Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 150 36.6%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.2%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.4%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

As long as we either hold or trade up from pick 3 we are guaranteed to get one of Reid, Curtin, McKercher, Watson or Duursma.

All of them would be fantastic picks for us and I strongly believe would reach their potentials in our development system.

Locked into North now along with Watson.

I'm confused, I thought Norf are doing a deal for pick 1. Gil will need to give them 3 1st rnd priority picks for them to secure Reid, Watson and Duursma.

Having said that nothing will surprise me.

Arie chose a fantastic moment to turn in a best on ground performance in the biggest game of the season so far for Tasmania. In difficult conditions, his attacking decision making with ball in hand resulted in some turnovers but he ultimately proved to be one of few on the day that could consistently progress the ball for his team.

No, spooked he will jump to Tassie ASAP
This going home theory doesn't really apply to McKercher as much. He has some family here in Vic as well.
Besides, if he's taken by a club that could be seriously contesting finals in four years time he may well not want to leave, and in three/four years time our Premiership clock will be close to the right time.

This going home theory doesn't really apply to McKercher as much. He has some family here in Vic as well.
Besides, if he's taken by a club that could be seriously contesting finals in four years time he may well not want to leave, and in three/four years time our Premiership clock will be close to the right time.

If you determine he's the best value with the pick you have, then you back the club's culture in to make him want to stay. If you fear that won't be enough, then you have far bigger problems than one player leaving.

I'm confused, I thought Norf are doing a deal for pick 1. Gil will need to give them 3 1st rnd priority picks for them to secure Reid, Watson and Duursma.

Having said that nothing will surprise me.
This is North who over looked Logan McDonald for Will Phillips.

I haven't felt this way since Cadman and Sheezel played their way out of our hands. I swear to god if Zane ends up at Norf I will buy up every cafe on Arden street and replace their coffee with Nescafé gold.
North should pick Watson and Duursma at 2 and 3 IMO.

Seems like AFL are forcing them to trade up to Reid.

North should pick Watson and Duursma at 2 and 3 IMO.

Seems like AFL are forcing them to trade up to Reid.
North need Reid for relevance on top of his talent as it might put long suffering bums on seats. Eagles are always relevant from a bums on seats perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arie chose a fantastic moment to turn in a best on ground performance in the biggest game of the season so far for Tasmania. In difficult conditions, his attacking decision making with ball in hand resulted in some turnovers but he ultimately proved to be one of few on the day that could consistently progress the ball for his team.

Some good KP types in the late first and second round. A lot to work with there. I notice the turnovers were mostly intercepts by Wil Dawson another likely type any highlights for him?

Not every player wants to go home.
Exactly. He might like the bright lights of Melbourne compared to sleepy Tassie. You take the punt if he's the best available at your pick. My only concern is that we seem to have built our midfield for the future already and need to address other areas more importantly.

I’m desperate for the suns pick as much as we need Zane I can’t stop watching McKercher he’s Zac Merrett but more aggressive and more penetrating by foot. To me he’s clearly top 3 with Reid and Walter. Been done to death but…
Compromise Shrug GIF

Some good KP types in the late first and second round. A lot to work with there. I notice the turnovers were mostly intercepts by Wil Dawson another likely type any highlights for him?
Not yet, but there will be heaps of space to fill up before the draft in november

I’m desperate for the suns pick as much as we need Zane I can’t stop watching McKercher he’s Zac Merrett but more aggressive and more penetrating by foot. To me he’s clearly top 3 with Reid and Walter. Been done to death but…
Compromise Shrug GIF
He is like merret X Isaac smith. Will be a serious player

Exactly. He might like the bright lights of Melbourne compared to sleepy Tassie. You take the punt if he's the best available at your pick. My only concern is that we seem to have built our midfield for the future already and need to address other areas more importantly.
Disagree - Day aside (who will be more of a utility), we are still lacking polish and x-factor in the middle.

View attachment 1801613

Be great if he was able to slide out past Pick 40
Sadly, wont last past pick 30. He's been making a lot of 'noise' now at the tail end when every recruiter and his dog are taking notes.
McCabe will go around the 12-18 mark. He might sneak into the first dozen but certainly not past 18. We'll need our pick 29, and will be interesting to see what we get for Brockman.
For all the talk of Meek, DGB etc I think Kosi is the only one we're seriously discussing atm.

Yep AFL cooking up a deal, give North enough extra bits to get WCE to swap pick one for two. What will it take? I don’t think anything can be settled until MacKay is signed and compensation decided but then they probably know where and how much already.
I hope they pull it off and we get a clear run at Dursma and Watson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back