2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton v Melbourne next week deserved to get 75k.
But have a feeling we are going to let the crowd down unfortunately. A lot Melbourne members are unwilling to pay to reserve for seats on level 1 because they are used to being able to walk onto level 1. They also refuse level 4.
Reckon it will be 62-65k with 40k being Carlton, about 18k of us and a good neutral turnout.

Carlton v Melbourne next week deserved to get 75k.
But have a feeling we are going to let the crowd down unfortunately. A lot Melbourne members are unwilling to pay to reserve for seats on level 1 because they are used to being able to walk onto level 1. They also refuse level 4.
Reckon it will be 62-65k with 40k being Carlton, about 18k of us and a good neutral turnout.
I say this respectful with a glint in my eye! However, you lot are soft! What happened to Pert telling us they wanted to build support, get big crowds, get the youth back on board? Here are the Demons, top 4, riding a wave of sustained on field success and giving all the excuses why the mob won’t attend. Now, I’m sure they’ll turn up but I also agree to an extent with what you say. It proves the clubs base is still somewhat sedentary, lacking connection and engagement and set in their ways.

I haven’t heard boo from the Demons executive about outwardly encouraging fans to pack the G week in, week out. The motivation seems to have withered.

That’s my perception. Yes, the Demons crowds are decent but hardly needle moving in a needle moving year for crowds. Abd that’s disappointing from my viewpoint.

This game should draw 65K. Abd before anyone comes at me with why 65K shouldn’t be expected based on historical fact, this is the first time in many, many years stars are aligning. And that alone in a needle moving crowd year should guarantee a needle moving crowd between these two teams. Anything below 60K would be a letdown.

I say this respectful with a glint in my eye! However, you lot are soft! What happened to Pert telling us they wanted to build support, get big crowds, get the youth back on board? Here are the Demons, top 4, riding a wave of sustained on field success and giving all the excuses why the mob won’t attend. Now, I’m sure they’ll turn up but I also agree to an extent with what you say. It proves the clubs base is still somewhat sedentary, lacking connection and engagement and set in their ways.

I haven’t heard boo from the Demons executive about outwardly encouraging fans to pack the G week in, week out. The motivation seems to have withered.

That’s my perception. Yes, the Demons crowds are decent but hardly needle moving in a needle moving year for crowds. Abd that’s disappointing from my viewpoint.

This game should draw 65K. Abd before anyone comes at me with why 65K shouldn’t be expected based on historical fact, this is the first time in many, many years stars are aligning. And that alone in a needle moving crowd year should guarantee a needle moving crowd between these two teams. Anything below 60K would be a letdown.
That poster doesn't represent the fanbase
Its getting pretty annoying having to point this out every week and then having points ignored by posters like you, but here we go again.

The bottom line is a fanbase we have a much much smaller fanbase than the big 4 yet our crowds this year have held up well enough when comparing (except for Collingwood, but nobody's near them). A fanbase doesn't just magically double because we won a premiership.

Our crowds have been fine this year, these are our home crowds
48k against Bulldogs was good (second best AFL era crowd against them)
42k against the Swans was good
29k against North is probably average/poor
29k against freo was on par with our best crowd against them ever
38k Against Brisbane was a record breaking crowd
33k against the crows was our second best crowd against them ever

And there was a huge turnout of dees fans at both KB and Anzac eve.

and we're heading for an AFL era record breaking year for us. Idk what more you want, if we're having a record brekaing year we should be getting praised for it.

I personally think that you might be a bit light on. If there is decent weather I think it will be closer to 75k. Blues fans are up and about and keen to be involved.

What happened to Pert telling us they wanted to build support, get big crowds, get the youth back on board?

Every incoming CEO says stuff like that so they win the job, remember that clown years ago that turned up at the Bulldogs and the first thing he did was get flyers printed in Vietnamese expecting a membership boom. o_O

Weather prevailing, I'm shooting for 70k, that's only 2k more than our Saturday night game vs Geelong late last year. Surely a few more Dee's fans can show up than the sprinkling of Cat's fans that were there that night.

If it's a nice night I'm putting 65k in as a floor.

It will rely on a lot Carlton fans and MCC Members to turn up to get over 70K!

Its getting pretty annoying having to point this out every week and then having points ignored by posters like you, but here we go again.

The bottom line is a fanbase we have a much much smaller fanbase than the big 4 yet our crowds this year have held up well enough when comparing (except for Collingwood, but nobody's near them). A fanbase doesn't just magically double because we won a premiership.

and we're heading for an AFL era record breaking year for us. Idk what more you want, if we're having a record brekaing year we should be getting praised for it.
Yep over on LU they cannot stop raving they are having a sort of record year but we keep quiet about the great season we are having crowd and TV wise = why has Gill gone to sleep at the wheel on the way out?

After Round 21 (excluding Gather Round).

