Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Taylor Walker for having such a great individual season, capping it off last night with a sensational 9.4 (on McGovern) and being selected in the All Australian team for the the first time in his career. I'm jumping the gun by a few days, but he's definitely in and it's long overdue!

I always read a lot of negative crap about him on here. He's a rough diamond... a bogan country boy from Broken Hill who has made a few regrettable blues along the way.

Speaking as an opposition fan with no real hate or love for the Crows, Tex has always been one of my favourite AFL players to watch. One of the champions of the game. A great mark... a beautiful kick... One of the best kicks ever... Like Carey or Buddy the way he'd unload drop punt bombs from 65m. People always went on about Stevie J's ability to kick around corners. How good is big Tex at curling goals around the corner from the boundary line off either foot? Like shelling peas!

But not just mark & kick... He's a superb forward craftsman who plays with great poise & positioning. Dual-sided... Great awareness of what's around him and the state of the game. Standing up in the big moments and getting his team across the line.. Or little things, like one of his goals last night in the 4th quarter. I think it was his 7th or 8th... the way he turned, got front & square, roved the ball cleanly off hands and in the blink of an eye, he dribbled it through for a goal. Breust or Cyril would've been proud of kicking that one. You can't teach that to a key forward. That's natural ability.

It's been a while since I was yelling at my TV screen, excitedly punching the air and cheering on an opposition key forward like it was a Hawthorn player. A lot of appreciation & respect from commentators Dermie and Pav as they giggled with excitement and marvelled at the Tex Walker Show. It was like a flashback to the 1990's when Plugger or Carey would majestically take over a game and boot a big bag of goals.

Last edited:
Can easily fit Curnow Tex and Larkey in the same side. Greene Cameron and
1 ruck only please. No bench spot.
Tex can do the F50 ruck work.

This is a pretty good team

I'd drop Weitering for Sam Taylor.

And id just find another player to come in for one of the rucks. Can't think of who while I'm sitting on the toilet 🪠
You think a Taylor who has missed 7 games is ahead of Weitering even though Weitering beats him in nearly every statistical category?

will be tough splitting marshall and english for the first ruck position.

be interesting to see if they pick both with one on the bench
Last week I thought both would be picked with Walker & Curnow. Larkey might have forced his way into the team at the expense of one of English or Marshall.

almost feels like i’m being pranked that people are comparing a season from 11 years ago from a player in a mid table team to nick larky kicking 71 goals in a 17th placed team.

you can pick all the stats you want, but that’s clearly an impressive season by any player (being beaten by 2 players) and the context of north being a very weak side this year only strengthens the fact that he’s been consistently one of their best players

The stats around Dusty are now impossible to ignore, will the blind spot that is Dustin Martins non AA selections come off this year?
So you've given up on Bolton and Taranto, huh?

Pouring all of your energy into canvassing for Dusty at the 11th hour and hoping that Champion Data's nerdlings can sway the likes of Nafan and Korn?

:D

The stats around Dusty are now impossible to ignore, will the blind spot that is Dustin Martins non AA selections come off this year?
25 goals as a forward is the one that stands out to me. Jaidyn Stephenson scored more.

15 goal assists almost gets him close to Cam Rayner territory.

He'll finish up on the same amount of score involvements (but less than half the amount of goals) as Jeremy Cameron who was injured the second half of the season. And no, Cameron wasn't AA worthy either.

25 goals as a forward is the one that stands out to me. Jaidyn Stephenson scored more.

15 goal assists almost gets him close to Cam Rayner territory.

He'll finish up on the same amount of score involvements (but less than half the amount of goals) as Jeremy Cameron who was injured the second half of the season. And no, Cameron wasn't AA worthy either.
They will always find a way

'Yeah but he does it in a winning team, that matters'

'Yeah but disposals don't matter it is about impact'

'Yeah but the goals don't matter he is averaging over 20 touches a game'

Larkey should be in the AA team, he shouldn't be excluded just because he didn't get a chance to play North Melbourne.

He could have finished with 80-90 goals if he played on McKay once or twice this season. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've made one change to my team.

B: T. Stewart - S. Taylor - J. Sicily

HB: N. Daicos - J. Weitering - J. Sinclair

C: J. Daicos - M. Bontempelli(C) - E. Gulden

HF: D. Martin - T. Walker - C. Petracca

FF: C. Cameron - C. Curnow - T. Greene

FOL: T. English - Z. Butters - C. Rozee

Int: C. Serong - N. Larkey - L. Neale - T. Liberatore

IN Larkey
OUT Taranto

Not as good as Langford

He is a fricking lock 👍
last fortnight makes it dubious at best in my opinion, no help from midfield obviously but kicking 3.4 as essentially the key forward works against him, he’s a lock for the squad but given how historically the aa selection committee would rather put midfielders on the forward flank he’s vying for a bench spot or competing with charlie cameron

Ah, Hoyney

Daniel "Brent Daniels is elite" Hoyne
Daniel "Nic Martin is the best wingman in the comp" Hoyne
Daniel "Brodie Grundy is the All Australian ruckman" Hoyner Hoynie

The thing I like about Hoyne is how subtle he is with his opinions.
He is never one to go overboard and speak total bollocks.

And he always has the stats to prove it. :thumbsu:

When he speaks, everyone listens...

Ah, Hoyney

Daniel "Brent Daniels is elite" Hoyne
Daniel "Nic Martin is the best wingman in the comp" Hoyne
Daniel "Brodie Grundy is the All Australian ruckman" Hoyner Hoynie

The thing I like about Hoyne is how subtle he is with his opinions.
He is never one to go overboard and speak total bollocks.

And he always has the stats to prove it. :thumbsu:

When he speaks, everyone listens...
So you think Martin shouldn't make the team?

So you think Martin shouldn't make the team?
Nah. Squad maybe.

He doesn't get in as a midfielder... He doesn't get a HFF ahead of Petracca or Rozee

He doesn't get in ahead of Toby Greene or Charlie Cameron as a small/med forward
They've kicked over 50 goals... Dusty has kicked 25... :$

What position are you suggesting he should take?

The "Dustin Martin... He's the GOAT" spot?

Last edited:
Nah. Squad maybe.

He doesn't get in as a midfielder... He doesn't get a HHF ahead of Petracca or Rozee

He doesn't get in ahead of Toby Greene or Charlie Cameron as a small/med forward
They've kicked over 50 goals... Dusty has kicked 25... :$

What position are you suggesting he should take?

The "Dustin Martin... He's the GOAT" spot?
Who are are your 6 forwards then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back