Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
The trading Oliver thing has been blown out of proportion. People here are pissed off at the way he kicks the ball. I get it. The reality is that every team needs inside ball winners and Oliver is probably the best in the AFL. He isn’t going anywhere. For him to be a more complete player he needs to better his kicking.

I am not too stressed, we played well enough to get within two kicks both games. We kicked like a dying horse. We couldn’t hit a barn door with a rifle from 10 foot away.

We do, however, need a better forward line and to kill this ridiculous notion of bombing it into a hole expecting key forwards to mark or kill it. You don’t take risks like that in modern football when intercept defending is what defence is all about with runners that are looking to rebound and press.

Agreed on all this. Note though, TopKent has consistently suggested trading Oliver makes us better. Baffling.

Tend to agree. Has to be a directive. He is over investing in McDonald and thinking he can still do what he did in 2021, which, to be fair, was only half a season of really decent football. We absolutely can hit targets, but the combination of players in the midfield is wrong. Trent Rivers needs to be playing there next year. Pickett potentially to build his tank and given more midfield time.

I think losing Petty is really understated. It’s even more frustrating we had to play him in defence when Grundy and Gawn plodded in the F50 in an experiment that was DOA.
Yep. Our hopes of winning a flag left us when Petty got injured. Mind you, we should have still won both finals. Not sure we would have gone on to win the flag, but we should be at least in a prelim with or without Petty in the F50.

Wait, so because you think Lloyd was a "s**t load better player" then his analytical opinions are better?

Interestingly, in the same segment Lloyd also said: “They should have won this game – they had Carlton on the ropes." So which one is it Lloydy? Other teams have gone past us, or we should have been in a prelim if it wasn't for the Dees "lacking discipline" (which is what Lloyd said cost us the game).

Also, can you point out where he suggested we trade our best player? I've only seen nuffies here suggest that, not any of the "smart people" in footy media.
Lloyd is a fn useless campaigner who makes calls similar to Kaneo to get people riled up. Take no notice of what Lloyd has to say.

Yep. Our hopes of winning a flag left us when Petty got injured. Mind you, we should have still won both finals. Not sure we would have gone on to win the flag, but we should be at least in a prelim with or without Petty in the F50.
We were also undisciplined. Gave away free kicks and just didn’t look alive. Pickett embodied that. Trying to flatten Cripps and jumper punching McGovern. The mindset wasn’t right. I think the Brayshaw thing rattled us. How the **** Maynard got no weeks is borderline corrupt. Would absolutely love Green to kick 5 on him and cause him to lose it and belt him.

It’d just vindicate how much of a dog he is.

I’d be loading up on long term prospects with our picks unless it meant packaging up selections and trading in a ready made player that would make an instantaneous difference.

We can absolutely win the flag next year with some changes that aren’t industrial.
I fn wish we got Bailey Humphrey. Not sure how hard we went, but I heard we were right into him. Would be ideal on our forward flank. Chandler wouldn't get another game. Humphrey, McAdam and a top 5 draft pick all of a sudden would make us a lot better. Not sure who's out there that's gettable.

I fn wish we got Bailey Humphrey. Not sure how hard we went, but I heard we were right into him. Would be ideal on our forward flank. Chandler wouldn't get another game. Humphrey, McAdam and a top 5 draft pick all of a sudden would make us a lot better. Not sure who's out there that's gettable.
How long since we’ve had an A grade midfielder with silk like skills?

This article is from April so it might have changed.

It would have cost us the Freo pick and our own first rounder, so no top 5 pick.

I don't spend a lot of time on here, but when I do like to read about interesting and insightful thoughts. All I've ever read from you if horse s**t. Petty is an integral part of the club going forward either as a KPD or a KPF.

Goodbye.

Put him on ignore, your BF experience will be so much better for it

Put him on ignore, your BF experience will be so much better for it
Yeah there are some wild suggestions going on. The Oliver calls are embarrassing. And this Petty one is just as embarrassing. Petty showed plenty in his time down forward this season to suggest we don't have to give away a mountain of picks for a half decent key forward. Plus he can hold down a key post in defence. Joel Smith maybe the only other player on our list who we can swing back or forward. Very valuable player moving forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not pretend Oliver is any threat to the scoreboard.
Many of the best midfielders aren't though. Zac Merrett kicked 8 goals this year. Caleb Serong kicked 4. Both made the AA team. Oliver kicked 6 and missed 10 games.

Petracca has also kicked 152 behinds in his career. Oliver 49. Missed shots are turnovers. It's all good to say Petracca kick goals but he has been statistically the worst shot at goal the last 3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many of the best midfielders aren't though. Zac Merrett kicked 8 goals this year. Caleb Serong kicked 4. Both made the AA team. Oliver kicked 6 and missed 10 games.

Petracca has also kicked 152 behinds in his career. Oliver 49. Missed shots are turnovers. It's all good to say Petracca kick goals but he has been statistically the worst shot at goal the last 3 years.
Oliver turned over every single one his kicks in the finals lol bizarre comparison

Maybe, but I'd nearly do that deal tbh over Unknown kids. Humphrey looks like exactly what we need.
No maybe to it that's what we offered a few clubs that and they all knocked us back. We actually offered even more.
But that didn't stop Melbourne having a throw at the stumps. A week out from the draft, the Demons went to North Melbourne (who held pick No.3), Essendon (No.4) and Gold Coast (No.5) with an offer of two future first-round picks (one tied to Melbourne's finishing position and another tied to Fremantle). None of the clubs were keen to move, but it did stir some thought from the Bombers.

Despite being knocked back, Melbourne continued to be aggressive with its draft hand. Humphrey, the powerful midfielder/forward, was in their sights, and pick No.4 appealed as it would have given the Dees first choice of the 'open' pool given the top three were set. Days before the draft, another deal was proposed: pick 13 in this year's draft and the two future first-rounders in exchange for Essendon's picks No.4 and 22.

Essendon should have taken the deal tbh.

Humphrey was an unknown when we tried it too so there's always risk. Depends who we take this year. Time will tell whether missing out was better for us.

No maybe to it that's what we offered a few clubs that and they all knocked us back. We actually offered even more.

Essendon should have taken the deal tbh.

Humphrey was an unknown when we tried it too so there's always risk. Depends who we take this year. Time will tell whether missing out was better for us.
I'm talking about this season. Before he signed his contract. He wasn't an unknown. Looks a jet and I can see why we threw 2 first rounders at clubs to try and get him at the draft. Clearly we didn't know that Freo would fail miserably. But I believe we had another strong crack at him this year. I rate the kid very very highly.

Enough with the 'nuffs' and personal barbs please, everyone. Debate is encouraged, insults are not.

Even more reason we'll focus on top 20 picks this year, and the leave period is possibly a watch for us too - I'm pushing the barrow of too many players doing the bare minimum the last year or two.

Trading Oliver suggestions deserved it. Apologies, but I'll stand by it
You can disagree with the posts without resorting to name-calling though. For what it's worth, I also pretty strongly disagree with trading Oliver, but this thread is for ideas to be shared/healthy debate. Please avoid playing the poster.

I'm talking about this season. Before he signed his contract. He wasn't an unknown. Looks a jet and I can see why we threw 2 first rounders at clubs to try and get him at the draft. Clearly we didn't know that Freo would fail miserably. But I believe we had another strong crack at him this year. I rate the kid very very highly.
A top 5 pick is worth even more when they actually come on so I can't imagine how much we would have had to spend to get a trade done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back