Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep I absolutely agree on that point. I hope they keep their run going.

Get the easiest away game, they will kick themselves not getting a home final with the Blues not caring yesterday though

Martin plays 80% forward and has possession stats not seen in a forward in 18 years and you want to put Larkey , Walker and Curnow in?
ain’t no way. All I have heard from Richmond fans for years and years is how much disposals and possessions are useless stats and mean nothing. It’s all about impact. But now we want to leave our players with more score involvements and goals because Dusty has more touches.

My main interest for the AA ceremony on Wednesday Evening is seeing how Drunk Robbo gets again ! Free entertainment on a night that is usually so slow and boring !!!

Drunk Robbo is more coherent than sober Robbo

Weitering >> Andrews

Weitering has better averages for almost everything relevant to defenders including disposals and intercept marks.

The only thing Andrews leads in is spoils. This is because Weitering just marks it anyway and doesn't need to spoil.
Weitering averages 0.8 more disposals, but at a lower efficiency and has less effective disposals, more turnovers and clangers. Less score involvements from his disposals too.

Andrews averages more intercepts and significantly more one percenters.

Not sure how you have come to your conclusion of Weitering>>Andrews

How do we know that? Not sure we have ever seen sober Robbo.

It existing is just a myth like big foot.

Should be forced to have 10 beers before the ceremony

the arguments for picking dusty are funny to me because if he’s picked as a pure forward he’s behind a fair chunk of players who likely won’t be picked (specifically charlie cameron & kyle langford, as the committee need to select their quota of midfielders in the forward line) & he’s behind plenty of midfield talent playing for a bottom 10 side, same as players like caleb serong or jai newcombe, who’ve had fantastic seasons but are with middling sides.

if he’d played as one or the other predominantly he’d probably be a chance but if they wanted to pick someone who provides a lot of goal
opportunities they’d give it to miers (realistically) as he broke akermanis’ record of most assists in a season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squad outs: Isaac Quaynor, Adam Cerra
Squad ins: Nick Blakey, Stephen Coniglio

DEF: Harris Andrews, Jacob Weitering, Nic Newman, Darcy Moore, Nick Daicos, Tom Stewart, Charlie Ballard, James Sicily, Dan Houston, Jack Sinclair, Callum Wilkie, Nick Blakey
MID: Jordan Dawson, Rory Laird, Lachie Neale, Josh Daicos, Zach Merrett, Caleb Serong, Noah Anderson, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio, Jai Newcombe, Christian Petracca, Connor Rozee, Zak Butters, Tim Taranto, Errol Gulden, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
RUC: Max Gawn, Rowan Marshall, Tim English
FWD: Taylor Walker, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Charlie Curnow, Kyle Langford, Jeremy Cameron, Tom Hawkins, Toby Greene, Luke Breust, Nick Larkey, Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton

Team outs: Jeremy Cameron
Team ins: Lachie Neale

Team:
B: Callum Wilkie - Jacob Weitering - James Sicily
HB: Nick Daicos - Darcy Moore - Jack Sinclair
C: Errol Gulden - Zak Butters - Zach Merrett
HF: Christian Petracca - Taylor Walker - Toby Greene
F: Charlie Cameron - Charlie Curnow - Kyle Langford
R: Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Connor Rozee
I: Tim Taranto - Jordan Dawson - Lachie Neale - Tom Stewart

Second team:
B: Nic Newman - Harris Andrews - Nick Blakey
HB: Jai Newcombe - Charlie Ballard - Dan Houston
C: Josh Daicos - Tom Green - Noah Anderson
HF: Dustin Martin - Jeremy Cameron - Shai Bolton
F: Joe Daniher - Nick Larkey - Luke Breust
R: Rowan Marshall - Caleb Serong - Tom Liberatore
I: Rory Laird - Max Gawn - Stephen Coniglio - Tom Hawkins
Going to basically ditch what was previously my own side based on my opinions and viewings, and replace with what I consider to be an actual prediction of what the panellists put together. Probably only a couple of changes to my squad and team.

There's always a couple of real stiff players to generate discussion, and always some surprise packets.

My squad of 44 prediction:
DEF: Harris Andrews, Jacob Weitering, Nic Newman, Darcy Moore, Nick Daicos, Isaac Quaynor, Tom Stewart, Jack Buckley, James Sicily, Dan Houston, Jack Sinclair, Callum Wilkie
MID: Jordan Dawson, Rory Laird, Lachie Neale, Josh Daicos, Zach Merrett, Caleb Serong, Noah Anderson, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio, Jai Newcombe, Christian Petracca, Jack Viney, Connor Rozee, Zak Butters, Tim Taranto, Errol Gulden, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
RUC: Max Gawn, Rowan Marshall, Tim English
FWD: Taylor Walker, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Charlie Curnow, Kyle Langford, Jeremy Cameron, Gryan Miers, Toby Greene, Nick Larkey, Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton

