2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does this appeal to Suns fans leaving you with +980 points as well as 2 early second rounders to split again and a F1 to use or split again? Sorry for the intrusion.

OUT
Crows 9, 20, 23, F1 (9) (4665 points)
GCS 4, 32 (2618 points)
WCE F1 (1), 35, 38, 54, 57 (4389 points)

IN
WCE Pick 4, 9 (3503 points)
Crows 32, 35, 38 WCE F1 (1) (4571 points)
GCS 20, 23, 54, 57 Crows F1 (9) (3598 points)

**F1s are assumed to be ladder position

Does this appeal to Suns fans leaving you with +980 points as well as 2 early second rounders to split again and a F1 to use or split again? Sorry for the intrusion.

OUT
Crows 9, 20, 23, F1 (9) (4665 points)
GCS 4, 32 (2618 points)
WCE F1 (1), 35, 38, 54, 57 (4389 points)

IN
WCE Pick 4, 9 (3503 points)
Crows 32, 35, 38 WCE F1 (1) (4571 points)
GCS 20, 23, 54, 57 Crows F1 (9) (3598 points)

**F1s are assumed to be ladder position
We barely need more points for this year, so no.

It would appear that the one sticking point is the salary and we seemingly haven't been able to convince Dusty to budge on it. Could/should the club consider requesting ambassadorial money from the AFL to make this possible?

This club is the only club that I know of that continually year after year obsesses over ambassadorial money for players or coaches

Have you guys considered trading up to pick 2 from pick 4 rather than trading out pick 4 if you are already ok points wise? We’ll take Reid, you take a player and worst case scenario Walter is bid on at pick 3?

Have you guys considered trading up to pick 2 from pick 4 rather than trading out pick 4 if you are already ok points wise? We’ll take Reid, you take a player and worst case scenario Walter is bid on at pick 3?
It's been discussed in the big footy war room, but haven't seen any journo say this is what th club wants to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been discussed in the big footy war room, but haven't seen any journo say this is what th club wants to do
A few posters here have said you’ve got enough points to cover Walter, Read and Rogers. Is that true? Surely then the set play is to get up to pick 2? Given you’ll need to keep your picks for points you’d have to give up F1/F2 and/or players. North could use Chol, that’s for sure. Vic media don’t give a s**t about interstate clubs unless it suits their narrative and needs. The fact that they aren’t talking about it probably suggests that it’s actually the best thing for the Suns.

Last edited:
A few posters here have said you’ve got enough points to cover Walter, Read and Rogers. Is that true? Surely then the set play is to get up to pick 2? Given you’ll need to keep your picks for points you’d have to give up F1/F2 and/or players. North could use Chol, that’s for sure. Vic media don’t give a s**t about interstate clubs unless it suits their narrative and needs. The fact that they aren’t talking about it probably suggests that it’s actually the best thing for the Suns.
Then you gotta pay them all at the same time.
We’ve had years of having top draft picks and years of over paying.
Would love to land a decent player for a change

Still have to pay them. What type of player are you after? Hopefully Hardwick is a drawcard for recruitment and retention. Dusty as an UFA in 2025 would generate some excitement and hype even though he’s pat his best.

The issue with top draft picks is that after year 2, most of them overpaid for at least the next 3 or 4 years. They are generally paid on high end potential and not output. Once that talent either shows or goes, they are paid closer to market rate.

A couple of years ago we had King, Rankine, Lukosious, Ando, and Rowell as top 5 picks in their 3rd and 4th years, and all well overpaid at that time for their ouput. Throw in Flanders as a pick 11, Sharp late 20's, and Budders got a good deal as a probably 2nd rounder.

Just too many at once. Only now getting to the point where tjhose players are paid at about market rate for what they are producing. If we add another top 5 pick to Walter, Read, and Rogers? Same problem again.

Local products might be a bit cheaper b/c of no go home, but the agent of Jed Walter and Etahn Reid will absolutely be chasing deals based on potential and not output.

