Goals. 0.9 v 1.2
GA: 0.7 v 0.8
Goals + goal assists: 1.6 v 2.0
SI: 7.0 v 7.7
Contested: 8.5 v 9.8
Tackles: 5.0 v 1.9
Clearances: 3.7 v 2.9
Turnovers: 5.9 v 4.5

I also believe Rozee is a lock, but Martin has pretty good claims doing it in a team finishing 13th compared to top-4.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Or in other words:

Martin has 5 more combined goals/assists.
Rozee has 6 more score involvements.
Rozee has 9 more score launches.
Rozee has 127 more disposals.
Rozee has 18 more marks.
Rozee has 105 more effective disposals.
Rozee has 30 more clearances.
The same amount of contested possessions.
Rozee has 134 more uncontested possessions.
Rozee has 26 more (40%) intercept possessions.
Rozee has 3 more ground ball gets.
Rozee has 39 more inside 50s.
Rozee has 21 more rebound 50s.
Rozee has 76 more tackles.
Rozee has 161 more pressure acts.
Martin has 17 less clangers.

Rozee featured in the coaches votes 14 times until round 22 (should end up 16); Martin featured 7 times (should end up 9).

Rozee was 50 odd coaches votes ahead at the end of round 22 (let's assume it's low 40s now).

It's not really that close.

Or in other words:

Rozee has 18 more marks.

Rozee featured in the coaches votes 14 times until round 22 (should end up 16); Martin featured 7 times (should end up 9).

Rozee was 50 odd coaches votes ahead at the end of round 22 (let's assume it's low 40s now).

Martin plays 80% forward and has possession stats not seen in a forward in 18 years and you want to put Larkey , Walker and Curnow in?

Tom Stewart is lucky enough to be in most teams I reckon. Can’t help think he’s been judged based on previous seasons performances. Anytime I’ve watched him this year he hasn’t stood out at all TBH.
The old adage that’s it’s harder to get out of the AA team than get into it could apply here..

Tom Stewart is lucky enough to be in most teams I reckon. Can’t help think he’s been judged based on previous seasons performances. Anytime I’ve watched him this year he hasn’t stood out at all TBH.
The old adage that’s it’s harder to get out of the AA team than get into it could apply here..
And he plays for geelong

Probably a bit bias here, but Wilkie has a strong enough case to be in over him despite being a slight different type of defender.

Plays on the best forward each week and rarely gets beaten, most intercepts for the season, polled more coaches votes and in more games than any other KPD type.

Larkey should get a spot on the bench but wont the AA selection panel will make sure of it
Yes because of the league wide conspiracy against North Melbourne.

Goals and assists round 24:

1. Charlie Curnow 96 (78/18)
2. Taylor Walker 92 (76/16)
3. Toby Greene 83 (60/23)
4. Nick Larkey 78 (71/7)
5. Kyle Langford 71 (51/20)
6. Charlie Cameron 69 (53/16)
7. Tom Hawkins 67 (49/18)
8. Jeremy Cameron 66 (53/13)/Aaron Naughton (44/22)
10. Joe Daniher 63 (51/12)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
43. Dustin Martin 40 (25/15)

Last edited:
I also believe Rozee is a lock, but Martin has pretty good claims doing it in a team finishing 13th compared to top-4.

Ladder position typically favours the finalists in AA selections. The average is 16 finalists selected per year, and 6 non-finalists. Virtually every year is a 15, 16 or 17 vs 7, 6 or 5 break up of finalists to non-finalists. Not the rule, but the trend.

I think Bont, Walker, Dawson and Sicily should be considered locks for non-finalists. Then there’s Serong, Merrett, Langford, Martin, Bolton, Taranto, Larkey, Stewart, Liberatore and English all firmly entrenched in consideration.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or in other words:

Rozee has 18 more marks.

James Sicily v Tom Stewart 2022:

Sicily 130 more disposals
65 more marks
50 more contested possessions
24 more contested marks
90 more one percenters
4,500 more metres gained
25 more intercepts
80 more rebound 50’s
55 coaches votes to 38

So of course if you want to analyse ‘totals’ then players who’ve missed a few games would never get selected. But this isn’t what happens.