Surprise packet tips: Jack Buckley, Jai Newcombe, Gryan Miers, Isaac Quaynor
Stiff to miss tips: Tom Hawkins, Luke Breust, Harry Sheezel, Aliir Aliir

Team prediction:
B: Callum Wilkie - Jacob Weitering - James Sicily
HB: Nick Daicos - Darcy Moore - Jack Sinclair
C: Josh Daicos - Zak Butters - Errol Gulden
HF: Christian Petracca - Taylor Walker - Toby Greene
F: Charlie Cameron - Charlie Curnow - Nick Larkey
R: Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Jordan Dawson
I: Caleb Serong - Connor Rozee - Lachie Neale - Tim Taranto

Much to the dismay of many, I predict the bench to be all midfielders with so many great players in contention. Richmond fans will celebrate one selection with Taranto holding on, while Tom Stewart misses and Geelong don't have any. The side will feature two genuine wingers with Josh Daicos benefitting from the media hype and playing for the minor premier. I would argue he hasn't been top 15 for the year when grouping wingers in with all midfielders. Essendon fans will be the filthiest when the deserving Zach Merrett is squeezed out by Serong, while Langford is arguably the stiffest of all. Just historically, mid-sized forwards don't usually fare well come AA time. Gunston put up Langford's numbers for years but only made one side. Andrew Walker couldn't crack it the year he had 72 goal involvements. I want him to make it, but it's a gut feel he won't.

Not going to quote the whole thing but adammania9 I like that squad actually. Quanor is the selection I do like, I'd have Cognilo close to the team personally. Not sure how Bolton is anywhere near a top 44 probably the only one that sticks out a bit there but there's always a couple of weird ones so you may be correct.

Weitering averages 0.8 more disposals, but at a lower efficiency and has less effective disposals, more turnovers and clangers. Less score involvements from his disposals too.

Of the relevant stats for a key defender.

Weitering:
-More disposals
-More marks, more contested marks
-More rebound 50s
-More metres gained

Andrews:
-More spoils/one percenters

The 'stats' you mention are disingenuous or exaggerated, claiming 0.1 differences as wins.
-Weitering averages 0.1 more clangers per game, but given he has more disposals Andrews is more prone to a clanger per possession.
-Andrews handballs it much more than Weiters so you'd hope he's turning it over less.

Not going to quote the whole thing but adammania9 I like that squad actually. Quanor is the selection I do like, I'd have Cognilo close to the team personally. Not sure how Bolton is anywhere near a top 44 probably the only one that sticks out a bit there but there's always a couple of weird ones so you may be correct.
Bolton has had another very good year. 500 disposals and 31 goals, consistently high CP numbers, inside 50's and clearances.

Statistically they have been very similar. I don't think you can split them statistically. It's marginal and depends on which stats you place priority on.

The reason I have Weitering ahead is he plays on the best key forward every week. Jack Payne has been doing that job more often for Brisbane. Thats not a criticism of Andrews but if they are line ball statiscally thats the decider for me since we are selecting an AA fullback (I watch nearly every Brisbane game).

Also, maybe it shouldn't matter but Weitering has been close to the unluckiest man out of the side the last 3 years. Lost a 50/50 call against Moore in 2020 and Allir 2021 (mainly due to the blues ladder position). Last year he was a lock before getting injured. Given alot of selectors are the same I wonder if that influences them. Discussing the same guy again and making a tight call against him would be brutal (though not unheard of as you would know with McLuggage).

Bolton has had another very good year. 500 disposals and 31 goals, consistently high CP numbers, inside 50's and clearances.

Love to know the breakdown in those though, seems he's one of the bigger flat track bullies. If we pick a Tigers one, Martin has been better in that role

The more I think about it, the more as a Pies supporter I'd prefer Quaynor making it over Moore. He's arguably been the best small one on one defender in the comp and his attacking moves are nearly more effective. He won't make it but hope he gets in the squad

The more I think about it, the more as a Pies supporter I'd prefer Quaynor making it over Moore. He's arguably been the best small one on one defender in the comp and his attacking moves are nearly more effective. He won't make it but hope he gets in the squad
Why is your listed team WC?

Love to know the breakdown in those though, seems he's one of the bigger flat track bullies. If we pick a Tigers one, Martin has been better in that role
11 goals and 13 assists against top 8 sides for Bolton; 9 goals and 7 assists against top 8 sides for Martin.

SI breakdown

Bolton: 31 goals, 19 assists, 29 behinds and 82 other score involvements
Martin: 25 goals, 15 assists, 22 behinds and 92 other score involvements

Stats breakdown

Bolton has more disposals, effective kicks/disposals, clearances, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, intercept possessions, intercept marks, ground ball gets, tackles, pressure acts, inside 50s, rebound 50s, total score involvements and higher disposal efficiency.

Martin has more marks, contested marks and F50 ground ball gets.

a lockdown small defender making it? nah mate the backline in the AA is just talls or half backs that push into the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back