2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see Bowes (and Raines) still on the GC training on the Palmy Lions oval. Much like Rankine before him, Bowes doesn't seem to be in a hurry to leave the Gold Coast and I'd say there's a decent chance he ends up back on the GC once his career comes to an end.

Can't help but think Bowes was unwilling to re-negotiate his contract with us and therefore we really had no option but to ask him to leave. Fiorini, Sexton and Macpherson are all recent examples of guys that have smoothed their bigger contracts by extending a year or two. Craig Cameron even said that was an option with Jack but talks didn't progress in that regard, which I think would have been roadblocked by Bowes' management. We tried to trade Macpherson to North last year but Darcy showed that he actually wanted to stay here and took less money to stay. Unfortunately it would appear the same can't be said about Bowes.
The error was of the clubs making not Jacks

Normally you guys have announced your Academy NT players by now, wonder whether the hold up is due to a decision on whether Tedcastle is eligible having played in Vic this year

Dunno
Sandy Brock played in WA the year of his draft and that went through no problems.

He sounds like a good pickup with Rankine heading back to Adelaide though

Really?? He's helped the club twice by delaying the money he was owed and when he's like maybe this year someone else can help you out and you can pay me the money I'm owed he's hurting the club.

The club ****ed up, not Bowes.

He will go to Cats, play midfield and have a good career and the Suns will be a distant memory.
Is it not possible that they were asking him to delay payments because he wasn't performing at the level required of a player on that kind of coin... but they were remaining optimistic that he may get there one day? I think the hope amongst all of us was always that Jack would eventually cement a spot in our midfield and be one of the best players in our team but it just never happened. If Bowes had have played like Touk Miller this year then I'm sure we'd be fine with him being paid that kind of money because his output would justify it but every team makes mistakes when it comes to contracts and there should be a mechanism (like salary dumping) to prevent a GWS style drop where the team becomes cap tied by players that aren't playing at a level that justifies their salary. We saw Collingwood do it a few years ago with Adam Treloar and although people heavily questioned it at the time and it was portrayed in the media as Treloar being betrayed by Collingwood, the Pies made the most of it and played in a close prelim final this year. You could argue they've done the same thing this year with Brodie Grundy being moved on from his massive contract but no one is criticising Collingwood this time because they're a current top 4 team.
The error was of the clubs making not Jacks
So you're saying the club shouldn't retain the right to fix that error a few years later when it no longer serves them? This is probably the biggest difference between Australian and American pro sports. In the US, once a big money player is no longer serving a team, they begin exploring options (like salary dumping) so it doesn't come back to bite them later. In our case, keeping Bowes for the next two years could have cost us Rowell, Anderson and/or a big free agent/trade signing at the end of next year and it's simply not worth it when you look at his output this year. Punishing a team for decisions made years ago with no way of fixing those errors later on is a recipe for disaster.

It's really easy to say now in retrospect that the club made a mistake signing him to a massive contract but we were rock bottom back in 2019 when the two parties agreed to the deal and then Covid caused a lot of chaos from a contractual standpoint. Bowes was still a very young 20-year-old with 30 or so games to his name back then when he signed that massive deal so there was reason to be optimistic about his future and obviously we had to pay overs back then because we were the wooden spooners who had just lost a few significant players. These days he's not even a best 22 player for us when healthy so there's no way you can justify that kind of salary for a guy that's about to turn 25 and should be entering his prime.

At the end of the day, the clubs needs should always come before the individual's wants.

Think people are up in arms because it's pretty new to the afl. Treloar, Stephenson, Grundy from Collingwood so they have obviously set the bar and we are following just behind with Lyons, brodie, bowes. Collingwood are looking pretty good now and hopefully suns will be right there soon. If both clubs are successful with this approach expect a lot more of it in the near future and it won't be so much of a big deal.

Is it not possible that they were asking him to delay payments because he wasn't performing at the level required of a player on that kind of coin
IMO, that's not a good argument. It's pretty obvious to me that Bowes contract was back-ended several times due to a need to accommodate reduced TPP due to covid, by approx. 1.3M in 2021 and 1.2M in 2022. Just my guess, Bowes average salary could be around 500-550K. Definitely overs and based on potential but we also had to pay someone as the list was very young, and the club did not plan for covid cuts.

Bowes did a club favour as did Macpherson, Brodie, Sexton, Fiorini who all apparently agreed to back-end their salaries. Personally, I would prefer the club to ask all players for 10% cut like Eagles did.

The problem was also that during covid cuts Suns had basically all players re-signed.