If you want to split hairs, Andrews is ahead in intercept possessions, tackles and well ahead in spoils/ one percenters. For a key back they are some of the key metrics to look at imo. Andrews is ahead those...
Weitering is ahead in Marks, One on One Contests, One on One Contest Loss %, Contested Marks, Intercept Marks, Disposals, Rebound 50's and Metres Gained. Would rather someone marking the ball instead of spoiling. Tackles aren't really important for a FB.

If you want to split hairs, Andrews is ahead in intercept possessions, tackles and well ahead in spoils/ one percenters. For a key back they are some of the key metrics to look at imo. Andrews is ahead those...
My man said tackles for a full back :tearsofjoy:

Bit of a logjam for those final midfield/bench positions but love to see Jack Viney get rewarded for his season. Since Oliver went down he's been incredible.

That’s true. Stewart has had a season a bit like Luke Ryan. Just feels they’ve got plenty of the ball but haven’t defended overly well. The Geelong defence has certainly been very feeble this season.

But that’s where they really need to publicise goals conceded. How can we judge a defender if we’ve got no idea how many goals his opponents have kicked?? Surely that should be the starting point to judge a defender ?

He shouldn't be near the team on form. He's been so so in plenty of games and downright awful in others. Gave away goals on Saturday night again through absolute howlers.

Will get picked though. Nothing surer.

Sicily Weitering Wilkie
Sinclair Moore N.Daicos
J.Daicos Neale Gulden
Greene Walker Rozee
Larkey Curnow C.Cameron
Marshall Bontempelli Butters

Petracca Dawson Serong Langford

I'd be pretty bloody happy with this team, outside of another pressure forward it would be a team that would actually work as a 22 instead of the 20 midfielder abominations we normally see each year

But that’s where they really need to publicise goals conceded. How can we judge a defender if we’ve got no idea how many goals his opponents have kicked?? Surely that should be the starting point to judge a defender ?
A lot of defence is structure, zoning and upfield pressure. One of the reasons we don't see a lot of 100-goal full forwards these days is because it is rare for a Key forward to get involved a one-on-one contest. Back in the Good Ol' Days (copyright) the poor old full back would look up, see the ball coming in fast, look across at Peter Hudson or Doug Wade or Peter McKenna and realise the nearest teammate to help was 30 yards away.

Since then, things have changed, and we now have floaters, intercepters, quarterbacks etc who all play in the overall defence. It doesn't matter who the nearest player is to the opponent who kicks the goal - what matters is the total number of goals the opposition kick. If it's less than what your guys kicked - job done.

James Sicily v Tom Stewart 2022:

Sicily 130 more disposals
65 more marks
50 more contested possessions
24 more contested marks
90 more one percenters
4,500 more metres gained
25 more intercepts
80 more rebound 50’s
55 coaches votes to 38

So of course if you want to analyse ‘totals’ then players who’ve missed a few games would never get selected. But this isn’t what happens.

Sicily got massively stitched up last year though. He was the biggest miss.

The big difference is Geelong were top of the ladder, hawks near the bottom. That should count against Dusty as well this year.

That’s true. Stewart has had a season a bit like Luke Ryan. Just feels they’ve got plenty of the ball but haven’t defended overly well. The Geelong defence has certainly been very feeble this season.

Not sure it's a great metric with team defences nowadays

Sicily Weitering Wilkie
Sinclair Moore N.Daicos
J.Daicos Neale Gulden
Greene Walker Rozee
Larkey Curnow C.Cameron
Marshall Bontempelli Butters

Petracca Dawson Serong Langford

I'd be pretty bloody happy with this team, outside of another pressure forward it would be a team that would actually work as a 22 instead of the 20 midfielder abominations we normally see each year

Langford will be lucky to be in the squad. Lets assume Merrett is there at least in the squad, Nic Matin probably, getting 3 from Essendon seems overkill. I know Carlton did last year but they were in the 8 every week bar one.

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back