Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

That highlight package of the Wizard is pretty underwhelming as a small forward. No spectacular marks or miraculous goals (maybe I need to stop dreaming about Poppy and Cyril in their prime). Bursting away from centre bounces was great but not exploding directly away from tacklers was concerning instead side stepping out of trouble. I hope we take him over Curtin (not Duursma if available) because he will bring much needed goal scoring power and excitement factor to our team which we desperately need but people need to temper expectations a little of what Nick will do at AFL level against bigger stronger quicker bodies.

You need to watch more of his highlight/play packages.
And when imagining him against AFL players, remember they too came from junior ranks. And were less physically developed. And had to play against the best in the land. And most, nearly all, had no where near the junior cv of the Wiz. Not when they were compared to their compatriots at junior level.

The plaudits for this kid are not just fluff, haven't come from nowhere. They come from him being elite amongst ALL the elite junior pathway footy players.
And it's not because he's done it with superior physical characteristics that will not translate against bigger AFL listed players.
Zero reason to not believe he will be in the top half dozen small forwards in the AFL.
Not many have the skill set, the instincts, the hunger to produce, the enjoyment of being in that spotlight.
Wiz has it in spades.

Who cares about last year's draft now. Irrelevant.

I definitely agree on that point, not much matters moving forward other than this year.

But watching something compelling from last year on say Weddle's story would beat arguing about say who The Mailman was at the Utah Jazz. Or reading puff pieces on player agents telling you their guy is the best in a decade.

Board is crying out for distraction

I would say McKercher and Curtin are more important to North's list rebuild than Duursma.
Kangas currently have Zurharr, Ford, Taylor, Stephenson, & George that can play as medium forwards. I'm not suggesting that they are better players than Duursma, just stating that they do have some depth in that department.

But North might not want to risk taking two interstate kids at those picks after their JHF experience.

Regardless, we will still have access to one of McKercher, Duursma, Curtin, & Watson. We're in a pretty comfortable position thankfully.

I'm not sure clubs would be too worried about the Tassie kids. Tasmania doesn't come in until 2028, and the Stadium hasn't been given the green light yet, so may not eventuate in any case! Worst case they have 4 years at the club they are selected at. If clubs can't keep them after four years, they will get compensated anyway.

North MAY be different after the JHF experience, but I suspect most clubs will back themselves in to keep these kids. Tassie kids know they are moving to play AFL, so I don't think they are as risky as kids from other states either.

West coast offering their future first for Curtin is annoying, I was hoping we could do that

Curtin/Reid would be a massive haul for them. Should make the future 1st a little less tempting though - if they get those two guys in the door you can guarantee the spoon for the Shinbeggars.

Prob a dumb question for track watchers, but has there been any thought that Curtin could play forward? Seems like would have all the attributes.
He was tried there earlier in the year, I think the consensus was he should stick to playing futher up the ground. He might go better as a CHF, but his forward craft and leading need some work. He's a very reactive player, he has great reaction time and a brilliant understanding of the game in front of him, but he lacks a bit of the proactive flair you need as a forward. That being said, he has some great highlights around the goals and much like DGB is a wonderful kick when he does get a chance.

He very well might spend some time learning in preseason, but for now he should focus on getting his defensive work up to AFL standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North are bonkers if they don't take Curtin with one of those picks.

The biggest no brainer of all time.

They have like 1 AFL grade defender over 195cm and he is in the middle of recovering from an ACL injury.

They’re guaranteed to take McKercher and Duursma, but it’s ****ing stupid haha

Curtin/Reid would be a massive haul for them. Should make the future 1st a little less tempting though - if they get those two guys in the door you can guarantee the spoon for the Shinbeggars.
West coast are an absolute lock unless Ebola wipes out half of a teams list. They’re putrid. Reid will have a decent impact but I don’t think he’ll have the same level of influence as a walsh/sheezel had in his first year. And curtin being a tall defender you would think he’ll struggle to have any real impact in his first year. Their future 1st is pretty much guaranteed to be pick 1

Dees.

Wiz it is then!

Will be interesting to see what happens draft night if it gets to our pick after Reid, Duursma and McKercher have been taken.

If the club prefers Watson but are confident the Dogs will take Sanders then do we take the Dees 6 + 11 if offered.

Would be a huge call to make. Could the club live with the scenario where the Dogs take Watson instead? Caddy/Sanders + 11 isn't the end of the world imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back