The issue with top draft picks is that after year 2, most of them overpaid for at least the next 3 or 4 years. They are generally paid on high end potential and not output. Once that talent either shows or goes, they are paid closer to market rate.

A couple of years ago we had King, Rankine, Lukosious, Ando, and Rowell as top 5 picks in their 3rd and 4th years, and all well overpaid at that time for their ouput. Throw in Flanders as a pick 11, Sharp late 20's, and Budders got a good deal as a probably 2nd rounder.

Just too many at once. Only now getting to the point where tjhose players are paid at about market rate for what they are producing. If we add another top 5 pick to Walter, Read, and Rogers? Same problem again.

Local products might be a bit cheaper b/c of no go home, but the agent of Jed Walter and Etahn Reid will absolutely be chasing deals based on potential and not output.
I would add Jeffrey and Davies both were projected 1st round and Hollands and Andrew next year.

Paying Martin 1.4M (10% of salary cap) next year would make it difficult for us. I suspect more player(s) would have to leave or more salaries back ended.

Last edited:
Still have to pay them. What type of player are you after? Hopefully Hardwick is a drawcard for recruitment and retention. Dusty as an UFA in 2025 would generate some excitement and hype even though he’s pat his best.
I’m a big advocate for this

Pick 4 plus a future 1 for pick 2 + pick 19

Still gives us points for Walter/Read/Rogers plus we can bring in someone like Watson which is a real position of need for us. I’d rather back ourselves in now to rise up next season rather than keep looking forward to the next years draft.

Also really hope you guys take Reid and don’t trade that pick.

I’m a big advocate for this

Pick 4 plus a future 1 for pick 2 + pick 19

Still gives us points for Walter/Read/Rogers plus we can bring in someone like Watson which is a real position of need for us. I’d rather back ourselves in now to rise up next season rather than keep looking forward to the next years draft.

Also really hope you guys take Reid and don’t trade that pick.
You’d be trading with North, not us. So it would be pick 2 and 20 (26 after bids/compo) for 4 (6) and F1.

If McKercher is available at 4 (6) I’d personally look at trading our F1 (very likely to be #1 or at worst #2) with you.

I hope we take Reid too. Sentiment on our board is that Lathlain will be burnt to the ground if we accept some BS trade because of all this vic media hype of him not wanting to head west.

You’d be trading with North, not us. So it would be pick 2 and 20 (26 after bids/compo) for 4 (6) and F1.

If McKercher is available at 4 (6) I’d personally look at trading our F1 (very likely to be #1 or at worst #2) with you.

I hope we take Reid too. Sentiment on our board is that Lathlain will be burnt to the ground if we accept some BS trade because of all this vic media hype of him not wanting to head west.
I'm aware that trade would be with north - I just meant I hope you don't cave and trade pick 1 like the Victorian media is desperate for you to do.

pick 20 would be pick 20 value wise for us though as its first and only purpose would be to absorb the Walters bid

Gold Coast's Contract Hold-ups​

Out-of-contract: Jed Anderson (UFA), Connor Blakely (UFA), Sandy Brock, Levi Casboult (UFA), Charlie Constable (UFA), Sam Day (UFA), Oska Faulkhead, Hewago Oea, Brodie McLaughlin, Bodhi Uwland, Jeremy Sharp, Jake Stein (UFA), James Tsitas
*UFA: unrestricted free agent

New coach Damien Hardwick has been meeting with individual players as they go through exit interviews and he has plenty of work to do with his list management team. Anderson hasn’t been at the club since June and has moved on, and it’s likely Blakely and Constable will join him. Sharp and Tsitas are on the block, too, while veteran Day may have reached the end of the road. Casboult looks set to go on and will definitely return if contracted tall Mabior Chol seeks a trade. McLaughlin is an interesting watch, given he finished second in the VFL goalkicking tally but didn’t get a look in at AFL level.

It sucks we finally get a decent coach…
Have an early pick.
Have a few gaping holes in our best 22

Yet the very same year our academy comes good and absorbs all of our picks.

I would of loved to see what Dimma went out and brought to the club with full access to picks etc
He gets 3 top 10 picks, are you bored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back