List Mgmt. 2023 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade, Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm

Here's the list of GWS players who are out of contract in 2023 (I'll progressively cross them out as they re-sign):
  • Lachie ASH
  • Callan WARD (Free Agent)
  • Brayden PREUSS
  • Tom GREEN
  • Finn CALLAGHAN
  • Lachlan KEEFFE (Free Agent)
  • Jake RICCARDI
  • Harry HIMMELBERG (Free Agent)
  • Cam FLEETON - delisted (25/9/23)
  • Matt FLYNN (Free Agent) - signed by West Coast as an Unrestricted Free Agent
  • Xavier O'HALLORAN
  • Jack BUCKLEY
  • Callum BROWN
Rookie lists:
  • Phil DAVIS (Free Agent) - retiring at end of 2023 season
  • Jacob WEHR (Free agent)
  • Dan LLOYD (Free Agent) - retiring at end of 2023 season
  • Cooper HAMILTON
  • Wade DERKSEN
  • Nick MADDEN (Cat B) - assumed re-signed due to 2 sources of info
  • Jason GILBEE (Cat B) - delisted (25/9/23)
Current list sizes (for when we get to list/draft/trade speculation):
  • main list = 36 minus 3 (Fleeton, Flynn + Kennedy delisted with a view to be re-selected in the rookie draft)
  • rookie A = 6 minus 2 (Davis, Lloyd)
  • rookie B = 2 minus 1 (Gilbee)
  • total = 44 minus 5
This is the future pick spreadsheet that comes into play only at trade time, as future picks are used in end of season (2023) trading:

Here's the 2023 AFL Academy Squad, so these (roughly) represent the best players for next year as they stand now:

2023 NAB AFL ACADEMY​

NAMESURNAMESTATESTATE LEAGUE CLUBCOMMUNITY CLUB
LachlanCaborNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyShellharbour
NateCaddyVIC MNorthern KnightsYarrambat
JackCallinanTASTasmania DevilsClarence
CaidenClearyNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademySydney University
DanielCurtinWAClaremontWest Coast
JackDeleanSASouth AdelaideReynella
ZaneDuursmaVIC CGippsland PowerFoster
MitchellEdwardsWAPeel ThunderSouth Mandurah
WilliamGreenVIC MNorthern KnightsNorthcote
RileyHardemanWASwan DistrictsCaversham
WilliamLorenzVIC MOakleigh ChargersBoroondara Hawks
KaneMcAuliffeSANorth AdelaideCentral Augusta
ColbyMcKercherTASTasmania DevilsLaunceston
AshtonMoirSAGlenelgPlympton
ConnorO'SullivanNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersAlbury
WilliamPattonSAWest AdelaideMitcham
NathanPhilactidesVIC MOakleigh ChargersBlackburn
EthanReadQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
ArcherReidVIC CGippsland PowerInverloch-Kongwak
HarleyReidVIC CBendigo PioneersTongala
ArchieRobertsVIC MSandringham DragonsHampton Rovers
JakeRogersQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBroadbeach
RyleySandersTASSandringham DragonsNorth Launceston
CooperSimpsonVIC CDandenong StingraysMount Martha
GeorgeStevensVIC CGWV RebelsSouth Warrnambool
KoltynTholstrupWASubiacoNewtown-Condingup
OrlandoTurnerNTWest AdelaideSouth Alice Springs
JedWalterQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
NickWatsonVIC MEastern RangesEast Ringwood
DarcyWilsonVIC CMurray BushrangersWangaratta Rovers

Happy speculating for 2023!

EDIT: 11/12/22 - Added Free Agent status to OOC player list
EDIT: 24/2/23 - Crossed out Tom Green from OOC player list! (Woo Hoo!!) & Added 2023 Coates Talent League Fixture Link
EDIT: 27/2/23 - Crossed out Finn Callaghan from OOC player list! (Woo Hoo Hoo!!!)
EDIT: 27/4/23 - Crossed out Jacob Wehr from OOC player list
EDIT: 10/5/23 - Crossed out Jack Buckley from OOC player list :thumbsu:
EDIT: 9/7/23 - Crossed out Callum Brown from OOC player list
EDIT: 18/7/23 - Crossed out Lachie Ash from OOC player list
EDIT: 20/7/23 - Crossed out Xavier O'Halloran from OOC player list
EDIT: 3/8/23 - Crossed out Harry Himmelberg from OOC player list
EDIT: 9/8/23 - Crossed out Wade Derksen from OOC player list
EDIT: 17/8/23 - Noted Dan Lloyd retiring at end of season
EDIT: 19/8/23 - Crossed out Jake Riccardi from OOC player list
EDIT: 28/8/23 - Noted Phil Davis retiring at end of season
EDIT: 25/9/23 - Noted Cam Fleeton & Jason Gilbee delisted
EDIT: 4/10/23 - Noted Flynn, Preuss & Keeffe situations
EDIT: 9/10/23 - Updated Flynn to WCE, removed Preuss from OOC player list
EDIT: 12/10/23 - Updated Madden with 2 sources of information
EDIT: 19/10/23 - Updated Keeffe & Hamilton re-signed
EDIT: 31/10/23 - adjusted main list numbers with Adam Kennedy delisting (with a view to be re-selected in rookie draft)

Last edited:

This does show that in some ways we wasted some of our picks along the way, especially when we had 4,6,7 one year. Also missing out on bontompelli , petracca, Oliver, Curnow, McKay.
The SOS years were a bit troublesome for selections.
You can't get them all right, and it is easy to look back in hindsight and say we should have picked player X.
But even at the time some looked a reach.

