My draft until I change my mind:
Stocker Weitering Williams
McGovern Young Saad
Cerra Docherty Walsh
Martin McKay Cuningham
Motlop Curnow Kennedy
TDK Cripps Hewett
Pittonet/SOS, Cotterell, Durdin, Setterfield EMG Kemp

Biggest challenge is ruckmen - do we play 2 genuine rucks, or a genuine ruck with a backup/alternate hence why I have Pitto and SOS

Kennedy rotates mid and 3rd tall if we play a 2 ruckman structure. I see Kemp as the perfect emergency player as he has versatility

Last edited:
I don't think Fisher is in our future 22 either.
Hope he's on a low salary, for the club to contract him until 2025.

It's a fine line

Had an improved year and probably remains best 22
plays a role.

I know this is a hypothetical everyone is fit type thread, but well, you know…

is going to fit in that 23-28 place on the list and will play more often than not.

plays a role.

I know this is a hypothetical everyone is fit type thread, but well, you know…

is going to fit in that 23-28 place on the list and will play more often than not.
There’s a few like Motlop, Cottrell, Fisher, Pitto, TDK, Stocker, Boyd, Durdin, JSOS who I wouldn’t argue against being in peoples best 22 but all could easily be replaced next year. Not that they are crap but they are your bottom players who you would hope improve or are improved on.

Boyd is getting a bit of love. For mine, if he can’t defend which on exposed form he can’t then I can’t see him in front of the other creative defenders in Saad, Docherty and Williams. Maybe has Newman covered going forward. I see Boyd as squad depth In 2023.

Also Prefer Stocker for physicality given our current small defenders.

my team only has one real experiment and I’m not even wedded to it. I’d just like to see it tried more than anything. I’d like to see TDK trialled in Youngs position. See who comes out best. Young is better interceptor. I feel TDK is more combative and I don’t like him forward.

Williams, Weitering, Marchbank
Docherty TDK (Young) Saad

Walsh Cripps ?
Pitto Hewett Cerra

JSoS McKay Martin
Durdin Curnow Motlop

Kennedy, Stocker, Fisher, McGovern

Midfield rotation to include Walsh, Kennedy, Docherty and Fisher. Fisher only in right circumstances.

Avoid playing 3 smalls forwards (applies to Motlop, Durdin , Owies, Fisher) at same time to avoid being smash in contested marking and rebound footy.

I don’t care between Young and tDK. TDK wasn’t great forward in 2022. Maybe more focus and more preseason helps. I think Marchbank shows his stuff in 2023 Lever style.

Selections aside, it’s more about roles and transition.

I think there are 8 decent all Australian squad candidates. Maybe even 2 more on our list. It’s crazy.

Im leaving wing open. I like Cerra as the attacking mid too. Can kick straight from outside 50. Is a better kick than Cripps, Hewett or Walsh.

Here's my go:

Backs: Newman Weitering Marchbank
CHB: Docherty Young Saad
C: O'brien Cripps Walsh
CHF: Jsos Curnow Martin
FF: Durdin McKay Motlop
R: TDK, Hewitt, Cerra
Int: Kennedy, Williams, Fisher, McGovern
Emerg: Setterfield, Kemp, Stocker, Pittonett

Christ this is frustrating. That is a top 4 team in my eyes, looking at it now after this year really ****ing hurts. We better bring the pain next year.

Boyd Weitering Gov
Saad Marchbank Doc
Walsh Cripps Williams
Kemp Curnow Martin
Durdin McKay Motlop
TDK Hewett Cerra

Kennedy young cottrell fisher

Carroll cuningham sos stocker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ll wait till after the draft/trade period to name my preferred team, but for now, the comments I have are:

1. Defensive transition / setup needs to get much, much better to have any hope of challenging the good teams. This means the midfield mix may have to change

2. Small forwards & wingers - need to get much, much better. Can’t have entire positional deficiencies and expect to get far in September

3. We have 1 tap ruckman who can’t play forward, 1 young ruckman who isn’t great at tapping or forward craft, 1 third tall who’s being used as a ruckman, and 1 who hasn’t played a senior game - won’t get anywhere without dramatic improvement

4. Small lockdown defender - an absolute requirement

Stocker Young Marchbank
Williams Weitering Saad
Docherty Cripps Cerra
Fisher Curnow Martin
JSoS McKay Durdin
Pittonet Kennedy Walsh
Motlop Hewett Newman DeKoning

Setterfield O’Brien Plowman Owies
Carroll Cuningham McGovern Kemp
Honey Cottrell Newnes Boyd Philp Mirkov

This is the list I expect will be intact into 2023.
My interchange consists of Voss’s team balance more than anything else.
Others are based on my subsequent call ups in group order depending on requirements.
I expect Dow will be traded which will make me sad but I feel it’s best for the boy. Hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Back 7:
Weiters Young McGovern Boyd Williams Saad Marchy

Mid 7:
Cripps Doc Walsh Setters Hewett Cerra Cotts (replaced by Acres if we get him)

Pitto ruck

Forward 7:
McKay Charlie Kemp (liking what I am seeing across half forward) Martin Motlop Honey Fisher

Sincere apologies to Kennedy (sub) and TDk (get fitter and you are ruck).

