2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didn’t see that name coming..

Clearly a knee-jerk reaction to Rankine leaving. We all know re-signing Anderson/Rowell is more important.

Having said that, Mally is an exciting talent and I'm sure we'd all love to keep him long term. He did decline an offer from Essendon at the end of 2021 so that's probably an indication of his loyalty to us/our playing group. The growing band of Darwin lads joining our club can only be a good thing of terms of retention and Rosas will forever be the first NT academy player we drafted.

That is some garbage journalism. Saying Hawthorn haven't had a key forward capable of kicking 60 since Roughy and Buddy, and Jacob Koschitzke could be the answer. Has the writer never seen Mitch Lewis?
And they have 9 gamer, Ash Johnson as a priority signing (as good as... some of his games were - minus the last 2 finals which were horrendus), there is a bloke named Jack Crisp (not that he is going anywhere)

They also name Brady Hough for the eagles
Adams for Brisbane

Some of the names are understandable (Pickett, De Koning, McKay, Serong)

Who is not on holidays or not covering the draft or not covering the cricket?
Well, you can write some off-season 'content'. Good luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know much about Zach Sproule?
Had not even heard us being linked to him… Can’t say I know much.

Smoothing out Sexton and Fiorini are both good options too. Good depth, good experience, have been past leaders, and can play in the first team if needed or if in form.

Would love to know if we have someone in mind already for next year if we have cap to spend. I’m ready to be let down in 12 months, but it will be a fun 11 months of speculation at least!

We moved on from Jack Stein to Zach Sproule pretty quick…. Bloody hell talk bout journo’s chucking darts

Love the Fiorini news, settled on the GC, his redemption is coming.

I feel like Seb Ross, Jack Viney hit these kind of form patches few years ago and came out the other side fine.

Jed Anderson looks like a lock to join us now. Been training with the Darwin Buffs in 30+ degree weather so that's probably really good for maintaining his fitness in the off season. Rosas is a Buffaloes junior so there's a link there already.

Love the Fiorini news, settled on the GC, his redemption is coming.
A 25 year old Fiorini on $300,000ish for the next two years feels like a really good outcome for us. Genuine midfield depth entering his prime on a very reasonable salary is absolutely necessary for any team looking to climb into the top 8. Worst case scenario he will act as a leader and standout player in our VFL team which also has its benefits. I also think Sexton taking a pay cut is very important. Having these two guys thrown around as potential trade options only to be turned down by every other club was probably a massive blessing in disguise.

Who would have thought the one guy that would potentially prevent us from landing a big fish in 2022 would actually be Rory Thompson? I understand why we signed him to a longer contract back in 2019 when he was coming off a really strong 2018 season (finished 4th in our B&F that year) and we'd been losing a few notable names at that stage so we just needed a few guys to sign long term deals to settle things. Anyway, that should be the last of the really bad contracts on our books and by this time next year we'll really be able to wheel and deal at the trade/free agency table.

Jed Anderson looks like a lock to join us now. Been training with the Darwin Buffs in 30+ degree weather so that's probably really good for maintaining his fitness in the off season. Rosas is a Buffaloes junior so there's a link there already.

A 25 year old Fiorini on $300,000ish for the next two years feels like a really good outcome for us. Genuine midfield depth entering his prime on a very reasonable salary is absolutely necessary for any team looking to climb into the top 8. Worst case scenario he will act as a leader and standout player in our VFL team which also has its benefits. I also think Sexton taking a pay cut is very important. Having these two guys thrown around as potential trade options only to be turned down by every other club was probably a massive blessing in disguise.

Who would have thought the one guy that would potentially prevent us from landing a big fish in 2022 would actually be Rory Thompson? I understand why we signed him to a longer contract back in 2019 when he was coming off a really strong 2018 season (finished 4th in our B&F that year) and we'd been losing a few notable names at that stage so we just needed a few guys to sign long term deals to settle things. Anyway, that should be the last of the really bad contracts on our books and by this time next year we'll really be able to wheel and deal at the trade/free agency table.
Another club could offer Anderson a senior spot. Let's see.

The only issue with Fiorini and Sexton extending is what will happen next year when we could need 4-5 list spots on senior list for academy kids and possibly a big fish. Unless they are happy to go on rookie list next year. Looking at the list - I can see only Thompson, Day senior spots available, both retiring or possibly with Atkins (if he agrees) going to rookie list.

This board runs alot smoother without the big ego’s of the couple of lads in the US causing trouble.

Big Red Machine says it is too early to be dealing with your shit while eating his Waffle House seedy breakfast

Have a day off

Another club could offer Anderson a senior spot. Let's see.

The only issue with Fiorini and Sexton extending is what will happen next year when we could need 4-5 list spots on senior list for academy kids and possibly a big fish. Unless they are happy to go on rookie list next year. Looking at the list - I can see only Thompson, Day senior spots available, both retiring or possibly with Atkins (if he agrees) going to rookie list.
Thompson and Day are the most obvious ones and I believe Constable is another one that will be off contract next year. Then you've got someone like Sharp who could still be interested in pursuing a trade next year. Not sure if we plan on upgrading Casboult but if we do then he's an obvious one that will probably retire next year. What about Tsitas? Uwland? I wouldn't want to lose him but I think Rosas may also be off contract next year.

There are some options there but I take your point that we might be running low on senior spots next year. I'm certain that we could delist Atkins and move him onto the rookie list without any risk of another club picking him up. In fact, if another club did pick up Atkins then they'd probably be doing us the favour and that means there is even more incentive to do it.

Atkins and Thompson?

Just Rory.

But I’ll be expecting us to delist Atkins in 2023 and hang him on the rookie list for two years.

Think you can only be on the rookie list 2 years max

Just Rory.

But I’ll be expecting us to delist Atkins in 2023 and hang him on the rookie list for two years.

Think you can only be on the rookie list 2 years max
It looks like it's back to 3 years max on rookie list after 4 years were allowed in 2022 due to covid. Interestingly, rookie promotions to primary list deadline was Nov 2.

I am pretty sure, Atkins got 2 years left plus 1 year subject to KPI.

Wednesday, November 2
  • Lists submitted for Rookie promotion to primary list by 2pm
  • Lists submitted for second and third-year rookies retained by 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back