HB: N. Daicos - J. Weitering - J. Sinclair

C: J. Daicos - M. Bontempelli(C) - E. Gulden

HF: D. Martin - T. Walker - C. Petracca

FF: C. Cameron - C. Curnow - T. Greene

FOL: T. English - Z. Butters - C. Rozee

Int: C. Serong - N. Larkey - L. Neale - T. Liberatore

IN Larkey
OUT Taranto
Taylor has missed 8 games now after pulling out so might find it hard to make it. Forward line is a tough call as Larkey probably deserves a gig. Bot who to leave out?

Taylor has missed 8 games now after pulling out so might find it hard to make it. Forward line is a tough call as Larkey probably deserves a gig. Bot who to leave out?
Yes, I'm going take him out now just thinking of who i'll replace with him. he has missed too many games unfortunately.

Taylor 15 games in a 24 game season is simply too little imo. Andrews or Weitering in for him. If there were no other standout players in the role maybe but Weitering, Andrews and Moore have all had pretty good seasons by any measure.

I would almost prefer the All Australian team to not have a bench, it should be field positions only. Also you have to actually pick players who play on the wing for wing spots and half forwards who play half forward a small defenders who actually defends and not just half back flanks and mids who have great stats in these spots.

Andrew McLeod, Nigel Lappin and Gary Ablett jnr, i think they’re the only blokes to make it with 15 games played and that was in a 22 game season.

Sam Taylor can’t be picked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sneak peak at the final side:

Sicily Weitering Stewart
N Daicos Moore Sinclair
Gulden Bont J Daicos
Rozee Walker Petracca
C Cameron Curnow Greene
Marshall Butters Serong
Larkey Libba Dawson Neale

Squad
Adelaide: Dawson, Laird, Walker
Brisbane: Andrews, Cameron, Daniher, Neale
Carlton: Curnow, Newman, Weitering
Collingwood: Daicos, Daicos, Moore
Essendon: Langford, Merrett
Fremantle: Serong
Geelong: Cameron, Hawkins, Miers, Stewart
Gold Coast: Anderson
GWS: Coniglio, Green, Greene, Taylor
Hawthorn: Breust, Sicily
Melbourne: Gawn, Petracca, Viney
North Melbourne: Larkey
Port Adelaide: Butters, Houston, Rozee
Richmond: Bolton, Martin, Taranto
St Kilda: Marshall, Sinclair, Wilkie
Sydney: Gulden
West Coast:
Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli, English, Liberatore

Team
B: Sicily - Andrews - Stewart
HB: N Daicos - Moore - Sinclair
C: Gulden - Bontempelli - Merrett
HF: Petracca - Walker - Greene
F: C Cameron - Curnow - Larkey
R: Marshall - Butters - Dawson
IC: Rozee - Neale - Houston - Liberatore
Sub: J Daicos

Nah. Squad maybe.

He doesn't get in as a midfielder... He doesn't get a HFF ahead of Petracca or Rozee

He doesn't get in ahead of Toby Greene or Charlie Cameron as a small/med forward
They've kicked over 50 goals... Dusty has kicked 25... :$

What position are you suggesting he should take?

The "Dustin Martin... He's the GOAT" spot?
Could get a bench spot. Has merit in that he's a gun both in the middle and up forward, if they pick one of those "real team" best 22s.

Not sure he will make the team but he'll make the squad.

almost feels like i’m being pranked that people are comparing a season from 11 years ago from a player in a mid table team to nick larky kicking 71 goals in a 17th placed team.

you can pick all the stats you want, but that’s clearly an impressive season by any player (being beaten by 2 players) and the context of north being a very weak side this year only strengthens the fact that he’s been consistently one of their best players

It’s a very very impressive season, and would be a worthy AA selection. I never said it wasn’t a very impressive season, just that history tells you it doesn’t guaranty an AA guernsey. Jack from 2012 and BB who finished 3rd, 2nd and 2nd in the Coleman with no AA blazer says if you don’t do much outside of the goals then you’re not an automatic selection.

FWIW I think he gets a bench spot after capping his season with 15-goals in the last 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've made one change to my team.

B: T. Stewart - S. Taylor - J. Sicily

HB: N. Daicos - J. Weitering - J. Sinclair

C: J. Daicos - M. Bontempelli(C) - E. Gulden

HF: D. Martin - T. Walker - C. Petracca

FF: C. Cameron - C. Curnow - T. Greene

FOL: T. English - Z. Butters - C. Rozee

Int: C. Serong - N. Larkey - L. Neale - T. Liberatore

IN Larkey
OUT Taranto

Sam Taylor is definitely not getting in having missed another game.

