Prediction 2023 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We wouldnt, one of Tabs or Amiss is playing at Peel.

IF Tabs could stay on the park I'd argue losing Lobb is fine, but he cant, so it's not

The same applies to Logue. If you could guarantee 40 games each over the next 2 years from Cox and Pearce then Logue's no great loss.

Rinse and repeat for Meek. If Meek gets traded up the road he'll be one of their better players and if Darcy or Jackson get injured can you imagine the drama on 6pr.......

If Fyfe, Jackson and Taberner are fit and playing forward one of Sturt/Amiss misses out IMO. It's too tall. Even if Fyfe returns to the midfield I can't see Jackson, Taberner, Amiss and Sturt in the same forward line.
While I placed Fyfe at HFF, I'd see him playing more midfield next year to replace Mundy with Shultz to give that extra small option.

2 talls, 2 smalls, 1 med (Sturt) and 1 Ruck/FWD is a good balance IMO

If Fyfe, Jackson and Taberner are fit and playing forward one of Sturt/Amiss misses out IMO. It's too tall. Even if Fyfe returns to the midfield I can't see Jackson, Taberner, Amiss and Sturt in the same forward line.

Reid, McDonald, Franklin, Hayward ... pretty similar physically to Jackson, Tabs, Amiss and Sturt. Then Heeney/Fyfe is another similarity, although Heeney is shorter/quicker.

Our issue is on the other side of the spectrum, as we play too many small forwards. No other side plays 4 like we do. Geelong have 3, and the other good sides are all at 2 or even 1.

The most common sense move is to push AB to the wing, allow Fyfe to return to the inside, let Serong/Brodie and Fyfe hunt.

AB's main weapon is his tank, let him blow up players that way, he's not particularly strong in tight and doesn't really walk through stoppages.

Acres to Brayshaw is an upgrade on a Wing, with Fyfe back in the middle, with a full pre-season under his belt could actually see us improve through the middle.

Mundy will be a big loss.

The most common sense move is to push AB to the wing, allow Fyfe to return to the inside, let Serong/Brodie and Fyfe hunt.

AB's main weapon is his tank, let him blow up players that way, he's not particularly strong in tight and doesn't really walk through stoppages.

Acres to Brayshaw is an upgrade on a Wing, with Fyfe back in the middle, with a full pre-season under his belt could actually see us improve through the middle.

Mundy will be a big loss.
Brayshaw just got top 5 in the Brownlow & won the players player award. Why would you change his role to a defensive stoppage wingman.

All I know for sure is that Raz will be best 22 next year if fit with a full preseason, the way he put Peel on his back with 2 goals and a goal assist playing midfield against the breeze forcing Claremont to chuck a tag on him was a sight to behold, Johnno probably needs to work on his body but not worried about his quality. Last years draft looking like another belter for us.

He doesn't have to be a defensive wingman, but he's no inside bull, nor is he an elite clearance player.

I see him flourishing more in a Sidebottom role, with stints onball.
Neither was Mundy & Bradshaw plays a similar role to Mundy as anyone in our mid rotation & you want to take him out after saying Mundy will be a big loss.
Not everyone around the contest has to win their own ball on every occasion particularly with Brodie, Serong & probably Fyfe coming into the mix next season as the contested ball winners.
Andy’s spread from the contest is what makes him valuable as he works to receive around the contest. Losing him & Mundy from around stoppages would be awful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither was Mundy & Bradshaw plays a similar role to Mundy as anyone in our mid rotation & you want to take him out after saying Mundy will be a big loss.
Not everyone around the contest has to win their own ball on every occasion particularly with Brodie, Serong & probably Fyfe coming into the mix next season as the contested ball winners.
Andy’s spread from the contest is what makes him valuable as he works to receive around the contest. Losing him & Mundy from around stoppages would be awful.

Mundy was an elite clearance player and a contested possession beast.

I'm saying Fyfe slots back into the starting onball brigade with Serong/Brodie, Brayshaw sits out on a wing.

Brayshaw rolls into the middle when any of those three need a breather. Make sense?

Brayshaw will be in the guts no doubt.
I reckon Erasmus after a big pre-season and more gym work will be in our midfield as well.
Something about him, he's tough and is not scared of contact.
Get more strength in to him, and he could be a top midfielder imo

Mundy was an elite clearance player and a contested possession beast.

I'm saying Fyfe slots back into the starting onball brigade with Serong/Brodie, Brayshaw sits out on a wing.

Brayshaw rolls into the middle when any of those three need a breather. Make sense?
Mundy has never had a season where he has had more CP than UP. He could certainly win more of his own ball if needed as could Brayshaw, but it has never been their role. It appears you want all contested players at the stoppage with no one to receive on the outside, WC beat us regularly recently because we had no idea how to spread & got sucked into the contest. It was embarrassing.
Brayshaw gives the spread around the contest as did Mundy, you don’t have that you just give back to the opposition with shit clearences.
No it doesn’t make sense to take our best performed mid this season out of the rotation & put him on the wing.

Mundy has never had a season where he has had more CP than UP. He could certainly win more of his own ball if needed as could Brayshaw, but it has never been their role. It appears you want all contested players at the stoppage with no one to receive on the outside, WC beat us regularly recently because we had no idea how to spread & got sucked into the contest. It was embarrassing.
Brayshaw gives the spread around the contest as did Mundy, you don’t have that you just give back to the opposition with s**t clearences.
No it doesn’t make sense to take our best performed mid this season out of the rotation & put him on the wing.

