2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn’t mean it fills the needs we actually have.
This is true. We’re not exactly screaming for a developing tall utility, a key forward, or an undersized mid.

It’s an enviable draft on paper, that’s for sure. But in reality we need a couple of ready made players for a more guaranteed shot at improving

Ah well, can’t really complain too much.

And it looks like our academy may keep producing and we might just have to let a few academy players slip through to other clubs. That’s what the AFL will want, eventually.

The fact that they are locals is massive for our chance of sustained success. We can't just keep being a development ground for interstate clubs. No draft picks are guaranteed to be stars anyway but to have 3 of best 15 players in the country is a huge opportunity and dimma would be stokes to walk into that. Also agree that our remaining pick should be turned into a ready made player, if one is gettable.

This is true. We’re not exactly screaming for a developing tall utility, a key forward, or an undersized mid.

It’s an enviable draft on paper, that’s for sure. But in reality we need a couple of ready made players for a more guaranteed shot at improving

And it looks like our academy may keep producing and we might just have to let a few academy players slip through to other clubs. That’s what the AFL will want, eventually.
I have little doubt it will be min 2-3 years before those 3 plus Wil Graham will have significant impact, but I would say they fit nicely. Everybody here screams for KPD - that's where Read will probably start and may end up too. Walter together with King and Luko could be deadly combination. Rogers with his speed and clean skills - can't have enough of players like him. He will probably start as small forward - again a weak spot for us according to supporters.

But at the moment, they are just potential, and they will not take us to finals next year.

Last edited:

It's Dimmas call if we trade up to use a pick before Walter is selected, and besides, that's one pick, of one 18 year old. Dimma has half a list of first round picks with various stages of development, he can trade out players, trade in players, do whatever he likes.. he could pass on Walter, Read and Rogers and get whoever's available at pick 4 but no one in their right mind would do that, so it's hardly a situation we can complain about, 3 top 10 academy picks is Christmas in November
I'm all for it

It sucks we finally get a decent coach…
Have an early pick.
Have a few gaping holes in our best 22

Yet the very same year our academy comes good and absorbs all of our picks.

I would of loved to see what Dimma went out and brought to the club with full access to picks etc
wouldn't go that far. what do you think they are?

Small lockdown defender
Possibly a gorilla defender

Wings

A dangerous small forward with a bag of tricks
I think we might have to settle for Collins as our KPD for a year or two more (unless his form really declines further) with Ballard and Andrew.

A winger or HB with kicking skills is needed badly. Maybe Jeffrey, plus Powell, could work. Ainsworth looked alright as a wing too late in the season, but that opens another small forward spot up.

Rosas could be our small forward, but another threat while he develops would be great. Maybe Humphrey can do more damage there as he builds the tank for mid minutes.

We have options to plug holes, but they are all speculative.

I think we might have to settle for Collins as our KPD for a year or two more (unless his form really declines further) with Ballard and Andrew.

A winger or HB with kicking skills is needed badly. Maybe Jeffrey, plus Powell, could work. Ainsworth looked alright as a wing too late in the season, but that opens another small forward spot up.

Rosas could be our small forward, but another threat while he develops would be great. Maybe Humphrey can do more damage there as he builds the tank for mid minutes.

We have options to plug holes, but they are all speculative.

I would complain about Collins.
But supposably he was our second best player this year.

So my views of him are obviously wrong.

Rosas is so inconsistent.

Even the games he kicks a few the ball just seems to fall out the back where he is by himself and he runs into the goal square and kicks truely.
It’s a talent he has found and uses to good effect.

I would complain about Collins.
But supposably he was our second best player this year.

So my views of him are obviously wrong.

Rosas is so inconsistent.

Even the games he kicks a few the ball just seems to fall out the back where he is by himself and he runs into the goal square and kicks truely.
It’s a talent he has found and uses to good effect.
Geesus Ben, you're a tough taskmaster.....of course he's inconsistent......just turned 22yo, only played 38 games in 4 seasons in a team that has problems with forward entries.......and yet you expect him to perform as someone like Toby Greene.........

Now if he's still doing this in season 6-7-8-9 then I'll join you and jump on the bandwagon......but hopefully the new coaching mob can remove that inconsistency and get him to the level we'd all like to see over the next few seasons...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geesus Ben, you're a tough taskmaster.....of course he's inconsistent......just turned 22yo, only played 38 games in 4 seasons in a team that has problems with forward entries.......and yet you expect him to perform as someone like Toby Greene.........

Now if he's still doing this in season 6-7-8-9 then I'll join you and jump on the bandwagon......but hopefully the new coaching mob can remove that inconsistency and get him to the level we'd all like to see over the next few seasons...

Quick google says rosas has kicked 21 more goals than Toby Greene did in his first 38 games…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Toby played midfield start of his career.

Mally beats him over his next 38 games as well.

Edit: I’m just trying to point out - he could easily become greene-esq. as he gets more experience

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back