Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

No. There's only four rounds left, and unless something catastrophic happens, there's just no justifiable way to change that. Until last week, Gawn's form was nothing special. Still good, but nothing to suggest he should be anything near the AA team.

I know you were trying to suggest that Gawn should dethrone English as the AA ruck. No chance. Tim's been the undisputed best ruck in terms of his performance and consistency this year. 95% of teams have him as the AA ruck.

Now, if you were going to select one for a game tomorrow, that's a different argument. But that's not what this thread is for
I've seen English get pantsed by too many ruckmen for him to be an absolute lock. I REALLY don't want him in my AA team but is default because no others are standing up long enough. I want Witts to play some standout games but while consistent isn't there ditto for Marshall. Big O. Darcy hasn't played enough games same with Nankervis. If Gawn comes up with a couple BOG he is in.

40 MAN AA SQUAD WITH 5 ROUNDS TO GO

ADE
: T. Walker - J. Dawson - I. Rankine

BRI: H. Andrews - J. Payne - L. Neale - J. Daniher - C. Cameron

CAR: C. Curnow - S. Docherty

COL: D. Moore - I. Quaynor - T. Adams - N. Daicos - J. Daicos

ESS: Z. Merrett - K. Langford

FRE: L. Ryan - C. Serong

GEE: T. Stewart - T. Hawkins

GOL: n/a

GWS: T. Green - T. Greene - S. Coniglio

HAW
: n/a

MEL: S. May - J. Viney - C. Petracca

NOR: N. Larkey

POR: C. Rozee - Z. Butters - D. Houston

RIC: T. Taranto - N. Balta

STK: J. Sinclair - C. Wilkie - R. Marshall

SYD: E. Gulden

WCE: n/a

WBD: T. Liberatore - M. Bontempelli - T. English

I've seen English get pantsed by too many ruckmen for him to be an absolute lock. I REALLY don't want him in my AA team but is default because no others are standing up long enough. I want Witts to play some standout games but while consistent isn't there ditto for Marshall. Big O. Darcy hasn't played enough games same with Nankervis. If Gawn comes up with a couple BOG he is in.
Don’t get me wrong, there’s been a couple of games where English has been below par. Pantsed is a strong word, his worst game was certainly against Port Adelaide where he let Lycett get the better of him (somehow). His ruckwork is never going to be the best in the comp, but he’s certainly the best around the ground ruck in the league, which has been on show all year if you’ve been watching.

The statement that Gawn is even remotely a chance instead of English is just plain wrong and reeks of recency bias.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s been a couple of games where English has been below par. Pantsed is a strong word, his worst game was certainly against Port Adelaide where he let Lycett get the better of him (somehow). His ruckwork is never going to be the best in the comp, but he’s certainly the best around the ground ruck in the league, which has been on show all year if you’ve been watching.

The statement that Gawn is even remotely a chance instead of English is just plain wrong and reeks of recency bias.
Being a Port supporter that was one of the games I was alluding to . Also v Witts was not good. I think I have probably watched all the games where he hasn't been that good and missed all the good games.

STARTING 18 FROM 18 (5 ROUNDS TO GO)

FB - L. Ryan (FRE) - H. Andrews (BRI) - T. Stewart (GEE)

HB - J. Sinclair (STK) - J. Sicily (HAW) - N. Daicos (COL)

C - J. Dawson (ADE) - T. Taranto (RIC) - E. Gulden (SYD)

HF - C. Rozee (POR) - C. Curnow (CAR) - C. Petracca (MEL)

FF - T. Greene (GWS) - N. Larkey (NOR) - O. Allan (WCE)

FOLL - J. Witts (GCS) - M. Bontempelli (WBD) - Z. Merrett (ESS)

I like your Witts selection. Larkey and Allan not so much

Sticking to your guidelines:

FB: Sicily (HAW) Ballard (GC) Stewart (GEE)

HB: Sinclair (STK) Moore (COL) Sheezel (NM)

C: Gulden (SYD) Bontempelli (WB) N.Martin (ESS)

HF: Bolton (RIC) Daniher (BRI) Rankine (ADE)

FF: Greene (GWS) Curnow (CAR) Allen (WCE)

FOL: Darcy (FRE) Butters (PA) Petracca (MEL)

Geelong kissed on the you know what every year by the AA so I'm expecting them to have a few. Tom Stewart has not been that good this season he has made a lot of errors. I haven't seen him get beat as much this year.

Geelong kissed on the you know what every year by the AA so I'm expecting them to have a few. Tom Stewart has not been that good this season he has made a lot of errors. I haven't seen him get beat as much this year.
They always get a backman in as there always is a backman racking up uncontested possessions at Kardinia Park.

Last edited:
When does Wietering get a look in? Has played some bad footy for a period this season, too far gone? Is there a tipping point if his form continues as he has probably been in the top few defenders over the last 5-6 weeks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right, he's lost a whopping 22% of defensive 1v1 contests this season vs 20% last season. Surely a 2% drop on that metric alone doesn't change too much.

