I'm sure the young men coming through will get some great guidance from those three.

Caleb Graham better dye his hair red to make up for this loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back