Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Very brave, taking the entire field over one player would be odds of like $1.10
What odds you give me for top 10 or top 5 of the draft?

I'd bet top 10 definitely and coin toss for the top 5. So if we get GC pick 4 (somehow) I'd take the two shots at it. But this will be going back and forth until draft day and to be honest we won't know for another 10 years.

Amazing that out 2019 draft hand turned into Kozzie, Rivers, Jefferson, pick 5 and pick 23 after the LJ trade. Should help us stay up the top of the ladder for some time yet if we get this right.

What odds you give me for top 10 or top 5 of the draft?

I'd bet top 10 definitely and coin toss for the top 5. So if we get GC pick 4 (somehow) I'd take the two shots at it. But this will be going back and forth until draft day and to be honest we won't know for another 10 years.

Amazing that out 2019 draft hand turned into Kozzie, Rivers, Jefferson, pick 5 and pick 23 after the LJ trade. Should help us stay up the top of the ladder for some time yet if we get this right.

Jefferson’s a total unknown. Could be Lucas Cook Mk2.

Yeah, he's a skinny 19 year old KPF having to play wing at the moment. Shown enough in his first year to tick it off as a win I think.

Jeffo could still be a bust though, of course.

So he's a win but still could be a bust?
It's not panic stations at all and I'll give him time but it's far from a win

Are you suggesting the AFL won't give North a band 1 compensation pick for McKay (pick3 I think).?

I reckon the AFL will go all out to rectify, in their heads, The loss of Horne-Francis last season... So I am of the opinion that P3 will end up with North. AFL will turn heaven and earth to assist North.
It will be interesting to see if 'they', help North with a couple of Tasmanians.???

If so, maybe we could trade for P2 from North, giving North extra picks... Even IF they, North, really need mature leaders to blend with their list of youngsters.
We all know over here how it goes with all kids and no mature leaders, and we've also seen it at both GWS since inception, and GCS as well.

On-field Leadership is imperative, for young kids to be able to keep their heads screwed on tight.
I’m saying the AFL will give North a compensation pick if they lose McKay to free agency, but there won’t be a restriction on it like the pick must be traded.

It’s also possible the AFL give North assistance picks with conditions such as they must be traded for players - which is exactly what happened last year and effectively netted them Griffen Logue and Darcy Tucker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the circumstances that are largely out of his control (playing wing or as 3rd or 4th tall) - he has shown enough throughout the year that you'd chalk down the year of development as a win - reads the ball well in flight, nice set shot routine, good forward smarts and gets to the right positions.

It's obviously not a win that he's stuck behind washed up/out of position players but what can he do about that? That will likely change next year anyway. You're recreationally missing the point (again).

I’m saying the AFL will give North a compensation pick if they lose McKay to free agency, but there won’t be a restriction on it like the pick must be traded.

It’s also possible the AFL give North assistance picks with conditions such as they must be traded for players - which is exactly what happened last year and effectively netted them Griffen Logue and Darcy Tucker.
Which were 2 pretty horrible trades for them, I'd be surprised if that happens again. They might get the same picks but without those restrictions, hard to have bargaining power when you are forced to trade them

If we had 4 & 5, I'd just double down on KPD's and take Curtin and Sullivan if available.

Those two along with McVee would give us the core of our backline for the next decade.
We'll get Kalani White in two years. If he keeps performing like he is now, he'll be a pillar of our backline for years to come.

Given the circumstances that are largely out of his control (playing wing or as 3rd or 4th tall) - he has shown enough throughout the year that you'd chalk down the year of development as a win - reads the ball well in flight, nice set shot routine, good forward smarts and gets to the right positions.

It's obviously not a win that he's stuck behind washed up/out of position players but what can he do about that? That will likely change next year anyway. You're recreationally missing the point (again).

Not really, wouldn't have thought the master plan to develop a key tall is to play him as the 4th tall and on the wing. If that's the bar for a good development season every kid in the AFL is a success in their first season of being drafted.

If we had 4 & 5, I'd just double down on KPD's and take Curtin and Sullivan if available.

Those two along with McVee would give us the core of our backline for the next decade.
I’d rather take midfielders with higher picks, they’re more of a surer thing, key position players can be very hit or miss.

The kid is getting game reps, it's not ideal but also not his fault that the list has cloggers on it that are being given first shot at the key spots. It's not a wasted year or anything, even under the best conditions he's not physically where JVR was so another year developing isn't a big deal.

Looking forward to seeing his 2024, Jefferson has ticked a lot of boxes for me. Wild amount of pack marks given his opportunities and the fact he's a skinny kid.

Which were 2 pretty horrible trades for them, I'd be surprised if that happens again. They might get the same picks but without those restrictions, hard to have bargaining power when you are forced to trade them
I think that was the point.

The picks had zero value for North if they didn’t trade them because they would disappear, so there was no back and forth about getting value for the picks.

I reckon the trades were OK. Logue was playing decent footy before his injury and Tucker is not much chop but better than Kayne Turner or whoever else was battling for those last spots in the North lineup each week.

The kid is getting game reps, it's not ideal but also not his fault that the list has cloggers on it that are being given first shot at the key spots. It's not a wasted year or anything, even under the best conditions he's not physically where JVR was so another year developing isn't a big deal.

Looking forward to seeing his 2024, Jefferson has ticked a lot of boxes for me. Wild amount of pack marks given his opportunities and the fact he's a skinny kid.
He can have 2 more years developing if he needs it but he needs to be developing as the second forward, doesn't take much for these kids to lose their under age confidence and quickly become nothing

I think that was the point.

The picks had zero value for North if they didn’t trade them because they would disappear, so there was no back and forth about getting value for the picks.

I reckon the trades were OK. Logue was playing decent footy before his injury and Tucker is not much chop but better than Kayne Turner or whoever else was battling for those last spots in the North lineup each week.
I dunno mate I didn't watch a heap of North games start to finish but Logue was being singled out on review shows all season for how crap he was.
Not exactly much assistance for a club that needs it

He can have 2 more years developing if he needs it but he needs to be developing as the second forward, doesn't take much for these kids to lose their under age confidence and quickly become nothing
I get what you're saying but he doesn't strike me as a rhythm guy. Can sit on a wing doing **** all then get a few minutes at FF in the last and clunk grabs in the square. Also I dunno if he'll make it in the big time but I have every confidence he's going to be at least one of those too good for the VFL guys soon enough. He'll win the spot in the twos even if we keep the tall potatoes on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back