2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also factor in points we get for Chol, Hollands, Sharp, Burgess. Not all will probably go but we could get another R2, R3 from players trade. Let's say 1000-1500 points.

Pick 4 trade should bring us significant overs as multiple teams are interested. So, I would definitely not use it just to absorb bids. Some players will leave so we don't need all points from pick 4. Move some value to next year as F1 makes sense.

In case of WB 10, 17 I suspect we could get even more (+R2-R3). Depending on points we need we could use e.g., pick 17 for points and pick 10 to trade for F1 or vice versa. Plenty more combinations, possibilities.
Ahh, forgot about the trades of those players, totally changes the dynamic

Chol and Hollands should get us something in the second round each as they are contracted, Sharp unlikely to be much, thoughts?

Ahh, forgot about the trades of those players, totally changes the dynamic

Chol and Hollands should get us something in the second round each as they are contracted, Sharp unlikely to be much, thoughts?
Hollands maybe a late 2nd? First round pick or not he has shown a whole lot of nothing so far in his career. Hard to argue for much more.
Chol should be a 2nd, very friendly deal and has 2 years left.
Would much prefer if we kept Mabior though.

I would also factor in points we get for Chol, Hollands, Sharp, Burgess. Not all will probably go but we could get another R2, R3 from players trade. Let's say 1000-1500 points.

Pick 4 trade should bring us significant overs as multiple teams are interested. So, I would definitely not use it just to absorb bids. Some players will leave so we don't need all points from pick 4. Move some value to next year as F1 makes sense.

In case of WB 10, 17 I suspect we could get more (+R2-R3). Depending on points we need we could use e.g., pick 17 for points and pick 10 to trade for F1 or vice versa. Plenty more combinations, possibilities.

if you get this 1500ish points then Hawks F1 in a deal would make better sense IMO

4+later junk picks+F2 for Hawks F1 + 29( 653 pts).

Also it is not such a big issue if you guys go into deficit by 200 points or so. Won't even move a Top 5 pick or move only 1-2 spots for next set.

if you get this 1500ish points then Hawks F1 in a deal would make better sense IMO

Also it is not such a big issue if you guys go into deficit by 200 points or so. Won't even move a Top 5 pick or move only 1-2 spots for next set.
Agree, some deficit is no big deal. Next year, Suns got possibly again 2 R1 academy kids, and I am sure Dimma will try to lure A grader hopefully.

But as far your suggested deal, no disrespect but that's not even close. I suspect Suns will get significant overs due to a lot of interest in pick 4.

It's so even competition, anything can happen. You could argue that Hawks will finish bottom 4 next year, or based on some of Hawks performances after bye I could see you easily finish 9-12.

Let's use this year ladder positions.
Suns 4, F 22, 60, 65
Hawks F 3, 29

If Suns finish 8th and Hawks 9th it becomes
4, F 29, 60, 65
F 10, 29

Suns would be silly to do this deal. Way too risky and no overs (possibly the opposite). Much better to split 4 into 10, 17 and then offer one of them for F1 to limit risk where the teams will finish next year.

Suggest some overs, haha. Not the deal that benefits Hawks :p Otherwise, we go with another club.

Last edited:
Jon Ralph on Fox Footy now: “Dusty was keen to explore what playing for another club would be like, however, a lot of water would have to go under the bridge due to Gold Coasts salary cap and Richmond being unwilling to pay any of Dusty’s salary if he heads north. Alex Rance will be moving up north but will not be offered a full time role by the Suns.”

Last edited:
Agree, some deficit is no big deal. Next year, Suns got possibly again 2 R1 academy kids, and I am sure Dimma will try to lure A grader hopefully.

But as far your suggested deal, no disrespect but that's not even close. I suspect Suns will get significant overs due to a lot of interest in pick 4.

It's so even competition, anything can happen. You could argue that Hawks will finish bottom 4 next year, or based on some of Hawks performances after bye I could see you easily finish 9-12.

Let's use this year ladder positions.
Suns 4, F 22, 60, 65
Hawks F 3, 29

If Suns finish 8th and Hawks 9th it becomes
4, F 29, 60, 65
F 10, 29

Suns would be silly to do this deal. Way too risky and no overs (possibly the opposite). Much better to split 4 into 10, 17 and then offer one of them for F1 to limit risk where the teams will finish next year.

Suggest some overs, haha. Not the deal that benefits Hawks :p Otherwise, we go with another club.

Given you think Hawks could finish 9th, which are the other teams you expect to finish below hawks. F1 from these teams should be more attractive. Would you prefer Tigers/Freo/Crows F1 or Hawks F1?

If Hawks have enough picks to give to cancel out the pick 4 points, which we may given the interest from Clarko for some of the players he recruited.

Then my next best option is to trade hawks picks (that equate to 2000 points) for pick 4 plus a swap of F1's. Given the highly rated academy picks next yr, will give Suns the best chance to get ahead of a bid.

PS : won't work if Hawks win the flag beating Suns in the Grand Final :( ( you wanted improbable scenarios)

I can’t think of a single time we came out ahead with a future pick swap trade.

Basically, any team that does future pick swapping with us rockets up the ladder. It’s almost guaranteed. No wonder all opposition supporters want to deal in future picks with us ;)

Given you think Hawks could finish 9th, which are the other teams you expect to finish below hawks. F1 from these teams should be more attractive. Would you prefer Tigers/Freo/Crows F1 or Hawks F1?

If Hawks have enough picks to give to cancel out the pick 4 points, which we may given the interest from Clarko for some of the players he recruited.

