List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Kind of annoying how Twomey goes silent every year in this patch. Then just before the Draft he basically gives us the list ruining any surprise. Would rather than some extra thoughts in the lead up and then STFU.
its not really a phantom draft if you have spent the week just directly asking the clubs who they are going to pick

If anyone wants to run a cheese-grater over their nads and then sprinkle some lemon and salt on them here is an article on our top 10 drafting.

If anyone wants to run a cheese-grater over their nads and then sprinkle some lemon and salt on them here is an article on our top 10 drafting.

Spongebob Squarepants Ngapa GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run

More clubs should be like Sydney and not let him know what they are going to do.

Would make draft night much more interesting.
It would make it more interesting if you could live trade the kids on the night.

Example. Hawthorn take Curtain and the eagles can work a deal on the night to trade after the selection has been made.

That way clubs can pre select players in preparation for a trade like in the NBA

Should get him to watch old tapes of G Train and own the goal square. Get him some roids and turn those loose shoulders in boulders. G would do absolute bare minimum running and used timing and intimidation to find his little bits of space. Max started playing angry this year. He needs some meat on him to make himself scary.
Not sure Max has it in him to be scary or intimidating. He's got that racehorse build, like Rooey. He's the type of guy to develop boobs and a vestigial tail by taking 'roids rather than developing shoulder boulders...so perhaps better to leave him galloping wild and clunking marks.
Jack Hayes however...now, he has the bulk and mad head, to pull off a G-train vibe. If he can sort out his injuries, I think he'd look good as a bollocking FF.

Not sure Max has it in him to be scary or intimidating. He's got that racehorse build, like Rooey. He's the type of guy to develop boobs and a vestigial tail by taking 'roids rather than developing shoulder boulders...so perhaps better to leave him galloping wild and clunking marks.
Jack Hayes however...now, he has the bulk and mad head, to pull off a G-train vibe. If he can sort out his injuries, I think he'd look good as a bollocking FF.
Rooey in second half of 08-09/10 was built like an Adonis.

Genuinely the closest thing to Carey I’ve ever seen.

He has all his athletic gifts. But was very strong and muscular at that point.

He was definitely intimidating

Isn’t this a few days old?

Based on today’s news. That Edwards pick at Melbourne is wrong. It appears to be Tholstrup

Also doesn’t take into consideration Curtain to Hawthorn
There’s no way Curtain makes it past Pick 5.

It's funny how things are perceived. I thought Butler was playing higher up than in previous years, and was doing some good things...in a bit of a different role. Kicked over 30 goals, and only 3 or 4 less than Higgins who was still playing the typical small forward role. I had Butler ahead of Higgo by a margin.
I think Higgins is great when switched on, but is otherwise a bit like King, in that he seems to pick and choose his moments, which is bloody frustrating to watch.
Butler, just keeps on keeping on, but is definitely prone to the absolute "mare" of a game. He needs to be a bit more aware of his limitations.
Better to have someone try and occasionally fail though, than stand there like a witches hat, or just be completely unsighted.
Effort is non-negotiable. Butler, I don't think, can be questioned on that.
That from my seat is what I see. For both of them their best is great. When on in the same game it is enticing. Unfortunately they both go missing too often. Higgo's pressure rating puts him behind Butt's.

Hope they sit down with each other and the coaches over summer and demand from each other how they can both close the gap to be at their best more often and get each other going in the same game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rooey in second half of 08-09/10 was built like an Adonis.

Genuinely the closest thing to Carey I’ve ever seen.

He has all his athletic gifts. But was very strong and muscular at that point.

He was definitely intimidating

Would love for King to get to that level & consistency (in his own King like way)

Bloody hell, the idea of Max bulking up to G-Train levels is so tantalising, you just pray he is motivated enough to make that happen. I guess I'd be happy if he ends up with Joe Daniher style build, which seems more his destiny.

I assume you mean "bullocking" as in "like a bull", and not just a full forward who is furiously telling people off all the time lol.

Last edited:
Delean I reckon is a bit of a Milney. Little lead up forward/ goal sneak. Not particularly fast or defensive or anything but just knows how to kick goals.
Edwards and Delean for first two for me*. At the picks we have they seem a fair and reasonable swing for the fences with need. sure in 5 years we should have done something else but at pick 13 (16ish) and 21 (24ish) you can't hang your recruiters.

In the EPL managers bring in players to keep the incumbents honest. Our small forwards need to be given a rocket. Delean can take a mark and also get into 'Joe the goose' position. That seems to be the intersection point of what we have that a new guy would catch the eye of coaches which the senior players should notice.

* worth less than a pinch of !@#$

Bloody hell, the idea of Max bulking up to G-Train levels is so tantalising, you just pray he is motivated enough to make that happen. I guess I'd be happy if he ends up with Joe Daniher style build, which seems more his destiny.

I assume you mean "bullocking" as in "like a bull", and not just a full forward who is furiously telling people off all the time lol.
Another Dougal Howard...nah, one's enough hey!? No, I misspelled. Bullocking is what I meant.
Ha, and I just gave out to my kid last night for messing up every vowel in his homework, now I see where he gets it from. 😏

The Sydney and Adelaide picks just before us are the ones I’m concerned about.

Could screw us.

Also an interesting point. The crows have

Yet only 2 list spots available
Reckon Adelaide will take whatever Essendon leave them out of Leake and Windsor. O'Sullivan would be their no.1 target but he will be gone already. Rumours they could trade up.

Sydney might be looking at Hardeman. The Lizard 🦎 is all on his own providing the run from back half. Hardeman would be a great pick to support their average backline and he has aerial ability. Murphy most logical for Swannies but seems a stretch for Swans to call his name out that early.

Isn’t this a few days old?

Based on today’s news. That Edwards pick at Melbourne is wrong. It appears to be Tholstrup

Also doesn’t take into consideration Curtain to Hawthorn
A bit of ducks and drakes happening behind the shadows me feels, particularly Hawks who are synonymous with last week meetings and throwing the scent a bit. Wouldn't say the news means it's a fait accompli.
That from my seat is what I see. For both of them their best is great. When on in the same game it is enticing. Unfortunately they both go missing too often. Higgo's pressure rating puts him behind Butt's.

Hope they sit down with each other and the coaches over summer and demand from each other how they can both close the gap to be at their best more often and get each other going in the same game.
They are small forwards, hardest position on the park to play, as their play is dictated by the full ground defense and backline structure of the opponent, and reliant on our offense ball movement being able to overcome this.

On Higgins, like Gresh, he was an AA mid in the U18s. Not saying it translates, but maybe a few stints on ball and even as that high half forward could be an alternative.

If the Tholstrup to Melbourne rumours come true and one of Wilson or Windsor slides to us, do we call their name out?

I get a feeling Wilson could slide. Think he has more productivity than Windsor but Windsor looks to have the better skills, speed.

Wilson reminds me of Acres getting up and down the ground all day involved in everything.

Windsor reminds me of Isaac Smith the way he glides across the ground.

It is not a one draft fix, it is multiple drafts over a number of years.

Yes I fully agree, and have said the same in many of my recent posts.

Our first two picks need to be best available. With later picks you will probably have players who play different roles rated pretty much the same and so can then bias your draft selections more for what we need.

Rinse and repeat every year. Use trade and FA to get what we do not draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back