We don't. We have 17 (probably - these articles are notoriously inaccurate if not from the AFL) players out of contract. Only a handful are actual free agents.
Yes, not 17 free agents. The article was using the term “non free agent” to differentiate from the free agents who were divided into restricted, unrestricted and delisted free agent categories

Yes, not 17 free agents. The article was using the term “non free agent” to differentiate from the free agents who were divided into restricted, unrestricted and delisted free agent categories
Using free agent as a replacement for off contact. Not the same thing in AFL talk obviously

Giants fans have no reason to worry about Finn Callaghan. Callaghan was selected with pick three in the 2021 National Draft and played five games in his debut season which was unfortunately derailed by foot surgery.

New GWS coach Adam Kingsley has told SEN’s Sportsday that negotiations are ongoing and that he is not worried whatsoever about losing the 19-year-old. “Look, he’s out of contract, we’re in negotiations at the moment as I understand, but I’m not really concerned about losing Finn,” Kingsley said. “I think Finn is the kind of guy you build a footy club around and he’s incredibly loyal and certainly his intention is to stay with us at this point in time. He’s had a horrid run with injuries. Obviously that foot surgery towards the end of last year and he’s still recovering from that. He’s joined in with match practices the last two times and plan to again on Friday. He’s a beautiful mover, I love watching him play and I look forward to him being a Giant and having a terrific career. To be quite frank I’m not concerned about losing Finn.”

Fingers crossed that's 100% true!

Giants fans have no reason to worry about Finn Callaghan. Callaghan was selected with pick three in the 2021 National Draft and played five games in his debut season which was unfortunately derailed by foot surgery.

New GWS coach Adam Kingsley has told SEN’s Sportsday that negotiations are ongoing and that he is not worried whatsoever about losing the 19-year-old. “Look, he’s out of contract, we’re in negotiations at the moment as I understand, but I’m not really concerned about losing Finn,” Kingsley said. “I think Finn is the kind of guy you build a footy club around and he’s incredibly loyal and certainly his intention is to stay with us at this point in time. He’s had a horrid run with injuries. Obviously that foot surgery towards the end of last year and he’s still recovering from that. He’s joined in with match practices the last two times and plan to again on Friday. He’s a beautiful mover, I love watching him play and I look forward to him being a Giant and having a terrific career. To be quite frank I’m not concerned about losing Finn.”

Fingers crossed that's 100% true!
Surely we can expect a few key signatures this year after a few years of pain.

Like others have said, I suspect that a few players will hold off re-signing talks until they see how things shape up during Kingsley's reign. If the new gameplan is exciting for the players, and results seem to come (possibly not straight away), then the signatures would likely start to flow.

North Melbourne defender Ben McKay and GWS swingman Harry Himmelberg are expected to assess their free agency options after the start of the 2023 AFL season. Both McKay and Himmleberg are among the headlining names for this year's class of free agents, which is deemed to be lacking the star power compared to years prior. That could be due to a host of 'pre-agents' securing their futures before the new year, with Carlton pair Charlie Curnow and Harry Mckay, Collingwood midfielder Jack Crisp and Giant-turned-Tiger Jacob Hopper all earning long-term deals.

That won't be the case for either McKay or Himmleberg according to News Corp, with the key-position pair tipped to hold off on signing new deals until the home and away season is underway. While likely to begin the 2023 season as a forward, Himmelberg could also attract interest from rival clubs looking to add height to their rearguard, with the versatile Giant flourishing down back last year. Like McKay, the Wagga Wagga native is tipped to assess his options during the season in a period where his club will be hoping to show signs of growth and development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS-A 2023.png

GREATER Western Sydney has released its Under 18 and 16 male squads for the 2023 season, with 52 players making the cut in the elder category. Three Giants Academy graduates were drafted to Western Sydney last year, and there promises to be a few more in the frame over the next year. We highlight some of the prospects to watch.

TOP-AGERS

A trio of Giants Academy top-agers have cut their teeth training with the senior team over preseason. Though not named in the squad, arguably the most talented of them is Harvey Thomas, who will play his football with Coates Talent League powerhouse, the Oakleigh Chargers. Thomas is a diminutive midfielder with ample class whose foot skills are sublime. There is not much of him, but his smarts help him hold his own in the thick of the contest and he makes terrific decisions with ball in hand. He played in last year’s Under 17 Futures showcase on AFL Grand Final Day.

Giants fans should also be familiar with the name Charlie McCormack. The tall forward/ruck provides plenty of flair and though he remains raw, has promising potential as a mobile type with good aerial range. He featured for GWS during last year’s Under 16 National Development Championships.