B: McGovern Young Saad
HB: Docherty Weitering Williams
C: O'Brien Cripps Acres
HF: Walsh Curnow Martin
F: Silvagni McKay Motlop
OB: Pittonet Hewett Cerra
IC: Kennedy Fisher Durdin Newman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a few like Motlop, Cottrell, Fisher, Pitto, TDK, Stocker, Boyd, Durdin, JSOS who I wouldn’t argue against being in peoples best 22 but all could easily be replaced next year. Not that they are crap but they are your bottom players who you would hope improve or are improved on.
Would leave Motlop off that list. 19 odd, first year in and looks a jet in the making. TDK will continue to develop still a year or two away from taking a decision. As for the rest interesting to see how the cookie crumbles next season. It is that cohort that is our biggest issue.

Would leave Motlop off that list. 19 odd, first year in and looks a jet in the making. TDK will continue to develop still a year or two away from taking a decision. As for the rest interesting to see how the cookie crumbles next season. It is that cohort that is our biggest issue.
I’m more going just on this seasons form. If Motlop and TDK don’t improve then they aren’t up to it. I fully expect they will and have both in my best 22. Durdin is another I rate ridiculously high for someone who wasn’t quite upto it this year.

Very early to nail this down without having a trade or draft period, but we can focus on the players we have on our list to start building a consensus

Boyd Wetering Williams
Marchbank Durdin Saad

TDK Hewett Doc
Cottrell Cripps Walsh

Gov Young C Curnow
Mots Harry Durdin

Int: Newman Kennedy Cerra Martin

Emg: Kemp Carroll Fisher Jsos

Still in the mix, Pitto LOB, Setters, Stocker, Owies, Cuners, Honey. The rest of the players would at this stage be injury depth

Made some changes to roles, as I prefer to play both Young and TDK in the ruck, so have included Durdin as a KPD. Need more agility so would leave Doc in the guts. I feel that we are too reliant on Harry and Charlie, so have added Gov inside 50 and included Martin as the 7th forward

No doubt this will change after trade/draft period, and again once some preseason games kick off
That is a very tall forward line. How are you dealing with the 4 different aerial threats up forward not getting in each other's way and the issues we had with rebounding HBF's this year?

Marchbank, Weitering, McGovern
Williams, Young, Saad
Walsh, Cripps, Docherty
Fisher, C. Curnow, Martin
Silvagni, McKay, Durdin

F: Pittonet, Cerra, Hewett

INT: Kennedy, Cuningham, Motlop, Cottrell
EMG: Motlop, Newman, Kemp, Stocker

What he does with the ball is fine for a wing, but I don't think he has the fitness, the game read or the ability to find the ball you need to play the wing at AFL level.

Down back, Saad, Williams, Boyd gives us run, Newman gives us that dissecting kick to break open zones

Forward line, all those players have good agility and or speed, but better balance of marking options, not solely pressure

Down back, Saad, Williams, Boyd gives us run, Newman gives us that dissecting kick to break open zones

Forward line, all those players have good agility and or speed, but better balance of marking options, not solely pressure
That's kind of my problem, though. You have 4 marking options down there, but while they - especially Gov and Charlie, but Harry and Young as well - have good to exceptional speed and agility, it's for their height not in general.

On one hand, running that front 6 would see undersized backlines exposed if we can keep those talls organised, but on the other if we can't or our opposition can cover two to four talls that leaves exiting our front half much easier than if we had three small/mediums (in terms of playstyle instead of size) seeing to apply pressure at the balldrop. This problem is further exacerbated by the slow speed of our mids and the lack of pressure from the wings; if we had more prolific tacklers as wings or genuinely brilliant pockets up forward, I'd be more on board.

Think the improvement comes from improved consistency between Durdin and Motlop, and improved transition and defensive running from the forward flanks/wings to prevent us getting so exposed by turnover or from kickin.

That's kind of my problem, though. You have 4 marking options down there, but while they - especially Gov and Charlie, but Harry and Young as well - have good to exceptional speed and agility, it's for their height not in general.