Home Crowd Average:
  • Collingwood = 67,064
  • Richmond = 50,607
  • Carlton = 50,300
  • Fremantle = 44,670
  • Melbourne = 44,114
  • Essendon = 43,933
  • West Coast = 40,729
  • Adelaide = 38,030
  • Port Adelaide = 37,582
  • Hawthorn = 36,209
  • St Kilda = 32,474
  • Geelong = 32,459
  • Sydney = 31,711
  • Western Bulldogs = 28,952
  • Brisbane Lions = 28,926
  • North Melbourne = 20,756
  • Gold Coast = 13,181
  • GWS = 10,259

H&A Crowd Average
  • Collingwood = 60,495
  • Carlton = 51,520
  • Richmond = 50,441
  • Essendon = 48,929
  • Melbourne = 37,535
  • Geelong = 37,259
  • Fremantle = 37,068
  • Hawthorn = 35,942
  • West Coast = 35,492
  • Port Adelaide = 34,803
  • Sydney = 33,377
  • Adelaide = 33,080
  • St Kilda = 31,520
  • Western Bulldogs = 31,441
  • Brisbane Lions = 29,615
  • North Melbourne = 24,746
  • Gold Coast = 19,758
  • GWS = 16,886

How can you say that I don't represent the fanbase. I havent missed a game this season home or away.
I think our crowds have been more than acceptable this year especially our home attendances. But, quite simply, our supporters do not like having to pay to reserve seats.

Bugger off mate calling us soft - we have put up with that much more garbage than any other club. Our fan base is probably half the size of Collingwood or Richmond, yet our crowds always end up with the highest percentage of members attending games. You love taking pot shots at smaller clubs and constantly try tell everyone that Essendon have the best supporter base in the league.

How can you say that I don't represent the fanbase. I havent missed a game this season home or away.
I think our crowds have been more than acceptable this year especially our home attendances. But, quite simply, our supporters do not like having to pay to reserve seats.

Maybe demon13304 didn't articulate himself properly, I do not think he meant to put you down maybe just saying that you don't represent the overall viewpoint of supporters. I could be wrong but guess that's for demon13304 to clarify.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton and Richmond joined Collingwood in getting their millionth person through the gates for the season, Essendon a chance to make it 4 this week (36.5k away) otherwise the week after. This will be the first time 4 clubs have achieved 1 million+ in the same year.

All clubs except Brisbane, GWS and Melbourne have now passed their totals from last year. Brisbane and Melbourne should do so this week, GWS will take until Rd 24 but will almost certainly get there as well.

This is how far each club is from their record yearly total:

1691369166524.png

Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Melbourne and Port Adelaide should all set records for themselves. The AFL should also beat its overall record by the end of Round 23, not even needing the extra round.

View attachment 1767171

Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Melbourne and Port Adelaide should all set records for themselves. The AFL should also beat its overall record by the end of Round 23, not even needing the extra round.
With the likely prospect of 3 MCG finals in week 1, We should get damn close to that week 1 finals record.

Bugger off mate calling us soft - we have put up with that much more garbage than any other club. Our fan base is probably half the size of Collingwood or Richmond, yet our crowds always end up with the highest percentage of members attending games. You love taking pot shots at smaller clubs and constantly try tell everyone that Essendon have the best supporter base in the league.
You didn’t read my first line, it was sarcasm. Stop taking it so seriously!

Maybe demon13304 didn't articulate himself properly, I do not think he meant to put you down maybe just saying that you don't represent the overall viewpoint of supporters. I could be wrong but guess that's for demon13304 to clarify.
Thanks AstuteTiger , That's really what I meant.
Sorry ep12 I really didn't mean it as a dig, it was mores that dave10 was having a crack at the dees supporters based on what you said, which I still think it was wrong for him to do so.

You're somewhat right, but i'd say just about any Victorian club member is more likely to rather go to games they don't have to pay for, than games as an away game where you do have to pay (i mean that's kinda common sense). It's just you won't notice it as much with the bigger clubs because of the sheer amount of supporters they have.

For Example, if 3% of Collingwood fan base is showing up to an away game in Melbourne , you're talking 30k probably even more.
Whereas with Melbourne, if 3% is showing up, you're probably talking 10k at best. We just have less supporters, which a lot AFL fans can't seem to Grasp.

I'm a bit on edge because I feel like we cop it way more than any other Victorian club, yet our numbers are good this year. And its not just here, its listening to the radio, FB, people in real life etc.

Thanks AstuteTiger , That's really what I meant.
Sorry ep12 I really didn't mean it as a dig, it was mores that dave10 was having a crack at the dees supporters based on what you said, which I still think it was wrong for him to do so.

You're somewhat right, but i'd say just about any Victorian club member is more likely to rather go to games they don't have to pay for, than games as an away game where you do have to pay (i mean that's kinda common sense). It's just you won't notice it as much with the bigger clubs because of the sheer amount of supporters they have.

For Example, if 3% of Collingwood fan base is showing up to an away game in Melbourne , you're talking 30k probably even more.
Whereas with Melbourne, if 3% is showing up, you're probably talking 10k at best. We just have less supporters, which a lot AFL fans can't seem to Grasp.

