B: Sicily Moore Stewart
HB: Sinclair Taylor Daicos

C: English Bont Butters
R: J.Daicos Dawson Gulden

HF: Rozee Curnow Petracca
FF: Greene Walker C.Cameron

I: Libba Merrett Houston J.Cameron

Close: Langford, Quaynor, Andrews, Wilkie, Marshall, Taranto
i pretty much agree with this would swap serong with houston.

B: Sicily Moore Stewart
HB: Sinclair Taylor Daicos

C: English Bont Butters
R: J.Daicos Dawson Gulden

HF: Rozee Curnow Petracca
FF: Greene Walker C.Cameron

I: Libba Merrett Houston J.Cameron

Close: Langford, Quaynor, Andrews, Wilkie, Marshall, Taranto
Does Taylor deserve to be in now? Missed 7 games and hasn't been great the last couple of weeks

Does Taylor deserve to be in now? Missed 7 games and hasn't been great the last couple of weeks

I find the Taylor obsession this year a bit odd. Seems to have caught fire in the media.

You have to have one hell of a season to make AA after missing that many games. Only one in the last 2 decades is Ablett when he nearly won the brownlow off 14 games.

Taylor has been good. Probably the best KPD in the league but he isn't far ahead of several other guys who have played full seasons.

I find the Taylor obsession this year a bit odd. Seems to have caught fire in the media.

You have to have one hell of a season to make AA after missing that many games. Only one in the last 2 decades is Ablett when he nearly won the brownlow off 14 games.

Taylor has been good. Probably the best KPD in the league but he isn't far ahead of several other guys who have played full seasons.
I think there needs to now be a genuine case made for Wilkie. Guys been arguably THE most consistent key back of the season

Where are the Giants supporters to defend Taylor? Or who cares about this award?

B: Tom Stewart - Darcy Moore - James Sicily
HB: Nick Daicos - Harris Andrews - Jack Sinclair
C: Errol Gulden - Jordan Dawson - Josh Daicos
HF: Christian Petracca - Taylor Walker - Connor Rozee
F: Toby Greene - Charlie Curnow - Kyle Langford
R: Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Zak Butters
I: Jeremy Cameron - Tim Taranto - Jack Viney - Tom Liberatorre

Jack Viney maybe a bit of a homer pick but he's been sensational this year. Wins Melbourne's B&F imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Tom Stewart - Darcy Moore - James Sicily
HB: Nick Daicos - Harris Andrews - Jack Sinclair
C: Errol Gulden - Jordan Dawson - Josh Daicos
HF: Christian Petracca - Taylor Walker - Connor Rozee
F: Toby Greene - Charlie Curnow - Kyle Langford
R: Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Zak Butters
I: Jeremy Cameron - Tim Taranto - Jack Viney - Tom Liberatorre

Jack Viney maybe a bit of a homer pick but he's been sensational this year. Wins Melbourne's B&F imo.
Are the Bold locks? Cos may as well bold up Sicily, Gulden, J Daicos, Curnow, Langford, Libba

Bolton has had a good year overall but started slow and his last month he hasn't been as influential.

The 32 coaches votes difference is significant and I don't think we can simply qualify everything with "well he's in a worse team" or else by default we always have to add the caveat to Brownlow/Coaches votes/Ayres/NS awardees in dominant sides - "well his team was just way better".

Rozee has been arguably their most crucial player in driving them top 4 and his form didn't dip when their side did. He deserves his spot.

I agree he deserves a spot. Just interesting that statistically at least Bolton matches him. But I also accept stats are not everything and Bolton has been a bit inconsistent this year. His slow start was mostly due to not being given enough midfield time.. playing a lot more midfield started about R7. Although he suffers as he can play forward so gets shunted down there a fair bit when we need goals (I wish they’d let him play permanent midfield )…..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Coaches Association Midfielders Leaderboard:

1. Butters (92)
2. Petracca (90)
3. Bontempelli (87)
4. Rozee (80)
5. Merrett (73), Neale (73)
7. Anderson (71), Dawson (71)
9. Serong (69)
10. Newcombe (63), Taranto (63)
12. Cripps (60)
13. Viney (58)
14. Liberatore (56)

I think N.Daicos will get picked on a back flank instead.

