Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Really hope Wilkie gets All/Aus honours. Best defender in the best defensive team. Has turned into an interceptor this year complimenting his all round defensive game. Can play on any size from Toby Green to Jeremy Cameron to Charlie Curnow.
Has had a great year - solid!

Could be a squad inclusion..?

no way you can actually consider neale in, hes had some absolute stinkers way too many to be in the team
I haven’t watched enough of him but is this one of those scenarios where certain players are given higher standards than others?

I mean he’s 5th favourite for the Brownlow so his year couldn’t have been too bad.

Let it go mate he left years ago! Victim of such consistency over the past 5 years a couple stinkers so out of the ordinary the pile on is worse than if someone else had a couple average games.
hes known for not being able to really cope with a tag, nothing against him i still like the bloke, but other midfielders this year have just been consistently better

Settled on this:

Sicily Weitering Wilkie
N Daicos Moore Sinclair
Gulden Bont J Daicos
Greene Walker Petracca
C Cameron Curnow Larkey
English Butters Libba
Serong Rozzee Dawson Langford

Reckon fairly balanced. Wings play wing. Langford the swing man, but generally the hybrid half forward, Dawson can go back
Good Team. Houston the only omission and IMO he will get in.

Larkey probably the one to miss out.

I haven’t watched enough of him but is this one of those scenarios where certain players are given higher standards than others?

I mean he’s 5th favourite for the Brownlow so his year couldn’t have been too bad.
Cornes and Buckley who are AA selectors have both been critical of him, with regards to his impact.

He had some down games coming in to the final stretch, being heavily tagged.

He's lucky Oliver missed a lot of games and now Libba missed one and was subbed out in another .

Will only be on the bench if selected IMO.

Cornes and Buckley who are AA selectors have both been critical of him, with regards to his impact.

He had some down games coming in to the final stretch, being heavily tagged.

He's lucky Oliver missed a lot of games and now Libba missed one and was subbed out in another .

Will only be on the bench if selected IMO.
Despite missing the game Libba AA hopes may have increased if people are able to finally see the value he brings

B: Tom Stewart - Darcy Moore - James Sicily
HB: Nick Daicos - Harris Andrews - Jack Sinclair
C: Errol Gulden - Jordan Dawson - Josh Daicos
HF: Christian Petracca - Taylor Walker - Conor Rozee
F: Charlie Cameron - Charlie Curnow - Toby Greene
R: Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Zac Butters
I: Caleb Serong - Jack Viney - Dan Houston - Jeremy Cameron

Locks in bold.

Weitering has been an absolute brickwall these last couple of months, snd even before that he was really solid. along with all the Carlton hype, i reckon he would be stiff to miss.

Larkey should probably make it. Hes a similar case to Nick Riewoldt in 2014. While Riewoldt was more productiaround the ground, Larkey has at least 13 more goals on the season

Larkey won’t make it. He has only 5 goal assists. Ben Brown missed out the 3 x years he kicked 60+ for the same reason of being completely one dimensional.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

His numbers are down on previous seasons. But all the players numbers are down. We seem to be using the ball less then most while being more damaging with the smaller disposal number.

IMO Serong clear favourite now to be the starting Centre with Libba or Neale probably getting a spot on the bench

1st in league for disposals yet 60th for score involvements? Sounds like he's still a ball butcher... Pass

Serong ranks above both Neale and Libba for score involvements %. Serong ranks 12th in the coaches votes in a team which is 5th last, is better at CC, percentage wise, than both Neale and Libba, and has more meters gained per disposal.

Libba gets to kick to JUH and Nauhton, and Neale has Hipwood, Daniher and Cameron to kick to. Who does Serong have to kick to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weitering has been an absolute brickwall these last couple of months, snd even before that he was really solid. along with all the Carlton hype, i reckon he would be stiff to miss.

Larkey should probably make it. Hes a similar case to Nick Riewoldt in 2014. While Riewoldt was more productiaround the ground, Larkey has at least 13 more goals on the season
Weiters is the best stopper and general of what has been the best defense.

Larkey been a jet in a bad team. Swap him and Curnow and he'd win a Coleman.

B: Tom Stewart - Darcy Moore - James Sicily
HB: Nick Daicos - Harris Andrews - Jack Sinclair
C: Errol Gulden - Jordan Dawson - Josh Daicos
HF: Christian Petracca - Taylor Walker - Conor Rozee
F: Charlie Cameron - Charlie Curnow - Toby Greene
R: Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Zac Butters
I: Caleb Serong - Jack Viney - Dan Houston - Jeremy Cameron

Locks in bold.
Sicily is a 100% lock. isn't anyonne in the game who can have the same impact as he has.

A real shame Jeremy Cameron was carrying an AC joint injury for most of the year. Was on target for anything in the realm of 80-100 goals at one point prior to the season crippling injury. Would have been an absolute lock in the team

Neale is a victim of his own high standards round these parts.

Despite all the criticism he's still ranked 1st for clearances and 3rd for contested possessions and has been entrenched in the top 10 for coaches votes all year.

Tough gig.
Not sure if it's changed but mid season he was considered one of the least effective ball users in the league. I think it was champion data or similar

Not sure if it's changed but mid season he was considered one of the least effective ball users in the league. I think it was champion data or similar
He's going at a disposal efficiency of 75.5% which is higher than any other mid in contention for the team. What makes that stat even more impressive is that most of his possessions are contested and a lot of those are hard ball gets and clearances - none of them are easy.

Compare that to somelike like a Jack Viney who is going at 61% in a similar role. Neale is getting more of the footy, more contested possessions, clearances and score involvements and is being significantly more efficient.

Last edited:

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back