He was injured at the start of the Collingwood match. Exclude that and his 2023 season averages in terms of his whole career (from 7 years) are:

-best for intercept marks
-best for contested possessions
-2nd best for intercept possessions
-2nd best for disposals
-2nd best for tackles
-2nd best for rebound 50s
-2nd lowest for clangers
-2nd best for total marks
-2nd for contested marks
-3rd for uncontested possessions

He's already picked up coaches votes 3 more times than all of last season, almost twice as many times as the next Geelong player, and slightly more often (plus more per game) than his 2021 season where he won the Cats B&F - which he'd likely be leading or top 2 in again.

All in all probably the 2nd best year of his career, pushing for best. Geelong would be a few games worse off without him and out of finals contention.

You're right, he's lost a whopping 22% of defensive 1v1 contests this season vs 20% last season. Surely a 2% drop on that metric alone doesn't change too much.

He was injured at the start of the Collingwood match. Exclude that and his 2023 season averages in terms of his whole career (from 7 years) are:

-2nd best for disposals
-2nd best for tackles
-2nd lowest for clangers
-2nd for contested marks

He's already picked up coaches votes 3 more times than all of last season, almost twice as many times as the next Geelong player, and slightly more often (plus more per game) than his 2021 season where he won the Cats B&F - which he'd likely be leading or top 2 in again.

All in all probably the 2nd best year of his career, pushing for best. Geelong would be a few games worse off without him and out of finals contention.
I don't think he has been as good this year the other years he was deserving but this year their has been bettter defenders imo. no hate just my opinion.

Very impressive of Richmond to have so many players in the AA team for a side that isn't in the 8.

Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton, Tim Taranto, Noah Balta - surely I am missing 2-3 others?
thats funny considering Geelong is on exactly the same amount of points, and they will get at 5 in the team as usual maybe more

Enright
Hawkins
Cameron
James Kelly
Messi

I am sure I have missed one

I don't watch enough games each week to comment on AA selection.

But I am a stats nerd, so here is an interesting stat on the top 10 goalkickers; looking at what % of their teams' total scores they have kicked.

View attachment 1752542

Charlie dining out against WCE is a valid argument. But playing for Adelaide, Geelong and Brisbane is also a pretty decent boost. On the flip side, kicking goals for North and WCE is bloody hard yakka.

(You won't believe me, but...) Disclaimer: I prepared this chart expecting Allen and Larkey to be #1 and #2. It was not intended as a Curnow pump.

Note: Curnow and Naughton badly need to improve their kicking. Daniher not far behind. And all three have struggled their entire careers. Larkey, Allen and C Cameron all have amazing conversion this year.
Playing for Brisbane isn't a boost. The fact that Daniher is our best but with only 16% of team scores means we have a more diverse scoring array. Staggeringly different to say Carlton and Curnows 27%. I'd imagine Daniher would be right up there with a near 11% more shots on goal. Or maybe he'd just kicked more out on the full😅

40 MAN AA SQUAD WITH 5 ROUNDS TO GO

ADE
: T. Walker - J. Dawson - I. Rankine

BRI: H. Andrews - J. Payne - L. Neale - J. Daniher - C. Cameron

CAR: C. Curnow - S. Docherty

COL: D. Moore - I. Quaynor - T. Adams - N. Daicos - J. Daicos

ESS: Z. Merrett - K. Langford

FRE: L. Ryan - C. Serong

GEE: T. Stewart - T. Hawkins

GOL: n/a

GWS: T. Green - T. Greene - S. Coniglio

HAW
: n/a

MEL: S. May - J. Viney - C. Petracca

NOR: N. Larkey

POR: C. Rozee - Z. Butters - D. Houston

RIC: T. Taranto - N. Balta

STK: J. Sinclair - C. Wilkie - R. Marshall

SYD: E. Gulden

WCE: n/a

WBD: T. Liberatore - M. Bontempelli - T. English
Good shout with Jack Payne. Doubt he will make it but has been solid in most games.

I don't watch enough games each week to comment on AA selection.

But I am a stats nerd, so here is an interesting stat on the top 10 goalkickers; looking at what % of their teams' total scores they have kicked.

View attachment 1752542

Charlie dining out against WCE is a valid argument. But playing for Adelaide, Geelong and Brisbane is also a pretty decent boost. On the flip side, kicking goals for North and WCE is bloody hard yakka.

(You won't believe me, but...) Disclaimer: I prepared this chart expecting Allen and Larkey to be #1 and #2. It was not intended as a Curnow pump.

Note: Curnow and Naughton badly need to improve their kicking. Daniher not far behind. And all three have struggled their entire careers. Larkey, Allen and C Cameron all have amazing conversion this year.
Jeepers, imagine if Charlie kicked straighter

I don't think he has been as good this year the other years he was deserving but this year their has been bettter defenders imo. no hate just my opinion.
Yeah no hate, I respect your opinion. Was just pointing out that he is holding up to near-career best on pretty much every statistical metric (I don't blame you for not watching every game) and in the view of the coaches.

The rebound 50-heavy back pockets/third talls are Stewart, Ryan, Sicily, Ziebell, Hardwick, Vlastuin and McGrath. Sicily and Stewart are easily having the best seasons from that group of players I reckon - although Vlastuin has been good the last two months.

-2nd best for disposals
-2nd best for tackles
-2nd lowest for clangers
-2nd for contested marks

He's been injured and suspended and plays his good games in losses so it's a no from me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back