2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

100%. I’m of the opinion that we let pick 4 get absorbed anyway. Most of the deals getting thrown around aren’t worth it in my eyes to gift another team pick 4 when we are guaranteed to get our academy players either way. At least dusty is a return on investment

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We can use pick 4 to beef up next year’s hand. No sense wasting the opportunity.

Yeah, idc how we look outside the 4 walls. My motto is “I just wanna win” dusty helps that. And pick 4 isn’t pick 4 to us no matter what value it hold to other clubs

Agree, banking pick 4 into next year doesn't help either, I'd be stoked with Lombard and nancarrow with points matched. We need to be good now otherwise more will leave and we're back in the cycle.

It seems like a decent amount of our supporters have been badly burnt by poor decisions of the past (understandably) and are probably having flashbacks to the Weller trade when these discussions of trading pick 4 come up. Ordinarily I would agree that giving up a top 5 pick for a 32 year old player is a bad idea but this is a unique year in the sense that we all know pick 4 is completely unusable for us due to Walter's outstanding season. So whether you like the hypothetical trade of Dusty for pick 4 or not, you have to wrap your head around the fact that pick 4 must be traded.

In an ideal world I'm sure we'd all like to hear a player like Bontempelli wants to join us and we can make it happen by giving them pick 4 but that's just not realistic right now. So until someone comes up with a better (realistic) trade that we can pull off with our pick 4, I think the idea of involving it in a Dusty trade is a valid one and I'm fairly sure we'd be able to sweeten the deal by adding in one of their future picks to make it a more equitable trade. If I told you right now that trading pick 4 in exchange for Dusty would guarantee finals next year, would you do it? I'm sure we all would but obviously nothing is guaranteed in footy and the risks that comes with these kinds of decisions scare a lot of people.

One thing we can learn from Brisbane's recent run is that it becomes far easier to recruit players like Joe Daniher when you're regularly winning/playing finals. Will Dusty make us a better team next year? I'm inclined to say yes and we're already a team that's just a few wins shy of playing finals so it's entirely possible that Dusty + the natural development of our young players next year will be enough to take us to the finals next year with Hardwick at the helm. At that point it should become a lot easier for us to bring in elite players and we can all start worrying less about getting bent over by other clubs every off season.

But like, if he wanted to come here, we could get Dusty WITHOUT having to give up pick 4 yeah? Much like Bowes + 7 last year, I don’t know why we would jump straight to pick 4 for a 33 year old with 1 year on his contract who we aren’t exactly in a bidding war with anyone for, when we have 10000 other picks we could use and no one else to use them on?

Optics aside, it seems like the type of brain dead, incompetent decision that the Suns have aggressively pursued over the last decade and held them back from any real progress. We traded out a 33 year old Gary Ablett for pick 19?

Collingwood were the laughing stock after the treloar, Stephenson and Grundy trades...
They also got rid of their list manager after that debacle. If that what it takes to turn things around then I am in.

Would you bring Dusty in if it meant giving up pick 4 with Richmond paying half of his salary ($700,000) leaving us with the remaining $700,000 to pay? Factoring in of course that Chol, Burgess, Sharp, Hollands and a few others are potentially going out their wages would easily cover that $700,000 so we wouldn’t be eating into our cap space. In my opinion it could be worth it factoring in that pick 4 is a dead pick for us due to our academy selections this draft. If Richmond throw a couple of late picks our way for points I reckon it could be a win win.
Dusty maybe has 1 or 2 years left. It's really not worth giving up pick 4.

Maybe if it was a 2nd or 3rd rounder (similar to what we got for Ablett), then sure.

Sent from my SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dusty maybe has 1 or 2 years left. It's really not worth giving up pick 4.

Maybe if it was a 2nd or 3rd rounder (similar to what we got for Ablett), then sure.

Sent from my SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It comes down to factors. A player like Dusty (possibly near end of career, but still AA contention) for pick 4 isn’t worth it at all.

Dusty for Pick 4 and a big chunk of his salary covered by Richmond? Well, Richmond are basically buying pick 4 at that point, with Dusty as steak knives. We also don’t pay for our own top 5 picks salary on top of that.

So it all comes down to… how much is a top 5 Pick worth, money wise? And is that enough incentive?

I’d rather not use Pick 4 on this trade. But I also want us to be aggressive. Tough call.