I can't see where I ever intimated Mundy's contested possession rate was higher than his uncontested numbers. News to me.

I don't want all players as bees to the honey pot, but if you are going to start in the centre square, I'd prefer to have players that can hold their own if the tap isn't placed in the lap of preferred first possession players.

This is where I struggle with justifying Brayshaw as a lock and starting centre clearance player.

I felt we were bullied in both finals this year, with Collingwood in particular brushing aside Brayshaw and Serong too easily - Degoey and Crisp cut us to pieces in the centre and too easily broke from stoppage.

Players in that position don't always have to win the ball, but they need to be capable of halving contests and I'm not sure that plays well with AB's skillset presently.

If no one (Jackson) comes in and we lose Lobb, Logue, Acres, Meek, and Tucker.
Johnson, Worner , Benning, Western, Kuek all young guns (fingers crossed)
Crowden, Tabs, Hamling, Wilson, Hughes, Colyer and Banners all solid back up
BRyan (109)Pearce (84)Clark (56)
HBChapman (23)Cox (82)Young (35)
CO'Driscoll (12)Fyfe (209)Aish (143)
HFSchultz (67)Tracey (19)Switta (46)
FWalters (202)Amiss (3)Freddy (39)
RDarcy (83)Brayshaw (100)Serong (58)
INTWalker (31)Erasmus (5)
Brodie (49)Sturt (4)
SUBHenry (27)

I can't see where I ever intimated Mundy's contested possession rate was higher than his uncontested numbers. News to me.

I don't want all players as bees to the honey pot, but if you are going to start in the centre square, I'd prefer to have players that can hold their own if the tap isn't placed in the lap of preferred first possession players.

This is where I struggle with justifying Brayshaw as a lock and starting centre clearance player.

I felt we were bullied in both finals this year, with Collingwood in particular brushing aside Brayshaw and Serong too easily - Degoey and Crisp cut us to pieces in the centre and too easily broke from stoppage.

Players in that position don't always have to win the ball, but they need to be capable of halving contests and I'm not sure that plays well with AB's skillset presently.
Suggesting Mundy was an elite clearance player & a CP beast you would assume that over his career he had a number of years where his CP numbers were greater than his UP numbers.
Andy has no issue winning his own ball, but again it’s not his role. Additionally there will be individual games where we may get beaten around the stoppage, but in the whole this season, without Fyfe which could not be planned for, we did ok around the contest.
You would also expect even better results with Brodie being here for another preseason, Fyfe finding his feet again & Serong & Brayshaw getting stronger. Not to mention our younger players who will start to transition through there.

62A871D5-4C07-4D5E-937F-E36A17B59AB1.png

Yeah, I'm not sure you're quite grasping my points here.

Brayshaw, for me, doesn't work in the middle at the center clearance, if you're a designated receiver, that's fine - but too often I think he he is bullied, brushed aside and the opposition are able to waltz from the middle.

There are some players who fight, scrap and break even.

Additionally, if you are going to have a receiver position, why not utilise someone with genuine leg speed who can run through congestion?

My personal opinion, Andy's in there because we want him to be the complete mid, he's just not, and IMO, is better served blowing up opponents outside the square.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm not sure you're quite grasping my points here.

Brayshaw, for me, doesn't work in the middle at the center clearance, if you're a designated receiver, that's fine - but too often I think he he is bullied, brushed aside and the opposition are able to waltz from the middle.

There are some players who fight, scrap and break even.

Additionally, if you are going to have a receiver position, why not utilise someone with genuine leg speed who can run through congestion?

My personal opinion, Andy's in there because we want him to be the complete mid, he's just not, and IMO, is better served blowing up opponents outside the square.

Hope he proves me wrong.
That’s why we have Fyfe and Brodie. Erasmus waiting in the wings. That’s just not Andy’s role.

If no one (Jackson) comes in and we lose Lobb, Logue, Acres, Meek, and Tucker.
Johnson, Worner , Benning, Western, Kuek all young guns (fingers crossed)
Crowden, Tabs, Hamling, Wilson, Hughes, Colyer and Banners all solid back up
BRyan (109)Pearce (84)Clark (56)
HBChapman (23)Cox (82)Young (35)
CO'Driscoll (12)Fyfe (209)Aish (143)
HFSchultz (67)Tracey (19)Switta (46)
FWalters (202)Amiss (3)Freddy (39)
RDarcy (83)Brayshaw (100)Serong (58)
INTWalker (31)Erasmus (5)
Brodie (49)Sturt (4)
SUBHenry (27)

lol

F: RYAN, PEARCE, AISH
HB: *YOUNG, *COX, *CLARK
C: *CHAPMAN, *BRAYSHAW, *O'DRISCOLL
HF: *FREDERICK, TABERNER, FYFE
F: *SCHULTZ, *AMISS, SWITKOWSKI

R/R: *DARCY, *SERONG, *JACKSON

I/C FROM: *BRODIE, WALTERS, *ERASMUS, *JOHNSON, *STURT, *TREACY, *WALKER

*25 yo or younger
18 of 25 I've named are 25 yo or younger.
Excluded Lobb, Logue, Acres who are all 95% goneski
x could potentially add *SHARP & CORBETT (as is rumoured)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2023 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back