Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

After seeing this post, I'd thought it would be interesting to see coaches votes versus top 8 teams, amongst top 20 vote getters:

Dawson52
Newcombe43
Taranto37
Cripps36
Bontempelli35
Sinclair33
Merrett29
Anderson29
Rozee25
Liberatore25
Daicos24
Butters24
Jackson23
Viney22
Houston21
Serong17
Gulden15
Neale12
Greene10

I wonder if this changes some people's perceptions around certain players.
I fully expect Dawson to be overlooked but 10 votes clear what a machine

I fully expect Dawson to be overlooked but 10 votes clear what a machine
Dawson gets coaches votes almost every game. He'd have to be one of the most consistent midfielders in the comp this season. Top 15 for score involvements and goal assists, 5th for inside 50's - all he's lacking are goals himself. But not every AA midfielder needs to have 20 plus goals. He's a great user of the ball and a territory machine so he's a lock for me.

Dawson gets coaches votes almost every game. He'd have to be one of the most consistent midfielders in the comp this season. Top 15 for score involvements and goal assists, 5th for inside 50's - all he's lacking are goals himself. But not every AA midfielder needs to have 20 plus goals. He's a great user of the ball and a territory machine so he's a lock for me.
He's a gun, agree he should be a lock.

Noidnadroj Langford's goals and assists tonight so far make up 100% of his sides goals, and he has been involved in 66% of their scores...in a losing side against the best team in the comp. After scoring 40% of his sides goals last week. What a player!

His contest work has been a little lacking the last 2 weeks for a 192cm forward - having watched him closer than normal he has struggled under any physical pressure… maybe it’s not a ‘thing’ so I a few of his numbers:

121st in the comp for contested marks. For a 192cm forward who has been his teams primary target most of the year no less.

Sits about 20th for contested possessions for tall (190cm+) forwards. (269th overall in comp).

He knows how to find space to get on the end of his teammates hard work, and has been a good finisher this year.

AA worthy? Not for me as any of Martin, Bolton, Daniher and Cameron (both Camerons) are ahead of him. And Curnow, Walker and Greene are locks. With at least one of Petracca/Rozee being chosen on a flank.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

His contest work has been a little lacking the last 2 weeks for a 192cm forward - having watched him closer than normal he has struggled under any physical pressure… maybe it’s not a ‘thing’ so I a few of his numbers:

121st in the comp for contested marks. For a 192cm forward who has been his teams primary target most of the year no less.

Sits about 20th for contested possessions for tall (190cm+) forwards. (269th overall in comp).

He knows how to find space to get on the end of his teammates hard work, and has been a good finisher this year.

AA worthy? Not for me as any of Martin, Bolton, Daniher and Cameron (both Camerons) are ahead of him. And Curnow, Walker and Greene are locks. With at least one of Petracca/Rozee being chosen on a flank.

Larkey has had a phenomenonal season for a very very poor team. Deserves strong consideration for AA team (even on the bench)

Forwards in sides getting belted by that much very rarely are able to do much. They've scored 8 goals in 2 weeks, 4 of them from Langford's goals/assists but it's Essendon's competitive games (let's say lower than 10 goal beltings) from which I'd be looking at. It is an unfortunate time for Essendon to serve up arguably the two worst performances of the year though so it wouldn't surprise me if on line-ball calls it swings Langford/Merrett's spots.

From your list, C.Cameron, Daniher and Bolton have solid cases. But it wouldn't surprise me to see both Petracca and Rozee on flanks (even though I'd like one to be selected as ruck rover).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larkey has had a phenomenonal season for a very very poor team. Deserves strong consideration for AA team (even on the bench)
Today's game could swing it. 5, 6 and 6 (with plenty of time left) goals/assists when North have been somewhat competitive is a great finish.

Edit: 6 goals and 2 assists for the big man now!

Last edited:

I didn’t have Larkey in the team… if he ends with 8 or 9 today things might change.

Forwards in sides getting belted by that much very rarely are able to do much. They've scored 8 goals in 2 weeks, 4 of them from Langford's goals/assists but it's Essendon's competitive games (let's say lower than 10 goal beltings) from which I'd be looking at. It is an unfortunate time for Essendon to serve up arguably the two worst performances of the year though so it wouldn't surprise me if on line-ball calls it swings Langford/Merrett's spots.

From your list, C.Cameron, Daniher and Bolton have solid cases. But it wouldn't surprise me to see both Petracca and Rozee on flanks (even though I'd like one to be selected as ruck rover).

That’s why I didn’t just look at 2 weeks. He’s 121st for contested marks and 269th for contested possessions (20th amongst tall forwards) across the season. He’s a 192cm receiver.

It reminds me of everyone taking up Mabior Chol last season … he kicked 40-odd goals, but they were nearly all uncontested or ‘Joe the gooses’. It just doesn’t impress me… Chol is now playing QAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back