B: Sicily, Moore, Stewart
HB: NDaicos, Aliir, Houston

R: English, Butters, Rozee
C: JDaicos, Bontempelli, Gulden

HF: Petracca, Walker, CCameron
F: Greene, Curnow, Larkey

I: Sinclair, Dawson, Merrett, Neale

Collingwood: 3 (Moore, NDaicos, JDaicos)
Brisbane: 2 (CCameron, Neale)
Port: 4 (Aliir, Houston, Butters, Rozee)
Melbourne: 1 (Petracca)
Carlton: 1 (Curnow)
St Kilda: 1 (Sinclair)
GWS: 1 (Greene)
Sydney: 1 (Gulden)
Bulldogs: 2 (English, Bontempelli)
Adelaide: 2 (Walker, Dawson)
Essendon: 1 (Merrett)
Geelong: 1 (Stewart)
Richmond: 0
Fremantle: 0
Gold Coast: 0
Hawthorn: 1 (Sicily)
North: 1 (Larkey)
West Coast: 0

Ah, Hoyney

Daniel "Brent Daniels is elite" Hoyne
Daniel "Nic Martin is the best wingman in the comp" Hoyne
Daniel "Brodie Grundy is the All Australian ruckman" Hoyner Hoynie

The thing I like about Hoyne is how subtle he is with his opinions.
He is never one to go overboard and speak total bollocks.

And he always has the stats to prove it. :thumbsu:

When he speaks, everyone listens...

This is not a piss-take, but I honestly don’t believe people understand how the ratings work. This years they’ve developed a ratings system to compare each players performance against others playing the same position but extrapolated out to a full game.

This is likely why for a brief time Grundy was the highest rating ruckman, because he was sharing the ruck duties with Gawn. So for example if Grundy was in the ruck for 33.33% of a game and scored 8 x ratings points ‘whilst in the ruck’, that would equate to a 100% game rating of 24. if Tim English was in the ruck for 80% of the game and scored 16 ratings points, his full game equivalent score rating be 20. Grundy might be dog sh*te when out of the ruck, but as a pure ruck he might be killing it for the time he is rucking.

Then when they talk about xyz player being the best performed player in the competition over a 6-week period, that’s done by assessing which player is exceeding their expected rating by the most for that period.

So if all players whilst in the ruck average 6 and Gawn is averaging 12, he is performing 100% above expectation for that 6-weeks.

If a midfielders expected rating is 12 and they score 18, they are scoring 50% above expectation.

So the midfielder is scoring 18 and the ruckman is scoring 12, but for that 6-week period, when ‘compared to other players playing in the same position of the ground’, the ruckman is rated higher.

Obviously midfielders score more ratings points than other positions on the ground, hence the reporting is often done based on comparing like for like.

Don’t shoot the messenger… you may not agree with it but that’s how it works when Hoyney says their ratings has Grundy as the #1 ruck for a period of time.

Here are their player ratings for the season thus far with no adjustment for positions:

Bont 18.68
Butters 17.12
Libba 16.77
Oliver 16.72
Petracca 16.5
English 16.47
Anderson 16.25
Sinclair 16.17
Merrett 15.92
Naicos 15.84
LDU 15.76

So I’d say the ratings reflect the season pretty well.

So when you hear Hoyney say Sinclair is the #1 rated player this season, it’s because he is playing a lot of footy as a medium defender.

So if the midfielder average rating is 9.34 Bont is 2x. If the med defender average rating is 5.4, Sinclair is rating 3x.

I don’t mind comparing like for like, as there’s no point saying for example Jacob Weitering is the 97th rated player in the comp, when he might have the best rating in the comp relative to others playing the same position, which is a lot more relevant.

If Rozee is a lock, then these stats are interesting:

Rozee v Martin:

Disposals: 26.0 v 23.6
Goals. 0.9 v 1.2
GA: 0.7 v 0.8
Goals + goal assists: 1.6 v 2.0
SI: 7.0 v 7.7
Contested: 8.5 v 9.8
Tackles: 5.0 v 1.9
Clearances: 3.7 v 2.9
Turnovers: 5.9 v 4.5

I also believe Rozee is a lock, but Martin has pretty good claims doing it in a team finishing 13th compared to top-4.

Stewart Sicily Sinclair
Dawson Weitering Daicos
Merrett Bont Gulden
Petracca Curnow Larkey
Greene Walker C Cameron
English Rozee Serong

Butters Marshall Coniglio J Daicos

If Rozee is a lock, then these stats are interesting:

Rozee v Martin:

Disposals: 26.0 v 23.6
Goals. 0.9 v 1.2
GA: 0.7 v 0.8
Goals + goal assists: 1.6 v 2.0
SI: 7.0 v 7.7
Contested: 8.5 v 9.8
Tackles: 5.0 v 1.9
Clearances: 3.7 v 2.9
Turnovers: 5.9 v 4.5

I also believe Rozee is a lock, but Martin has pretty good claims doing it in a team finishing 13th compared to top-4.

Here is the main one you missed

5th in coaching votes v not in the top 20

Theres stats and there stats

Dusty is deserving of being in the squad but this year he wasn't a top 6 mid

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back