Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1765698
Also is number one player in the comp for total marks taken

Please don’t quite disposals and marks for players like Ryan. He takes kick outs, and is used as the cross ground outlet as part of Freo’s deplorable ‘kick backwards’ playing style they often implement. Ryan has 14 contested marks .. 85th in the comp. Moore has 44. Ballard 43. Balta 42. Weitering 35 etc….

Ryan is having a great season and will make the AA squad… he may even make the team. But you need to largely ignore stats accumulated by players like Ryan (except intercepts and contested marks which are valuable) - but Ryan is 30 intercepts behind all of Moore, Ballard and Balta as well as 30 contested marks behind them. Those guys also play on the oppo’s most dangerous forwards a lot more than Ryan does.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But how many has he kicked under the lid at Marvel?

How many has he kicked during the day when their is less dew on the ball?

How many has he kicked whilst Mercury was in retrograde?

These are the questions we must answer before we determine whether Charlie is worthy.
goals against saints on a sunday afternoon

breust 6
larkey 6*
tex 5
curnow 3*
allen 2
hogan 2
mihocek 2

*2 games played

I am probably going to be the ultimate jinx here, but could Bontempelli realistically shake the record of 8 All Australians? I can't see him falling off a cliff in the next 4 seasons, and he'll have 5 at the end of this year. I think at a minimum he should equal it.

He had a down year last year but despite that there's a fair argument that he should've had a jacket last year.

I am probably going to be the ultimate jinx here, but could Bontempelli realistically shake the record of 8 All Australians? I can't see him falling off a cliff in the next 4 seasons, and he'll have 5 at the end of this year. I think at a minimum he should equal it.

He had a down year last year but despite that there's a fair argument that he should've had a jacket last year.

He is going to be 28 at the start of next season and you can't guarantee what will happen when a player hits 30.

He is going to be 28 at the start of next season and you can't guarantee what will happen when a player hits 30.
You're right. On reflection there aren't many best in the game midfielders at 30+ still making All Australian teams. There are a few forwards though so maybe that is on his side as I think it's fairly clear he can move into the forward line as he starts to lose his effectiveness later down the track.

Probably needed one or two in 2015, 2017, 2018 or 2022. The playing through injuries last year cost him. 2018 he was just forward too much & we were shit. 2017 he could have made it with a generous selection.

You're right. On reflection there aren't many best in the game midfielders at 30+ still making All Australian teams. There are a few forwards though so maybe that is on his side as I think it's fairly clear he can move into the forward line as he starts to lose his effectiveness later down the track.

He could still be great at 30 and 31, but often there is a big drop off for midfielders about that age, and injuries start happening more making it harder for these players to get in the AA team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could still be great at 30 and 31, but often there is a big drop off for midfielders about that age, and injuries start happening more making it harder for these players to get in the AA team.
Sounds right. Danger got his 8th at 30. Injuries promptly dropped him off a cliff.

If he has 4, then best to focus on 5 and 6 before looking ahead to 8.

Reads like "Will this first time premiership team be the next 3 peaters?"

Nic Newman putting together a fine season. Probably not enough given how competitive the half back role is but he is one of the best right now. Doing everything

If Nic newman is not in everyone’s AA team then they either aren’t watching enough or the hand no idea how a small defender should play footy.

He could go close. He's a natural footballer as much as athlete, so even accounting for physically dropping off, he could long be a very effective footballer one way or another.

If he has 4, then best to focus on 5 and 6 before looking ahead to 8.

Reads like "Will this first time premiership team be the next 3 peaters?"
Seriously? You'd have to be incredibly daft to make that comparison..

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back