I'm a bit on edge because I feel like we cop it way more than any other Victorian club, yet our numbers are good this year. And it’s not just here, it’s listening to the radio, FB, people in real life etc.
I’m glad you, in this case note you were ‘on edge’ as I think this edginess resulted in my post being taken out of context. My first sentence indicated my sarcastic intent for the post, ‘a glint in my eye’ said by me at the outset. All good natured intent, and perhaps edginess resulting in the post being taken out of context in this case.

There was nothing wrong with my post, I asked questions (whether we agree or disagree is up to each person) of the activation of the Demons base post premiership in relation to this weeks blockbuster against Carlton. I argued, and still do this game should be drawing up to 65,000 given it’s a top 5 blockbuster with Carlton the home team. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t with a strong Dee’s showing. I should also be able to criticise the administration of the Dees for not living up to their lofty aspirations (in my opinion) in setting ambitious targets for crowds. It’s nothing personal against its supporters..

And contrary to ep12 view I take pot shots at smaller clubs, that’s wrong. I don’t. I never attack smaller clubs and given I’ve posted hundreds of times on here, I’m certain you could count on one (only) hand how many times I’ve gone after small clubs and their crowds. So, let’s get the facts right before going down this path.

Anyhow, the game in question should be a beauty and hopefully the Demins fans do get along to see it, packing the MCC reserve and ensuring a crowd of 65,000 is nudged Saturday night.

After Round 21 (excluding Gather Round).

Home Crowd Average:
  • Collingwood = 67,064
  • Richmond = 50,607
  • Carlton = 50,300
  • Fremantle = 44,670
  • Melbourne = 44,114
  • Essendon = 43,933
  • West Coast = 40,729
  • Adelaide = 38,030
  • Port Adelaide = 37,582
  • Hawthorn = 36,209
  • St Kilda = 32,474
  • Geelong = 32,459
  • Sydney = 31,711
  • Western Bulldogs = 28,952
  • Brisbane Lions = 28,926
  • North Melbourne = 20,756
  • Gold Coast = 13,181
  • GWS = 10,259

H&A Crowd Average
  • Collingwood = 60,495
  • Carlton = 51,520
  • Richmond = 50,441
  • Essendon = 48,929
  • Melbourne = 37,535
  • Geelong = 37,259
  • Fremantle = 37,068
  • Hawthorn = 35,942
  • West Coast = 35,492
  • Port Adelaide = 34,803
  • Sydney = 33,377
  • Adelaide = 33,080
  • St Kilda = 31,520
  • Western Bulldogs = 31,441
  • Brisbane Lions = 29,615
  • North Melbourne = 24,746
  • Gold Coast = 19,758
  • GWS = 16,886
Obviously Collingwood are having an all-time year but that is a remarkable effort from Freo

Did anyone else notice how the AFL quietly snuck in a 6:10pm Sunday fixture in round 24?

It will likely be a finals defining fixture and will as a result deservedly draw a strong crowd. Let’s assume it draws a record for Carlton Vs Giants (32,000+?). Of course, it will be deemed a huge success (record crowd endorses Sunday night footy!).

So, get ready for 6:10pm Sunday in 2024 and good luck with all the families thanking the AFL for ensuring another game they can’t take kids to…. Good for TV though. They finally got their entry to a new (crap) fixture.

Subtle as a sledgehammer 🤔😂

Wonder how the 6.10 start time on a Sunday night will impact the attendance for Carlton/GWS?

I imagine if it's resulting in Carlton making the finals for the first time in a decade it won't deter too many Blues fans from going. Good luck getting people to show up in other circumstances, though.

Also, is anyone else happy like me that they've scheduled the first game on Sunday as 12:30pm so it won't overlap the 3:20pm game?

{Edit: dave10 already covered the same point, but the more the merrier}

Wonder how the 6.10 start time on a Sunday night will impact the attendance for Carlton/GWS?

I imagine if it's resulting in Carlton making the finals for the first time in a decade it won't deter too many Blues fans from going. Good luck getting people to show up in other circumstances, though.

Also, is anyone else happy like me that they've scheduled the first game on Sunday as 12:30pm so it won't overlap the 3:20pm game?
I just posted about the back story in relation to this fixture next season. I can’t stand it.

In relation to the attendance, if it’s still finals defining, I think it will only be marginally effected. If the Giants are done, it will be 20% below expectations.

Did anyone else notice how the AFL quietly snuck in a 6:10pm Sunday fixture in round 24?
It will likely be a finals defining fixture and will as a result deservedly draw a strong crowd. Let’s assume it draws a record for Carlton Vs Giants (32,000+?). Of course, it will be deemed a huge success (record crowd endorses Sunday night footy!).

So, get ready for 6:10pm Sunday in 2024 and good luck with all the families thanking the AFL for ensuring another game they can’t take kids to…. Good for TV though. They finally got their entry to a new (crap) fixture.

Subtle as a sledgehammer 🤔😂
I still think it will draw a huge crowd. Carlton fans are up and about, personally I think close to 40k will be achieved unless it doesn’t impact them having a home final

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back