In 2022, 10 midfielders were picked if you include Bolton, but there were no wingmen. All 10 were top 10 on the midfielders leaderboard.

In 2021, 10 midfielders were picked but there were no wingmen. 9 of them were top 10 on the midfielders leaderboard, with Macrae in 13th making it over Laird in 10th.

In 2020, 10 midfielders were picked, but there were no wingmen. 9 of them were top 10 on the midfielders leaderboard, with Martin making it over Merrett.

This season it looks like two genuine wingmen are locks (Gulden and J.Daicos) - I wonder if this reduces the amount of genuine midfielders selected to 8?

There's not been much talk of Anderson considering how well he's done, whereas Dawson seems locked into most people's sides. Positions 5-12 could still all swap.

Last edited:
Another curious factor is that a ruckman finishing on the coaches association leaderboard hasn't missed out since NicNat in 2015. You have to go even further to find the top vote getting ruckman missing out.

Jackson is on top right now, but there's been little talk of him.
He plays for the dockers they don’t have a mouth piece in the media.
It is funny that many are picking teams based on coaches votes but then ignore them looking at ruck/second ruck position

Another curious factor is that a ruckman finishing on the coaches association leaderboard hasn't missed out since NicNat in 2015. You have to go even further to find the top vote getting ruckman missing out.

Jackson is on top right now, but there's been little talk of him.
Pav’s on the AA panel now so he’s a good chance. Probably bench spot as he’s so versatile you would play him if your were playing an actual game.

Serong the other one without much talk even though he will go very close to most disposals if he keeps it up & is a clearance machine.

Also has had a two phase season, pretty poor early on, now killing it. Consistency is important for AA.
It was a few games while he was settling in as a forward in our system. Still had more output than a player who misses 4 or 5.

He’s going to kill it the next two weeks with Lycett out against Port & vs Meek/Reeves. Late season form is the most important part of getting in.

Coaches Association Midfielders Leaderboard:

1. Butters (92)
2. Petracca (90)
3. Bontempelli (87)
4. Rozee (80)
5. Merrett (73), Neale (73)
7. Anderson (71), Dawson (71)
9. Serong (69)
10. Newcombe (63), Taranto (63)
12. Cripps (60)
13. Viney (58)
14. Liberatore (56)

I think N.Daicos will get picked on a back flank instead.

In 2022, 10 midfielders were picked if you include Bolton, but there were no wingmen. All 10 were top 10 on the midfielders leaderboard.

In 2021, 10 midfielders were picked but there were no wingmen. 9 of them were top 10 on the midfielders leaderboard, with Macrae in 13th making it over Laird in 10th.

In 2020, 10 midfielders were picked, but there were no wingmen. 9 of them were top 10 on the midfielders leaderboard, with Martin making it over Merrett.

This season it looks like two genuine wingmen are locks (Gulden and J.Daicos) - I wonder if this reduces the amount of genuine midfielders selected to 8?

There's not been much talk of Anderson considering how well he's done, whereas Dawson seems locked into most people's sides. Positions 5-12 could still all swap.
I don't put too much weight on Coaches votes, as there has been some strange voting from coaches regarding their players.
Also a team can have 2 or 3 star midfielders that are having great years but because another team only has 1, then they get more votes.
I look at the list above and I think Libba has had a much better year than some of those above him.
14th on that list, is not a true reflection of his season.

I don't put too much weight on Coaches votes, as there has been some strange voting from coaches regarding their players.
Also a team can have 2 or 3 star midfielders that are having great years but because another team only has 1, then they get more votes.
I look at the list above and I think Libba has had a much better year than some of those above him.

Who has he had a better season than?

Well I'm just saying there's a pretty strong correlation there. Not that it's right or wrong. If you're a top 10 mid on that list you're gonna make the team at least 90% of the time. The curio of much hyped wingmen this year just throws a spanner into the works. Gulden is up there on that leaderboard anyway but J.Daicos is not - however I can't see a vital component of clearly the best team missing out.

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back