List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
It's not really the same logic, though. I don't read commentary about CoL as the entirety of the reason we can't land trades, but when talking about trading in players from other states, it'd certainly be a factor. Especially when combined with diminished earning chances outside football and having to uproot their life and everything that goes with that.
Facts, the combination has a compounding effect and means players have to be really attracted to playing for the club to consider us the preferred option.

It's the same for anyone really. Why would someone choose to live in Sydney over Adelaide or Perth or Melbourne? Probably because a lot of people think Sydney is a better place to live.

Players don't have to buy property in Sydney. They could easily buy property in their home state if they think that is a better investment. And as I said in my previous post, it is likely our players don't pay any rent.

My point is that I think it COL is a side issue and not the real problem. Even if there was no difference in COL in Sydney, we would still have the same issues attracting players to move away from their home state.

I think going on and on about COL living is counterproductive for two reasons.

a) No one cares and they aren't going to give us back COLA.
b) It distracts from the real issue which is the enormous disadvantage all four 'northern' clubs face in trying to attract players to move away from home. Which has nothing to do with COL.

It has everything to do with it having COL gave us the option to offer that financial opportunity to move away from home.

If cost of living wasn't an issue in Sydney I'd still be living there.

It doesn't really matter what you earn, salaries being the same, you're looking after the financials and your future

The only other consideration is emotional and opportunity, kids from out of NSW have no emotional string to pull on. So, by default we desperately need to stay relevant. Simple as - show a path, show progress and draft/trade as many good characters as possible.

As a side note, the NGA is a stinking rort - especially in Victoria. Those kids have exactly the same opportunities as any other kid. It's unavoidable, the pathway was serving the AFL for decades before NGA's 'saved' the situation. Because your Mum or Dad was born overseas doesn't preclude you from AFL opportunities. Access to clubs who spend more time searching BDM registers than providing training is a complete and utter farce.

It's the same for anyone really. Why would someone choose to live in Sydney over Adelaide or Perth or Melbourne? Probably because a lot of people think Sydney is a better place to live.

Players don't have to buy property in Sydney. They could easily buy property in their home state if they think that is a better investment. And as I said in my previous post, it is likely our players don't pay any rent.

My point is that I think it COL is a side issue and not the real problem. Even if there was no difference in COL in Sydney, we would still have the same issues attracting players to move away from their home state.

I think going on and on about COL living is counterproductive for two reasons.

a) No one cares and they aren't going to give us back COLA.
b) It distracts from the real issue which is the enormous disadvantage all four 'northern' clubs face in trying to attract players to move away from home. Which has nothing to do with COL.

Cost of living means there just isn't the flexibility in the salary cap to be able to make both retention and trading priorities. It typically has to be one or the other. We would likely be overpaying players to remain on our list relative to Vic/WA/SA clubs, and even the QLD clubs, which then limits what we can do trade-wise. And conversely, if we have space in the salary cap to use on trades, we wouldn't be able to throw it around at the trade table without it having ramifications on our ability to retain players.

So to me it is very relevant and something doesn't have to be a club's lone, glaring issue for it to still be an issue.

Cost of living means there just isn't the flexibility in the salary cap to be able to make both retention and trading priorities. It typically has to be one or the other. We would likely be overpaying players to remain on our list relative to Vic/WA/SA clubs, and even the QLD clubs, which then limits what we can do trade-wise. And conversely, if we have space in the salary cap to use on trades, we wouldn't be able to throw it around at the trade table without it having ramifications on our ability to retain players.

So to me it is very relevant and something doesn't have to be a club's lone, glaring issue for it to still be an issue.

That is all based on the premise that we have to overpay our players to convince them to come/stay because of the cost of living in Sydney.

I don't believe this is necessarily true.

COL is a side issue and gets way too much attention on here. It's not a primary reason why we seemingly struggle to attract players to our club imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is all based on the premise that we have to overpay our players to convince them to come/stay because of the cost of living in Sydney.

I don't believe this is necessarily true.

COL is a side issue and gets way too much attention on here. It's not a primary reason why we seemingly struggle to attract players to our club imo.
Not saying you are completely wrong but aside from COL, what are the reasons we struggle to attract players?

Sounds like Port will get Grundy, McKay and ER….while we get…
I'm not sure how they get that done. McKay is free but ER is the interesting one. If he's being offered what has been mentioned Cats will want a very good pick and Port don't have it. I doubt future first would be enough given I'd expect that to fall ~15 then add Grundy to it and they'll be drafting from the 60's onwards. They'll need to trade someone out. Lycett maybe 🤔

Not saying you are completely wrong but aside from COL, what are the reasons we struggle to attract players?

Because nearly every player if they had a choice would prefer to play in their home state or for a big Victorian club.

That doesn't mean it is impossible to recruit players. But that is the main issue, not COL.

Can the mods start a COL thread and move all of the crap over to it?

It’s a draft and trading thread, not a bleat about how hard done by we are thread
If we can move all the whinging and unfair (or at least unsubstantiated) criticism of the club to somewhere else too, then you wouldn't have people explaining why we're not on an even playing field.

If we've got people in here suggesting Beatson and Co are sitting on their hands, and/or trash at their jobs, then of course there's going to be a discussion.

So now bottom ten have been settled, gonna have a look at draft. Assuming North get the FA compo but not Sanders.

Round 1:
1. WCE: Reid
2. GC: Walter - NM Bid
3. NM: Curtin
4. NM: Mckercher
5. HAW: Duursma
6. Melb: Sanders
7. GC: Read - GWS Bid
8. GWS: O'Sullivan
9. Gee: Caddy
10. WB: Croft - Ess bid
11.Ess: Wilmot
12.Crows: Murphy
13.GC: Rogers - Swans Bid
14. Swans: Edwards - Ruck
15. HAW: McCabe- GWS Bid
16. GWS: Hardeman
17. StK: Archer Reid
18. Car: Demattia
19. Melb: Archie Reid
20. NM: Windsor
21. WB: Lorenz
22. Coll: Green
23. WCE: Sanchez
24. ADE: Moir
25. Fre: Leake
26. Syd: Tholstrup - Med Utility
27. Ade: Freijah
28. Melb: Delean
29. Rich: Morris
30. Bris: Johnston
31. Ess: Smith
32. SYD: Hall - mid

Looking at our position, Edwards makes sense but is a long term ruck prospect. Tholstrup has grunt and can be thrown where ever and Hall is best available at that point IMO. However, reckon we will only take three this draft which would include Cleary

If we cannot shift up in this draft, would not be surprised if trade out of first rounder or trade for a player.

Edit: NM fans pointed out missed Watson. Likely to be at Melb pick, Sanders to GWS and Gee to bid on Read.
Our first pick wont be until about #20. We will be beat the blues this week & should knock off Melbourne next week.

This draft just has the feel of some gems after pick 30

Obviously top 10 is very strong

But I just feel that there will be number of gems found in the 30s and 40s

Because nearly every player if they had a choice would prefer to play in their home state or for a big Victorian club.

That doesn't mean it is impossible to recruit players. But that is the main issue, not COL.
Who's actually saying that CoL is the main issue? Like, it's being debated the most, but that's because people seem to think it's contentious to say it's an issue at all. A lot of people are saying the combination of factors, including but not exclusively CoL are why it's difficult to get players.

This draft just has the feel of some gems after pick 30

Obviously top 10 is very strong

But I just feel that there will be number of gems found in the 30s and 40s

Neither here nor there IRT this draft for me.

Feel like it could be an average type draft. Is a bit more logjammed in terms of talent from 20 odd to about 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back