The club was ridiculed by media, and a lot of fans expressed their frustration, but I agree in the end it was a good move from the club point of view as Bowes was not in the best 22, we got our cap in order and can start accumulating money for a mature star and/or keeping important players. IMO, considering our crazy concessions, pick 7 was the least of worries we had. Our list still looks in great shape, and we will now have depth players who will not be paid overs.

I am still more pissed off by Rankine's move. He looked great in games 8-16, a special talent.

Last edited:
IMO, that's not a good argument. It's pretty obvious to me that Bowes contract was back-ended several times due to a need to accommodate reduced TPP due to covid, by approx. 1.3M in 2021 and 1.2M in 2022. Just my guess, Bowes average salary could be around 500-550K. Definitely overs and based on potential but we also had to pay someone as the list was very young, and the club did not plan for covid cuts.

Bowes did a club favour as did Macpherson, Brodie, Sexton, Fiorini who all apparently agreed to back-end their salaries. Personally, I would prefer the club to ask all players for 10% cut like Eagles did.

The problem was also that during covid cuts Suns had basically all players re-signed.

The club was ridiculed by media, and a lot of fans expressed their frustration, but I agree in the end it was a good move from the club point of view as Bowes was not in the best 22, we got our cap in order and can start accumulating money for a mature star and/or keeping important players. IMO, considering our crazy concessions, pick 7 was the least of worries we had. Our list still looks in great shape, and we will now have depth players who will not be paid overs.

I am still more pissed off by Rankine's move. He looked great in games 8-16, a special talent.
All comes back to the fact that average players were getting above average wages because we had to pay 95% of the salary cap
The AFL and AFLPA were the problem the Suns had to try and find an answer to
If I'd been running the Club I would have just paid the players what they were worth and dealt with the AFL when they came calling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All comes back to the fact that average players were getting above average wages because we had to pay 95% of the salary cap
If I'd been running the Club I would have just paid the players what they were worth and dealt with the AFL when they came calling

Should have paid all the good players all the money upfront 😂

Then add in good players like Swallow getting paid like a top 10 mid. That hurts the cap just as much, but at least there is good on and off field performance to offset the overpay.

In the end, with Bowes, he just had to play better. The injury hurt, but he played a lot of footy in the back half of the year.
Ben Ainsworth got dropped in 2021 for good reason, but in 2022 he was one of our best players. He played better.
If Bowes was playing like one of our clear best 15-18 players, then no way is he getting shopped and the club looks elsewhere to save some cap.

No one comes out of this looking good. Not the Suns, not Cameron and Dew, not Bowes, and not the AFL.
Well the Cats do. Even if he is not that good at the Cats, they got pick 7 as compo.

I like the look of Ethan Phillips, could be a collins type pick up. Probably won’t make the rookie draft though.

Haven’t heard much of Brinn Little on here.

Brinn just might be the dark horse here if the Suns feel they need to draft at least one Academy player. Can't see anyone else getting picked up from the local boys - maybe an NT player?

Is Ginbey actually going to be used in defence? Seems like he finally got his opportunity to shine as an inside mid and took it with both hands, I don't see him going back unless we give up on him as a mid. I think he'd be better off developing as a mid in the vfl then in the seniors in a back pocket. We've got better suited options with Long and Farrar to cover our injuries

Bit of talk in draft rumours about us trading next years first rounder to get back in this year presumably for hollands. Makes sense to me. Ginbey/ Humphrey + hollands this year and academy lads next year with Ben Mckay as free agent looks pretty sweet to me.

Bit of talk in draft rumours about us trading next years first rounder to get back in this year presumably for hollands. Makes sense to me. Ginbey/ Humphrey + hollands this year and academy lads next year with Ben Mckay as free agent looks pretty sweet to me.
Would love if they did this.

McKay would be ideal, but will have his pick of teams + North will be able to match any offer. No reason not to try though.

I can't see why we wouldn't go for Ollie Hollands, it just makes so much sense to get him. Is he worth next years first though? I guess it depends on how the club feels it's placed for points next year. We can't really go too much into deficit as Nancarrow could be a high pick in 2024. If it is as strong a draft as suggested we might do better holding it for now (Or might even be able to get ahead of a Walters bid and get a better player than whoever we take at pick 5 this year).

IMO we can afford to skip a draft, and this year looks as good as any to miss. None of our choices at pick 5 look like must-have's, so just slide back and take Hollands. We have more than enough talented players now, and will get more through the academy next year.

Hollands going to carlton in many mock drafts.

What would people think if swapped our 2023 1st for Carlton’s pick 11 and took hollands to accompany our choice at pick 5/6?

I suggested this last week.
Do you know where these rumours have come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back