Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
With JVR another year in, Petty, Fritsch, MacAdam, Petracca and Kozzie we have a reasonable forward 50 next year. If Chandler and/or Spargo can find some form then even better.

Draft the 3 best kids we can get and just change the way we enter or forward 50 so the forwards have a chance.

Might need to grab a mature bodied state league ruckman on to the rookie list as well.

Pick 1 - best available (hopefully Curtin/McKercher/Duursma).

Then consider who is available from running midfielders Windsor, Wilson, Leake, Hardeman and Edwards with our next 2 or 3 if possible.

We’ll be right in the mix again next year and have sured up our list for a few years time.

Curtin's final senior WAFL performance was solid if unspectacular. He didn't find a heap of the footy, but he did take a couple of nice intercept marks which had been a criticism from some quarters.

I love him.

My current order of vague hope is that one of these make it through to us in this order;

1) McKercher
2) Curtin
3) Duursma

I’m almost starting to think that if we don’t think any of these guys can get to us then I’d be happy to trade back a bit and get O’Sullivan and 2 runners in the 10-15 range.

If we trade well we might still have a pick 20 or so as well.

We should sniff out offers for Laurie. If we could snare a 3rd rounder we should take it and run.

Begs beleif we traded a F1 for the pick to get him.
What would be the point? Let him have another pre season, and see what happens.

There is certainly a false equivalency between our run of attacking footy coming without Oliver and Oliver being any kind of reason for it ending. That had everything to do with Petty going down and Goodwin losing his nerve when we faced a rampaging Carlton by "going back to our brand".
Lol don't think anyone said we only played good because Oliver was out but nice try. Point was always we could still play awesome footy without him but also add a heap of extra picks and players in hypothetical land.

Lol don't think anyone said we only played good because Oliver was out but nice try. Point was always we could still play awesome footy without him but also add a heap of extra picks and players in hypothetical land.
Never said we did. Stop picking fights that don’t exist mate. I’m saying Oliver’s return didn’t contribute in any meaningful way to our game plan changing, but the timing was unfortunate

Never said we did. Stop picking fights that don’t exist mate. I’m saying Oliver’s return didn’t contribute in any meaningful way to our game plan changing, but the timing was unfortunate
Don't be so sensitive, was not a fight was a reply to your post about false equivalency. There was no false equivalency we managed to play absolutely fine without him and again in a hypothetical world we could easily get by without him if the right value came back the other way

He's not our best player.

Petracca and Gawn are better footballers than Oliver. And have been for some years.

Can't go by B&F's,, or by Brownlow's.

Flower was better than all 3 of them, hands down.
Oliver is, and always will be ,better than Petracca. I've had this opinion for a long time. You absolutely can, and should, go by BnF's. But surely the eye test is enough. Petracca is the worst shot for goal in the AFL for 3 years in a row. Oliver is a better clearance player and more consistent. It's a good problem but the BnF's speak for themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So according to some here Issac Smith is the guru of footy knowledge because he played in flags

Well this is Matty Lloyd who was a shit load better player saying what the smart people have been saying about us standing still while other teams have gone past us

This will haunt Melbourne – another straight sets finals loss,” Bombers great Matthew Lloyd said on The Sunday Footy Show.

“They should have won this game – they had Carlton on the ropes.

“I don’t think they’ve changed enough things (since the flag win) and the competition’s gone past them.

Clayton Oliver
We should trade him for picks. Can't make this s*** up. It's gonna be a very long off-season with garbage like this being thrown out there. Might as well trade Trac and Gawn for 1st rounders as well. We'll play better without them with a bunch of first round picks. Better tell McAdam that when he arrives, he'll be our best player.

We should trade him for picks. Can't make this s*** up. It's gonna be a very long off-season with garbage like this being thrown out there. Might as well trade Trac and Gawn for 1st rounders as well. We'll play better without them with a bunch of first round picks. Better tell McAdam that when he arrives, he'll be our best player.
It was a joke….

Oliver is, and always will be ,better than Petracca. I've had this opinion for a long time. You absolutely can, and should, go by BnF's. But surely the eye test is enough. Petracca is the worst shot for goal in the AFL for 3 years in a row. Oliver is a better clearance player and more consistent. It's a good problem but the BnF's speak for themselves.
Let's not pretend Oliver is any threat to the scoreboard.

It was a joke….
As was my post. Unfortunately some people aren't joking when suggesting we'd be better off if we traded Clayton Oliver. Hypothetical or not, its just absurd. Carlton might as well trade Curnow for picks. Theyd get 3 first rounders i reckon. Would transform the club! They have Harry McKay and DeKoning. Who needs Curnow! Other club supporters on here must just shake there heads in disbelief.