Last thing we want to be doing is giving Richmond, who have profited off of our player development already with Lynch and Prestia, a leg up by giving them a top 5 pick for a 32 year old Dustin Martin who is going to cost them 1.3 million next season while they try to rebuild. Let them suffer, if dusty wants to come, he can come for free next year.

Burgess is expected to seek a fresh start elsewhere

SUN TO SEEK NEW HOME

Gold Coast key forward Chris Burgess is expected to look for a new home during the off-season after winning back-to-back Jim 'Frosty' Miller Medals.

The 27-year-old is contracted at the Suns in 2024, but it is understood the South Australian will explore a fresh start after being starved of opportunities across the past two seasons, managing only three AFL appearances despite dominant form in the reserves.

Two clubs have shown genuine interest in Burgess, with a couple of others keeping tabs on the West Adelaide product.

Adelaide has maintained an interest in Burgess since he joined Gold Coast along with Josh Corbett as a pre-draft selection at the end of 2018, while St Kilda has also kept tabs at different times. Brisbane, Richmond, West Coast and Hawthorn are other clubs considering key forwards this off-season.

Gold Coast is believed to be open to keeping Burgess, but the Suns are stacked with key forward depth and likely to offload some players to help acquire the draft points required to secure the four academy products they want to select in November, including underage star Jed Walter who is expected to play plenty of senior football under Damien Hardwick next year.

Mabior Chol has two years to run on the contract he signed when he moved from Richmond, but as Gettable revealed last week, he is assessing the market after falling behind Levi Casboult – who is expected to secure another contract once the dust settles on the season – in the pecking order, with the forward line built around Ben King and Jack Lukosius.

After booting 63 goals in 2022, Burgess is up to 55.20 from 18 appearances this season, kicking four more in last weekend’s qualifying final win over Brisbane at Heritage Bank Stadium.

Burgess has played 36 AFL games for the Suns across five seasons in Queensland, but managed only one in 2023 after just two last year, despite dominant VFL form, and is set to find a new home. – Josh Gabelich

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If my maths is correct we are wasting our time trading for the Dogs picks 10 and 17 we gain some points but waste them if the bids come as I have them in the top RHS box

We could trade for pick 1 , 19 and 35 with the Eagles and be only 357 point shy of meeting of points goal ( this would of course cost us p4 and next years first) but we get Reid and the academy boys

Please correct me if I’m wrong or have another scenario

Edit: if we added the eagles pick 38 we would be golden. Would the club ever be this daring?

IMG_0677.jpeg

Last edited:
If my maths is correct we are wasting our time trading for the Dogs picks 10 and 17 we gain some points but waste them if the bids come as I have them in the top RHS box

We could trade for pick 1 , 19 and 35 with the Eagles and be only 357 point shy of meeting of points goal ( this would of course cost us p4 and next years first) but we get Reid and the academy boys

View attachment 1796161
Gonna take more than 4 and a first next year for 1 and 19 from Eagles

Gonna take more than 4 and a first next year for 1 and 19 from Eagles
Fair enough, with the other scenario we are probably better of just letting p4 be absorbed if the excess gets turned into later picks/ points as I understand it because all we are doing is giving another club a serious leg up

Fair enough, with the other scenario we are probably better of just letting p4 be absorbed if the excess gets turned into later picks/ points as I understand it because all we are doing is giving another club a serious leg up
I’ve said it before but pick 4 can beef us up next year, why waste that opportunity?

Imagine for example we get 10+future first (not realistic just to demonstrate) for 4 - it means we have a future first for any trades next year. We won’t have that if we let it get swallowed.

Edit: if we added the eagles pick 38 we would be golden. Would the club ever be this daring?

View attachment 1796161
I would also factor in points we get for Chol, Hollands, Sharp, Burgess. Not all will probably go but we could get another R2, R3 from players trade. Let's say 1000-1500 points.

Pick 4 trade should bring us significant overs as multiple teams are interested. So, I would definitely not use it just to absorb bids. Some players will leave so we don't need all points from pick 4. Move some value to next year as F1 makes sense.

In case of WB 10, 17 I suspect we could get more (+R2-R3). Depending on points we need we could use e.g., pick 17 for points and pick 10 to trade for F1 or vice versa. Plenty more combinations, possibilities.

Last edited:

This is what I’ve been saying, most of the deals being thrown around aren’t worth gift pick 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back