2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowd is so unpredictable. It could be up to 74k and lowest probably like 68k. I personally think it will be 69k.
General public sales are very good at the moment. Only issues are that q54-q55 at the back will be very sparse same with q34-q36. The bays that they have released in the afl reserve today are selling very nicely along with those 4 MCC bays that will be around half full. Member areas shouldn’t be that bad price probably around 70% full across both teams member seats. Q1-q10(rows k-DD) are the GA areas. General admission seems to be sold out but how much they sold is unknown. Doubt that they sold enough to fill all those seats up. I’d expect that it’s enough to fill it up to 75% but I could be wrong.

Probably the most unpredictable crowd of the season I’d say 72k will be the attendance but if anyone else has a different view I’d like to hear it.

Predictions for todays games:
Essendon vs west coast: 34k
Adelaide vs suns: 33k
Hawks vs pies: 70k
Geelong vs port: 20k
Giants vs Sydney: 12k

Giants vs Sydney should get close to 20k. Whilst it will be our first crowd over 10k in Giant stadium since our 2019 final, the club is stating in its communications that “a bumper sold out crowd is expected”

Got a feeling Bombers / Eagles will be short of 34K, based on pre sales. Ticket sales look similar to their Giants / Suns homers. These were 29k & 32k. Again it comes down to the walkup and how many can be bothered watching a snoozefest.

Hawks / Pies probably gets 70-74K.

Giants / Swans the interesting one for me. It would be wonderful if it got upwards of 15K. It deserves it. However, apparently no trains out west which will certainly impact the Swans turnip which is a pity.

Good crowd last night. It beat my late week expectations, probably in line with what I would’ve expected a week out though. So it gets a nice tick ✅.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats vs port is an interesting one. Somehow it’s not sold out yet but 19-21k should still be the range.
Giants swans I recon will get very close to 20k.
Rest of the games are quite unpredictable.

An interesting article from Caroline Wilson in todays AGE!

This is how anti AFL Sydney/Brisbane media are holding the game back when the AFL have to pay for coverages in the Murdoch rags!
I thought as ALL the AFL matches are on Foxtel it would be in their interests to cross promote the AFL through ALL their media outlets inc their Newspapers?
"The AFL has in recent months achieved a new deal with media partner News Corp, where Sydney’s Daily Telegraph and Brisbane’s Courier Mail have appointed a designated AFL journalist partly funded by the competition."

Sydney opening? Why Blues, Tigers may be bumped from first game​

Caroline Wilson

ByCaroline Wilson

August 5, 2023 — 5.00am

The AFL is considering a radical shift in the 2024 fixture with a proposal to launch the season at least one week early in Sydney in a bid to steal a march on the NRL.
The Swans and the Giants hosting a double-header, or hosting games on consecutive days over the weekend of March 8-10, is one of a series of initiatives to be put forward at the competition’s September AFL Commission talks. Carlton and Richmond, who have traditionally opened the season, would most likely clash at the MCG on Thursday, March 14, with the rest of the opening round to follow.
Carlton’s [PLAYERCARD]Tom De Koning[/PLAYERCARD] flies for the ball in the 2023 season-opening match against Richmond.

Carlton’s Tom De Koning flies for the ball in the 2023 season-opening match against Richmond.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Some senior AFL bosses are acknowledging a number of fixturing own goals in 2023 against the NRL in Sydney, which has gained further momentum in NSW since the birth of Greater Western Sydney, who still struggle to attract an audience. The move to open the season early ahead of the Carlton-Richmond game comes as the NRL is looking at launching its 2024 season in Las Vegas.
AFL CEO-elect Andrew Dillon confirmed the competition was looking at an early season launch in Sydney, which could involve both the Swans and the Giants hosting games. The two clubs remain in finals contention and face off at Giants Stadium on Saturday night.

Last edited:
Cats vs port is an interesting one. Somehow it’s not sold out yet but 19-21k should still be the range.
Giants swans I recon will get very close to 20k.
Rest of the games are quite unpredictable.
It is going to be interesting next season when the new stand is finished to see how many 40k sell outs Gelong get - I suspect not too many!

An interesting article from Caroline Wilson in todays AGE!

This is how anti AFL Sydney/Brisbane media are holding the game back when the AFL have to pay for coverages in the Murdoch rags!
I thought as ALL the AFL matches are on Foxtel it would be in their interests to cross promote the AFL through ALL their media outlets inc their Newspapers?
"The AFL has in recent months achieved a new deal with media partner News Corp, where Sydney’s Daily Telegraph and Brisbane’s Courier Mail have appointed a designated AFL journalist partly funded by the competition."

Sydney opening? Why Blues, Tigers may be bumped from first game​

Caroline Wilson

ByCaroline Wilson

August 5, 2023 — 5.00am

The AFL is considering a radical shift in the 2024 fixture with a proposal to launch the season at least one week early in Sydney in a bid to steal a march on the NRL.
The Swans and the Giants hosting a double-header, or hosting games on consecutive days over the weekend of March 8-10, is one of a series of initiatives to be put forward at the competition’s September AFL Commission talks. Carlton and Richmond, who have traditionally opened the season, would most likely clash at the MCG on Thursday, March 14, with the rest of the opening round to follow.
Carlton’s Tom De Koning flies for the ball in the 2023 season-opening match against Richmond.

Carlton’s Tom De Koning flies for the ball in the 2023 season-opening match against Richmond.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Some senior AFL bosses are acknowledging a number of fixturing own goals in 2023 against the NRL in Sydney, which has gained further momentum in NSW since the birth of Greater Western Sydney, who still struggle to attract an audience. The move to open the season early ahead of the Carlton-Richmond game comes as the NRL is looking at launching its 2024 season in Las Vegas.
AFL CEO-elect Andrew Dillon confirmed the competition was looking at an early season launch in Sydney, which could involve both the Swans and the Giants hosting games. The two clubs remain in finals contention and face off at Giants Stadium on Saturday night.

Good to see they are addressing the inept fixturing in those markets.

With regards to news corp, that's no surprise, I've always thought they intentionally try to smother the game in nsw and qld, they like the shared market of afl in some states and nrl in others as it gives them more power. Unfortunately it doesn't happen in the other direction though, as news corp has a stake in the storm.

s main FTA channelGood to see they are addressing the inept fixturing in those markets.

With regards to news corp, that's no surprise, I've always thought they intentionally try to smother the game in nsw and qld, they like the shared market of afl in some states and nrl in others as it gives them more power. Unfortunately it doesn't happen in the other direction though, as news corp has a stake in the storm.
The Storm have not really improved in the last 24 years even with winning 6 premierships as their crowds barely get to 16k even now and their ratings on CH 9 when shown live are abysmal like the 25k in Melbourne last night on CH9s main channel in a city of 5.2 million with massive over the top backing from News Corp esp when they owned them 100%!

The Storm have not really improved in the last 24 years even with winning 6 premierships as their crowds barely get to 16k even now and their ratings on CH 9 when shown live are abysmal like the 25k in Melbourne last night on CH9s main channel in a city of 5.2 million with massive over the top backing from News Corp esp when they owned them 100%!

Yep agree, the swans and lions have grown more despite the anti AFL agenda being run in those states.

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back