Then my next best option is to trade hawks picks (that equate to 2000 points) for pick 4 plus a swap of F1's. Given the highly rated academy picks next yr, will give Suns the best chance to get ahead of a bid.

PS : won't work if Hawks win the flag beating Suns in the Grand Final :( ( you wanted improbable scenarios)

That a lot of typing to say “gift us pick 4 for nothing” lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jon Ralph on Fox Footy now: “Dusty was keen to explore what playing for another club would be like, however, a lot of water would have to go under the bridge due to Gold Coasts salary cap and Richmond being unwilling to pay any of Dusty’s salary if he heads north. Alex Rance will be moving up north but will not be offered a full time role by the Suns.”
Not sure why anyone would listen to Jon Ralph - lots happening over the next few months to keep us occupied.

Edit: I thought this was the Gold Coast thread on the main board because I'm half asleep, but the point I've made still stands

Gold Coast would want a future first as part of a trade for pick 4. You need to break down the teams into different groups in terms of how you value their future firsts. This is subjective and there will be some variation between opinions but this is roughly how I see it:

Group 1: Collingwood, Brisbane, Port, Melbourne, Carlton, Sydney

Value these teams future firsts at roughly pick 15. This group would need to add so much more than just their future first that it is hard to come up with a trade that makes sense for Gold Coast.

Group 2: St Kilda, GWS, Bulldogs, Crows, Essendon, Geelong, Richmond, Fremantle and Hawthorn

Value these teams future firsts around 10. You can pretty much throw a blanket over these teams such is the evenness of the middle part of the comp. A future first alone isn't getting you pick 4. These teams would need to add a second rounder(or more) in this years draft for points.

Group 3: West Coast and North

Easily the 2 worst teams in the comp. Some fans would say that Wests Coasts or Norths future first is a fair trade for pick 4 straight up, but I would go so far as to say that West Coast and North would need something back. As a West Coast fan, I wouldn't trade our future first for pick 4. I'd do something like WCE F1 and 19 for GC F1 and 4 but this should easily be beaten by a team in group 2.

Last edited:
That a lot of typing to say “gift us pick 4 for nothing” lol

You want the whole points + F1's, not gonna happen.

Quit trying to win lop sided trades. The only reason we have eyes on pick 4 is to take Watson after taking Durrsma with 3. The top 6 has a rare quality and weare willing to pay overs like a straight swap for 4 with our F1.

Our F1 could easily be Pick 1 as well if we have an injury to a 1-2 key players. Without Sicily or Lewis we are sitting ducks in most games. We had a rare season without injuries in 2nd half and hence did well in few games.

You guys need to state which are the better offers than 4 for F1. North or Eagles want you guys to send back players + F2 if they give their F1's.

I doubt any other team's F1's has got better value than ours.

Group 2: St Kilda, GWS, Bulldogs, Crows, Essendon, Geelong, Richmond, Fremantle and Hawthorn

I would have a Group 2.5 that has

Hawthorn & Cats

You want the whole points + F1's, not gonna happen.

Quit trying to win lop sided trades. The only reason we have eyes on pick 4 is to take Watson after taking Durrsma with 3. The top 6 has a rare quality and weare willing to pay overs like a straight swap for 4 with our F1.

Our F1 could easily be Pick 1 as well if we have an injury to a 1-2 key players. Without Sicily or Lewis we are sitting ducks in most games. We had a rare season without injuries in 2nd half and hence did well in few games.

You guys need to state which are the better offers than 4 for F1. North or Eagles want you guys to send back players + F2 if they give their F1's.

I doubt any other team's F1's has got better value than ours.

I would have a Group 2.5 that has

Hawthorn & Cats

You’re arguing with the wrong person because I don’t think we should trade the pick at all.

Let alone for a bunch of picks that equal the same points and a future pick swap lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won’t need all those pics or the 2000 points that they offer as when we trade out a combination of Burgess, Chol, Sharp, Hollonds. We will get a significant amount of points back. This leaves approximately the value of pick 44 short our Academy bids, so no need to sell pick four for points as in your scenario.

We won’t need all those pics or the 2000 points that they offer as when we trade out a combination of Burgess, Chol, Sharp, Hollonds. We will get a significant amount of points back. This leaves approximately the value of pick 44 short our Academy bids, so no need to sell pick four for points as in your scenario.
Exactly this.

Say what you will about our past trading… but the club has been selling into the future for some time to prepare for this draft. And even though all three picks have exceeded expectations, we will have more than enough points.

The bigger problem is making we have the right amount of picks/list spots before going into the draft.

Indeed. The below post was made with that assumption. Use our pick 48 instead of 29

So

Our F1+ 48 for Pick 4 + your last 3-4 junk picks in 60's & 70's. Not sure which other club has got a better offer than this.

Obviously your best bet is to trade pick 4 for a gun/decent player. Other than CJ, we have no one whose trade won't be felt. We may be interested in Chol

So may Chol+ 4+ junk picks for CJ + F1 + 29/48 + some picks + pay CJ's Salary could be done.

Indeed. The below post was made with that assumption. Use our pick 48 instead of 29

So

Our F1+ 48 for Pick 4 + your last 3-4 junk picks in 60's & 70's. Not sure which other club has got a better offer than this.

Obviously your best bet is to trade pick 4 for a gun/decent player. Other than CJ, we have no one whose trade won't be felt. We may be interested in Chol

So may Chol+ 4+ junk picks for CJ + F1 + 29/48 + some picks + pay CJ's Salary could be done.

Herald Sun reporting Dogs 10 & 17 is currently leading the race for pick 4.

And we may then also sell off pick 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back