Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I'm just saying there's a pretty strong correlation there. Not that it's right or wrong. If you're a top 10 mid on that list you're gonna make the team at least 90% of the time. The curio of much hyped wingmen this year just throws a spanner into the works. Gulden is up there on that leaderboard anyway but J.Daicos is not - however I can't see a vital component of clearly the best team missing out.
Josh Daicos is on 48 coaches votes, but has received votes in 11 games. Has to be in.

Josh Daicos is on 48 coaches votes, but has received votes in 11 games. Has to be in.

Both have to. Just pick two wingers its's really not that hard. Josh on one (and frankly he was in my side last year) and Gulden on the other wing. Martin has been good but not as good as those two.

Who has he had a better season than?

He's been better than Cripps and Taranto from an inside midfielders point of view.
I'd argue he's been better than Viney as well.
Newcombe is a different sort of player who is standing out in a poorer side. Comparatively harder to say who has been better, but I can see people choosing Libba for sure, and I wouldn't say they're incorrect with any confidence.

It would be silly if Jackson were picked as the ruckman when he’s probably only played 6-8 weeks as the number one ruck.

Wouldn’t select him as a forward and obviously not as a mid.

A big last 2 weeks and he should be in the squad with an eye on a bench position.

It would be silly if Jackson were picked as the ruckman when he’s probably only played 6-8 weeks as the number one ruck.

A big last 2 weeks and he should be in the squad with an eye on a bench position.

Would be doing well to get in the squad. The two rucks will be Gawn and English. They rarely bother about more than that, maybe a forward who can ruck there but you have Hawkins who is likely in the squad

He's been better than Cripps and Taranto from an inside midfielders point of view.
I'd argue he's been better than Viney as well.
Newcombe is a different sort of player who is standing out in a poorer side. Comparatively harder to say who has been better, but I can see people choosing Libba for sure, and I wouldn't say they're incorrect with any confidence.

Duke is a year away, wouldn't be against a squad selection but he'd be one of those borderline ones, he's a tricky one. If I were to guess misses this year but makes it next season, there's always a few like this.

Would be doing well to get in the squad. The two rucks will be Gawn and English. They rarely bother about more than that, maybe a forward who can ruck there but you have Hawkins who is likely in the squad

He is having an underrated season because he started slow and Freo paid overs for him. His games without Darcy have been pretty elite, but some along side him have been pretty slow.

As mentioned above he should flog Lycett and Reeves and that could tick him over.

Duke is a year away, wouldn't be against a squad selection but he'd be one of those borderline ones, he's a tricky one. If I were to guess misses this year but makes it next season, there's always a few like this.

Just to clarify, I was responding to a post about Libba.

But I agree 100%. I'll actually be stunned if Duke makes the squad this year, although I'd love to see it. Thought Dylan Moore wad a squad lock last season and it didn't happen. Sicily's omission has obviously been spoken to death in this thread.
Basically, Hawthorn supporters know that it comes to the AA side, we're only ever going to be shocked in a disappointing way, not a positive one.

He is having an underrated season because he started slow and Freo paid overs for him. His games without Darcy have been pretty elite, but some along side him have been pretty slow.

As mentioned above he should flog Lycett and Reeves and that could tick him over.

How many rucks are they picking though? He could put in two Gawn performances and he'd still be a mile behind Gawn and English.

But I agree 100%. I'll actually be stunned if Duke makes the squad this year, although I'd love to see it. Thought Dylan Moore wad a squad lock last season and it didn't happen. Sicily's omission has obviously been spoken to death in this thread.
Basically, Hawthorn supporters know that it comes to the AA side, we're only ever going to be shocked in a disappointing way, not a positive one.

Sicily makes the squad, won't comment on the team as those positions are highly contested. Wasn't shocked on Moore though had him fractionally behind the ones that were in, but I have to say he's one of my favourite opposition players love how creative he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd be controversial to even have two rucks this year I think.

We only had one last year unless you count Blicavs brief chop outs.

There are usually two but only because usually two have had outstanding, consistent seasons.

With two wingmen likely to be selected, if you select two rucks then we could end up with the fewest amount of midfielders in memory. Unless of course they just start squeezing them into forward pockets. As usual, it'll probably be the forwards that suffer.

Two big performances takes him to 75+ coaches votes. Hard to ignore.

Very easy to ignore. The other two have been way ahead over the season. Coaches votes are so flawed anyway. Dogs have how many mids and forwards? Melbourne the same.

I tend to agree, I think he'll simply be an outlier as far as rucks on the coaches votes leaderboard that miss out.

They'll go with Gawn or English as the ruckman but I think there's a chance they need bench spots for mids given the two wingmen being picked.

It'd be controversial to even have two rucks this year I think.

We only had one last year unless you count Blicavs brief chop outs.

There are usually two but only because usually two have had outstanding, consistent seasons.

With two wingmen likely to be selected, if you select two rucks then we could end up with the fewest amount of midfielders in memory. Unless of course they just start squeezing them into forward pockets. As usual, it'll probably be the forwards that suffer.

Honestly I'd pick 1 ruck but I'd be happy with 2 chosen with Gawn getting the ruck. Yeah the wings are going to cause some havoc with the squad, then you have utilities like Miers who deserves a squad position too

Honestly I'd pick 1 ruck but I'd be happy with 2 chosen with Gawn getting the ruck. Yeah the wings are going to cause some havoc with the squad, then you have utilities like Miers who deserves a squad position too
Why would you pick Gawn ahead of English?

I can’t see anything statistically (on averages) that puts Max ahead and he’s played three fewer games.

Why would you pick Gawn ahead of English?

I can’t see anything statistically (on averages) that puts Max ahead and he’s played three fewer games.

Eye test tend to trust what I see and Gawn has been better more influential in a side that’s top4. It’s not by a lot but he’s ahead

Eye test tend to trust what I see and Gawn has been better more influential in a side that’s top4. It’s not by a lot but he’s ahead
Do you think that’s recency bias though? He’s definitely been the best ruck over the last 6-8 weeks but I’m just not sure how that gets him a jacket.

I’m very obviously biased so I’m likely wrong though.

Duke should hopefully make the squad, but I'd be very surprised if he made the team. His best chance would be to smash it these last 2 weeks and hope for some recency bias (which selectors can be guilty of).

Do you think that’s recency bias though? He’s definitely been the best ruck over the last 6-8 weeks but I’m just not sure how that gets him a jacket.

I’m very obviously biased so I’m likely wrong though.

Nope not recency and it works both ways English has tapered off too. Gawn still had some very influential games the first half. Have him ahead not by a lot but I expect them to go with the one in the top 4 and no issue with it. They will both be in the squad anyway and I expect them to go Gawn.

Agreed, him and Cripps have had underrated years.
Cripps was bloody ordinary during your losing streak

Has had some really good games but he hasn't had a great year at all

Cripps was bloody ordinary during your losing streak

Has had some really good games but he hasn't had a great year at all
But he's been phenomenal during our 8 game winning streak.

Even during our losing streak he wasn't that bad. Still had big numbers against teams like Dogs and Saints.

If he finishes in the top 8-10 of the coaches votes he'll be a smoky IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back