Last edited by a moderator:
So according to some here Issac Smith is the guru of footy knowledge because he played in flags

Well this is Matty Lloyd who was a s**t load better player saying what the smart people have been saying about us standing still while other teams have gone past us
Somewhat torn here; we definitely haven’t done enough to adapt to other developing teams, but we were also disastrously inaccurate to the the point where the system was working yet we are missing set shots. However, had we had beaten Collingwood we’d still be getting GWS this weekend who are a pretty polished outfit all over and they bat deep in the middle.

We are predictable in that we kick like we have Wayne Carey rotating with Stephen Kernahan at CHF, so this approach of lobbing it up to be intercepted has to change. Also, reports of players doing the minimum required at training is also an issue as it denotes complacency, something the coaches need to be all over.

Somewhat torn here; we definitely haven’t done enough to adapt to other developing teams, but we were also disastrously inaccurate to the the point where the system was working yet we are missing set shots. However, had we had beaten Collingwood we’d still be getting GWS this weekend who are a pretty polished outfit all over and they bat deep in the middle.

We are predictable in that we kick like we have Wayne Carey rotating with Stephen Kernahan at CHF, so this approach of lobbing it up to be intercepted has to change. Also, reports of players doing the minimum required at training is also an issue as it denotes complacency, something the coaches need to be all over.
There needs to be a heavy review by the board tbh. Is the bombing it long thing a directive of the coaches? Or are the players just going against instruction and bombing it long anyway? It's a guess, but it happens far too often for it not to be a coaching thing. I've seen all our mids and wingers and forward flankers hit low passes. They are capable..so for me, it's a coaching thing. Even Goody saying he wanted Tmac on the ground so he can compete and bring ball to ground suggests Goody is the main problem here. Tmac couldn't compete. Couldn't take a mark. Couldn't get to contests. He's expecting Tmac to be Wayne Carey. We needed to lower the eyes and hit up our mobile forwards. We have players capable of doing this, but the plan never seemed to go in that direction. Coaches are there to fix those problems.

Well this is Matty Lloyd who was a s**t load better player saying what the smart people have been saying about us standing still while other teams have gone past us

Wait, so because you think Lloyd was a "s**t load better player" then his analytical opinions are better?

Interestingly, in the same segment Lloyd also said: “They should have won this game – they had Carlton on the ropes." So which one is it Lloydy? Other teams have gone past us, or we should have been in a prelim if it wasn't for the Dees "lacking discipline" (which is what Lloyd said cost us the game).

Also, can you point out where he suggested we trade our best player? I've only seen nuffies here suggest that, not any of the "smart people" in footy media.

There needs to be a heavy review by the board tbh. Is the bombing it long thing a directive of the coaches? Or are the players just going against instruction and bombing it long anyway? It's a guess, but it happens far too often for it not to be a coaching thing. I've seen all our mids and wingers and forward flankers hit low passes. They are capable..so for me, it's a coaching thing. Even Goody saying he wanted Tmac on the ground so he can compete and bring ball to ground suggests Goody is the main problem here. Tmac couldn't compete. Couldn't take a mark. Couldn't get to contests. He's expecting Tmac to be Wayne Carey. We needed to lower the eyes and hit up our mobile forwards. We have players capable of doing this, but the plan never seemed to go in that direction. Coaches are there to fix those problems.
Tend to agree. Has to be a directive. He is over investing in McDonald and thinking he can still do what he did in 2021, which, to be fair, was only half a season of really decent football. We absolutely can hit targets, but the combination of players in the midfield is wrong. Trent Rivers needs to be playing there next year. Pickett potentially to build his tank and given more midfield time.

I think losing Petty is really understated. It’s even more frustrating we had to play him in defence when Grundy and Gawn plodded in the F50 in an experiment that was DOA.

Wait, so because you think Lloyd was a "s**t load better player" then his analytical opinions are better?

Interestingly, in the same segment Lloyd also said: “They should have won this game – they had Carlton on the ropes." So which one is it Lloydy? Other teams have gone past us, or we should have been in a prelim if it wasn't for the Dees "lacking discipline" (which is what Lloyd said cost us the game).

Also, can you point out where he suggested we trade our best player? I've only seen nuffies here suggest that, not any of the "smart people" in footy media.
The trading Oliver thing has been blown out of proportion. People here are pissed off at the way he kicks the ball. I get it. The reality is that every team needs inside ball winners and Oliver is probably the best in the AFL. He isn’t going anywhere. For him to be a more complete player he needs to better his kicking.

I am not too stressed, we played well enough to get within two kicks both games. We kicked like a dying horse. We couldn’t hit a barn door with a rifle from 10 foot away.

We do, however, need a better forward line and to kill this ridiculous notion of bombing it into a hole expecting key forwards to mark or kill it. You don’t take risks like that in modern football when intercept defending is what defence is all about with runners that are looking to rebound and press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back