Opinion 2023 captain

Who should be our captain next year onwards?

• Simpkin

Votes: 139 50.7%
  • McDonald

Votes: 58 21.2%
  • Ziebell

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • LDU

Votes: 51 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 22 8.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats to both Jy and Luke. Not a huge fan of Co-Captains, but I think it could be a good idea with such a young team, so happy to go with Clarko on this.

Must be a massive moment for Luke and the McDonald clan, he was born wearing a Royal Blue & White Vertical Striped jersey, so to now lead the club must be one of his proudest days. I wish him, and Jy, all the best.

Co Captains? What? May as well bring back Dani Laidleys and have her Co Coach with Clarkson. Whilst we are at it why not bring back Euge to Co CEO with Shannon’s Mom and disinter Ron Casey and Co President with Hood. This reeks of not being able to work out which hand to wipe your arse with. :stern look

I said Captain. I said wot. I said Co-Captain. I said what ya on?

Not a fan of the co-captain, yet with Jy & Luke I am warming to the idea.
I saw a Captain Sensible beer at a pub a while back and was keen to have one til I realised it was a light.

Couple of old fashioned types who can’t accept new traditions around here. My choice would have been Jy outright if anyone cared to ask me, but can’t go wrong having someone who loves the club as much as LMac by his side.

Old fashioned?

Well as long as they are both communicating exceptionally between themselves and the Coach all is good, but you will see grumpy old as soon as there is any fragmenting of message or task.

So far I’m seeing a lot of emotional pleas for adhering to the times of this recent trend of co-captaincies and yet have not seen any solid evidence to suggest that the system fares any better and fails to recognize it for what it often is utilized for; a stop-gap that usually very poor teams use until a more suitable singular candidate is chosen. It’s a blight on the history of illustrious captains this club has chosen to end up in a position where the duties of leadership development have failed to produce a player who is ready & can lead the bottom team out of this hole and split the duties between something a captain should possess all of in a singular manner.

As much as I have ragged on Ziebell, he brought leadership and fitness/training standards, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, and I shouldn’t be but I‘d rather him still be captain than this compromise of a decision on leadership. To me, it was very clear Jy should have been captain.

I’m not gonna be swayed on this, because the whole thing never made sense to begin with as a concept. I know why they did this, but I don’t have to like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far I’m seeing a lot of emotional pleas for adhering to the times of this recent trend of co-captaincies and yet have not seen any solid evidence to suggest that the system fares any better and fails to recognize it for what it often is utilized for; a stop-gap that usually very poor teams use until a more suitable singular candidate is chosen. It’s a blight on the history of illustrious captains this club has chosen to end up in a position where the duties of leadership development have failed to produce a player who is ready & can lead the bottom team out of this hole and split the duties between something a captain should possess all of in a singular manner.

As much as I have ragged on Ziebell, he brought leadership and fitness/training standards, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, and I shouldn’t be but I‘d rather him still be captain than this compromise of a decision on leadership. To me, it was very clear Jy should have been captain.

I’m not gonna be swayed on this, because the whole thing never made sense to begin with as a concept. I know why they did this, but I don’t have to like it.
Multiple players lead every team. Captain is just a ceremonial thing because somebody needs to undertake certain duties. We could have no captain and still have great leadership.

We’ve done SFA for 2 and half decades under 1 captain.

Don’t think having 2 is going to hold us back just quietly.
I agree, i think some are overthinking this announcement.

We are emerging from the mire and we have a very young list of highly talented players who are looking for strong role models. Two strong leaders with strong deputies surrounding them is a good model.

It might be for just one year. Let's calm the farm.

Like Ziebs before him, it was apparent early on that Jy was going to captain the club one day. Now that it’s official, who’s the next early contender? WillPhill? No other real stand outs amongst the young bunch at this stage?

Gee, there is a lot of negativity here about this decision. In my opinion the explanation from Todd Viney is ample reason why we should not go down a "getting your Knickers in a knot" pathway with this.

Both of these boys are very worthy recipients of the skipper role.

It strikes me also, that in a year when we really need to show some on field progress, rather than having the pressure of leadership on just one set of shoulders, which can sometimes lead to a drop in that player's performance when things are not going well, sharing the load, might make it easier for both of them to perform at the level we are used to.

Back