On one hand, running that front 6 would see undersized backlines exposed if we can keep those talls organised, but on the other if we can't or our opposition can cover two to four talls that leaves exiting our front half much easier than if we had three small/mediums (in terms of playstyle instead of size) seeing to apply pressure at the balldrop. This problem is further exacerbated by the slow speed of our mids and the lack of pressure from the wings; if we had more prolific tacklers as wings or genuinely brilliant pockets up forward, I'd be more on board.

Think the improvement comes from improved consistency between Durdin and Motlop, and improved transition and defensive running from the forward flanks/wings to prevent us getting so exposed by turnover or from kickin.

Durdin and Motlop are in that forward line. Martin is still quick, agile but can take a grab or crumb. Gov would probably be our quickest option of that front 7

Durdin and Motlop are in that forward line. Martin is still quick, agile but can take a grab or crumb. Gov would probably be our quickest option of that front 7
Gov (2.1 tackles per match, 1.9 this season) is absolutely fast, and Martin (3.4 tackles per match, 2.6 this season and trending down over his career) can absolutel lay a tackle but to day none of the four of them average more than 2.6 tackles a game; Durdin averages 2.3 tackles per game, and Motlop 2.4, and while I'd expect them to improve you're asking both of them to improve by 4+ tackles a game to reach a reasonable, AFL average level.

Adding Young (1.4, 1.5 this year), Harry (1.5, 1.3 this year) and Charlie (2.0, 1.6 this year) to the picture and you've got a forward six that averages 15.1 tackles per match based on career averages. There are other ways of producing pressure sure, but just over 15 tackles a game is leaving an awful lot of work to midfield and defense.

It's a thought provoking idea certainly, but the trend in AFL is moving towards more forward pressure at present. I appreciate zigging when everyone else is zagging, but I'd prefer a forward line that is more likely to prevent the easy exit and getting scorched on turnover or kickin.

Gov (2.1 tackles per match, 1.9 this season) is absolutely fast, and Martin (3.4 tackles per match, 2.6 this season and trending down over his career) can absolutel lay a tackle but to day none of the four of them average more than 2.6 tackles a game; Durdin averages 2.3 tackles per game, and Motlop 2.4, and while I'd expect them to improve you're asking both of them to improve by 4+ tackles a game to reach a reasonable, AFL average level.

Adding Young (1.4, 1.5 this year), Harry (1.5, 1.3 this year) and Charlie (2.0, 1.6 this year) to the picture and you've got a forward six that averages 15.1 tackles per match based on career averages. There are other ways of producing pressure sure, but just over 15 tackles a game is leaving an awful lot of work to midfield and defense.

It's a thought provoking idea certainly, but the trend in AFL is moving towards more forward pressure at present. I appreciate zigging when everyone else is zagging, but I'd prefer a forward line that is more likely to prevent the easy exit and getting scorched on turnover or kickin.

Our numbers this year for tackles inside 50, rate 5th, better than the Pies, Cats, Dogs, Lions, Tigers. Demons, Swans, Dockers are within 1/2 a tackle above us

Not looking for more tackles as the priority, looking for a more dangerous unit inside forward 50, given we rank outside the top 8 for inside 50 efficiency

Last edited:
Very early to nail this down without having a trade or draft period, but we can focus on the players we have on our list to start building a consensus

Boyd Wetering Williams
Marchbank Durdin Saad

TDK Hewett Doc
Cottrell Cripps Walsh

Gov Young C Curnow
Mots Harry Durdin

Int: Newman Kennedy Cerra Martin

Emg: Kemp Carroll Fisher Jsos

Still in the mix, Pitto LOB, Setters, Stocker, Owies, Cuners, Honey. The rest of the players would at this stage be injury depth

Made some changes to roles, as I prefer to play both Young and TDK in the ruck, so have included Durdin as a KPD. Need more agility so would leave Doc in the guts. I feel that we are too reliant on Harry and Charlie, so have added Gov inside 50 and included Martin as the 7th forward

No doubt this will change after trade/draft period, and again once some preseason games kick off
I like the idea of Young in the ruck. gives us a good marking option around the ground also

Our numbers this year for tackles inside 50, rate 5th, better than the Pies, Cats, Dogs, Lions, Tigers. Demons, Swans, Dockers are within 1/2 a tackle above us

Not looking for more tackles as the priority, looking for a more dangerous unit inside forward 50, given we rank outside the top 8 for inside 50 efficiency
Would you say the inside 50 efficiency fell away after the bye? Or Ill ask it another way, do you know what we were ranked before the bye for inside 50 efficiency?

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2023 - Best 22 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back