B: D Moore, Andrews, Dawson
HB: N.Daicos, Sicily, Sinclair
W: Butters, Liberatore, Rozzee
HF: Petracca, Walker, D.Martin
FF: C.Cameron, Curnow, Langford
R: English, Bontompelli, Merrett
INT: Toby Green, Marshall, Quaynor, Blakey
Rozee on a wing over Gulden? ???

I love Breust and he should've had more AAs in the past, but he had over 50 less score involvements less than Bolton and Miers in exchange for 6 (Miers) and 3 (Bolton) more combined goals/assists. On goals alone Breust was well ahead so I guess that was the logic.

If they do have a similar emphasis on goals for the best 22, then C.Cameron, Larkey and maybe Langford are locks.

Elaborating on my previous point - because a few have said goals and assists don't matter, Martin is an SI king - a bit more of an analysis on the most goal involvements this season. Combine goals and assists, subtract behinds from the surplus SIs and use 50% team accuracy as a rough estimate (it's imperfect as players will be in SIs that end up with forwards of varying accuracy, but it's the only way to do it):

The overall table of goal involvements (best estimate) for 2023:

1. Curnow: 121 goals
2. Walker: 115 goals
3. Greene: 112 goals
4. Petracca: 108 goals
5. Bontempelli: 101 goals
6. Langford: 100 goals
7. Miers: 100 goals
8. Coniglio: 94 goals
9. J.Cameron: 93 goals
10. Hawkins: 92 goals

11. Larkey: 91 goals
Bolton: 91 goals
13. C.Cameron: 90 goals
14. Naughton: 89 goals
Rozee: 89 goals
Butters: 89 goals
15. Papley: 86 goals
16. D.Martin: 86 goals
Adams: 86 goals
17. Daniher: 85 goals
18. Lukosius: 83 goals
Keays: 83 goals
20. Dawson: 82 goals

21. Hipwood: 81 goals
22. Gulden: 80 goals
Anderson: 80 goals
N.Martin: 80 goals
Merrett: 80 goals
Newcombe: 80 goals
27. Allen: 79 goals
Shultz: 79 goals
Brayshaw: 79 goals
30. Pendlebury: 78 goals
T.Kelly: 78 goals

32. Elliot: 77 goals
Ugle-Hagan: 77 goals
Heeney: 77 goals
N.Daicos: 77 goals
36. Rankine: 76 goals
Finlayson: 76 goals
Laird: 76 goals
McLuggage: 76 goals
Moore: 76 goals
Green: 76 goals

42. Close: 75 goals
Bailey: 75 goals
44. Pickett: 74 goals
Miochek: 74 goals
Warner: 74 goals
47. Rayner: 73 goals
De Goey: 73 goals
Higgins: 73 goals
Taranto: 73 goals

51. Serong: 72 goals
J.Daicos: 72 goals
Parker: 72 goals
54. Fogarty: 71 goals
55. Neale: 71 goals
56: Treloar: 70 goals
English: 70 goals
O.Henry: 69 goals
Walters: 69 goals

Martin has had an almost identical scoreboard impact to Adams, Papley and Daniher. Slightly ahead of Keays and Lukosius, slightly behind Naughton and C.Cameron as far as pure forwards, and a distance behind Langford and Miers (surprisingly even the injured Jezza and Hawkins too).

Coniglio is underrated. The coaches don't acknowledge him that much but he's involved in a lot of goals for someone never talked about.

Good analysis. That’s pretty crazy good from Martin when you consider he has missed 3 games and the Richmond forward line was without Lynch and a dogs breakfast most of the season…. and Tigers finished 13th.

The only players ahead of him in a lower scoring team for the season are Langford (Bombers scored 18 points less than Richmond) and Larkey … who both played permanent F50 and didn’t miss a game and were the primary target nearly all year for their team. And Bolton who didn’t miss a game.

That’s great insight for Martin’s goal contributions given what he provides in contest and general ball winning that is #1 in the comp amongst forwards.

He really has done it all. Great analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not really comparable. I'll break it down later but they've generally go x amount of defenders, y amount of midfielders, z amount of forwards and s amount of rucks. Newman was competing with the likes of Quaynor, Redman etc whilst Cripps and Taranto were competing against each other.
Newman ahead of Redman would've made sense though.

Everyone is blinded by Taranto’s purple patch of 6 games or so. He’s nowhere near as good outside of that.
Lets say I'm more mystified about Cripps getting in then

How the hell did Steven May and Sam Taylor not even make the squad.

What are these clowns watching?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone is blinded by Taranto’s purple patch of 6 games or so. He’s nowhere near as good outside of that.

I’m a Tiger and can confirm TT had a really poor last 5-6 games. May make the squad as he was great from about R3-R17, but no chance for the final team.

Edit … didn’t realise squad was released, but not overly surprised TT isn’t in it.

well i think its safe to say taylor missed out due to games missed

may has fallen off a bit this year. still a great player but not quite at the level he was over the last 2-3 years

as others have said taylor has missed like 1/3 of the season, kind of hard to be picked if you're not getting consistent footy

Don't mind May missing this year – could have maybe snuck into the 44, but he was a bit down compared to previous years.

I’m a Tiger and can confirm TT had a really poor last 5-6 games. May make the squad as he was great from about R3-R17, but no chance for the final team.

Edit … didn’t realise squad was released, but not overly surprised TT isn’t in it.

Yep usually have to be in a top 4 side to get in with only 16 good games also a lot of inside mids to fit in

Good analysis. That’s pretty crazy good from Martin when you consider he has missed 3 games and the Richmond forward line was without Lynch and a dogs breakfast most of the season…. and Tigers finished 13th.

The only players ahead of him in a lower scoring team for the season are Langford (Bombers scored 18 points less than Richmond) and Larkey … who both played permanent F50 and didn’t miss a game and were the primary target nearly all year for their team. And Bolton who didn’t miss a game.

That’s great insight for Martin’s goal contributions given what he provides in contest and general ball winning that is #1 in the comp amongst forwards.

He really has done it all. Great analysis.

I thought it was a good effort too. Although it's the same quality as all the ones you've rubbished, which reveals a little bias on your behalf.

There are a lot underrated players on the pointy end of that list. Papley and Adams have slept on everybody. By integrating productive score involvements you can filter out "but he just stays in the 50!" comments because all of the SIs starting way up the field are included anyway.

Martin did well with 86 but Miers with an estimated 100 while going at 19 disposals a game missed out on the squad. 14 goals is a fair difference so there's a question mark on that one. Bolton with 5 more I'd say was a fairer line ball decision. Breust made it on 69, the same number as O.Henry and Walters!

Gulden makes it but so should JDaicos that’s your two wingers
Yeah should clearly be those two, move Rozee from the wing to HF and Dusty out of that team.

Taylor missed too many games probably still the best defender but there’s usually a line on how many games someone can miss

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back