The last of the three is Matthew Brown, who measures up at over 190cm but did not manage to turn out for the Giants’ Under 18 or 16 sides last year. Now back on the park, he is primed for a big season where he has the chance to quickly show what he can do.

A mention must also go to Malual Aleer, a newcomer to the program and the cousin of 2021 Giants draftee, Leek Aleer. He has grown to over 200cm ahead of his top-age campaign and will ply his trade as a ruck/defender. The spring-heeled prospect spent last year in the AFL Canberra grades and is definitely one to monitor.

BOTTOM-AGERS

Casting an eye to the future, and the Giants have access to a few handy 2006-born players, despite none of their Under 16s making last year’s All Australian squad. Ruck/forward Cooper Bell took out their MVP award, while Harvey Odgers was noticeable under his helmet in midfield.

Along with top-ager Harvey, at least three Giants Academy products are now tied to Coates Talent League regions. The Bendigo Pioneers will be home to Lachlan Hogan, while Joshua Murphy and Tom Forrest will both link up with the Murray Bushrangers. None are named in the squads.

OVER-AGERS

Six 2004-born players from last year’s Under 18 squad will return to the Giants Academy in 2023. Among the proven performers is midfielder Luke Lawrence, who also turned out for the Allies at last year’s National Championships.

Nicholas Newton should again prove a key piece with his rebounding work out of defence, where he can accumulate plenty of possessions. Tall talent Dayne Posthuma has grown to 199cm and looks to be coming on nicely, having also trained with the senior team.

Rounding out the list of over-agers are Taine Moraschi, Harrison Elbourne, and Jay Summers, all of whom played all four NAB League games last year.

VFL

The Giants have also pulled off a few coups for their VFL side, bringing across Ronald Fejo Jnr, and Sandringham Dragons graduates Jakob Anderson and James Creighton.

GWS-A U16 2023.png

The one that intrigues me from that list above is Malual Aleer. There was a lot of discussion last year on the list management thread about needing a big KPD to deal with the ultra-tall KPFs. Already above 200 cm puts him in that height range ... if he gets some tutoring from his cousin as well as the academy support, I wonder what his ceiling is? I don't know where we'd stand around draft selection given that he may have only had a short time within the academy - but that's putting the cart before the horse (i.e. let's see how he goes first!) - but he's one I'm keen to see the progression.

The one that intrigues me from that list above is Malual Aleer. There was a lot of discussion last year on the list management thread about needing a big KPD to deal with the ultra-tall KPFs. Already above 200 cm puts him in that height range ... if he gets some tutoring from his cousin as well as the academy support, I wonder what his ceiling is? I don't know where we'd stand around draft selection given that he may have only had a short time within the academy - but that's putting the cart before the horse (i.e. let's see how he goes first!) - but he's one I'm keen to see the progression.
My eye was drawn to that as well. Super exciting and Leek seems like the type to be a really.strong willed mentor. 200cms already.

A pretty honest description of the situation by Jason McCartney.

GWS general manager of football Jason McCartney is confident the Giants will re-sign youngster Finn Callaghan before he comes off contract at the end of the season. Even though Callaghan hasn’t played much football, McCartney knows the Giants may have to pay a “retention price” rather than for his production due to his obvious potential.

“He’s high talent and obviously injury derailed what he could produce last year and he’s showing some really good signs this year,” McCartney told
SEN Sportsday. “It’s great if they’re playing well early, but they don’t have to, everyone progresses at their own rate. I suppose what we do find in this situation is you do have to pay a bit of a retention price rather than what the proven production is. We do pay, and others do as well with that high-end talent … you can pay more of a retention value than production. That’s something we have to continually work with.”

“Finn’s a great example, we’re having really good discussions with his management,” McCartney said. “We’re getting pretty close to signing something off there. But that’s the reality, if you want to muck around too much the offers come thick and fast from interstate clubs and Finn’s home state being Victoria. You end up running the risk of losing a player or paying a hell of a lot more. He’s not signed yet, but we’re well down the path, we’re having good chats so he’s progressing well.”

A pretty honest description of the situation by Jason McCartney.

GWS general manager of football Jason McCartney is confident the Giants will re-sign youngster Finn Callaghan before he comes off contract at the end of the season. Even though Callaghan hasn’t played much football, McCartney knows the Giants may have to pay a “retention price” rather than for his production due to his obvious potential.

“He’s high talent and obviously injury derailed what he could produce last year and he’s showing some really good signs this year,” McCartney told
SEN Sportsday. “It’s great if they’re playing well early, but they don’t have to, everyone progresses at their own rate. I suppose what we do find in this situation is you do have to pay a bit of a retention price rather than what the proven production is. We do pay, and others do as well with that high-end talent … you can pay more of a retention value than production. That’s something we have to continually work with.”

“Finn’s a great example, we’re having really good discussions with his management,” McCartney said. “We’re getting pretty close to signing something off there. But that’s the reality, if you want to muck around too much the offers come thick and fast from interstate clubs and Finn’s home state being Victoria. You end up running the risk of losing a player or paying a hell of a lot more. He’s not signed yet, but we’re well down the path, we’re having good chats so he’s progressing well.”
Will be a genuine A grader.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade, Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back