MRP / Trib. 2023 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm clearly in the minority but I actually see why he was suspended. There was definitely a secondary motion in that tackle.

Think the system works better when it goes away from suspensions based on outcomes. It should solely be based on the action being penalised, not if a player was concussed etc.
One week I understand. Not three.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

One week I understand. Not three.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wasn't the problem that it was referred directly to the tribunal? I didn't think they gave suspensions under 3 games? I'm probably very wrong on that.

I don't disagree, 3 is excessive. The AFL is so spooked on this concussion issue they've completely overcorrected.

Wasn't the problem that it was referred directly to the tribunal? I didn't think they gave suspensions under 3 games? I'm probably very wrong on that.

I don't disagree, 3 is excessive. The AFL is so spooked on this concussion issue they've completely overcorrected.
You are correct, the base sanction is 3 games if referred to Tribunal for careless/severe/high. If intentional/severe/high the base sanction is 4 games.

I think the rule should be changed because it focuses far too much on the outcome and it is rather blunt to declare all concussions of any kind 'severe', no matter how hard the hit was. But, the decision wasn't wrong based on how they're adjudicating it this year.

Understand the AFL want to protect the head/concussion (more to do with legal action), but surely off the ball/non footy acts should be the priority

Acts like Boyd's, what I deem to be the perfect tackle, will continue to take place and at some stage the AFL need to realise that accidents are still part of the game, so many more players will be rubbed out

Even if Boyd didn't lock DBJ's arms in and didn't brace for contact with the ground, would the suspension still stand?

Something has to give
Guess now “perfect” constitutes ensuring players head never slams into the ground. Touch footy here we come.

The AFL could remove most of the danger involved in tackling "AFL style" by simply allowing what the Vic bias rubbish is called 'tripping' - tripping in other codes of contact football is extending ones leg to make a runner come down - and that is it- the sheer arrogance of calling a tackle below the hips - because lets face it that is how it is adjudicated in AFL lalal land - a "trip" is mindboggling to anyone who compares codes - AFL was pretty much designed to be a touch footy game - which is why it earned its moniker - fairy football in the first place. Quickest way to bring a big fella down without hurting yourself or him is to tackle around the knees or lower - very few injuries occur in had contact games in 'tripping' tackles - but hey you do your thing AFL and send off players for 3 weeks - for executing a perfect tackle according the rules - and seeing a blokes head hit teh ground - almost guaranteed outcome of executing a perfect tackle withing the rules - ironic innit?

IMO the real problem with the AFL rule book on player head injury is the knee to the back of the head in a 'marking' attempt - that kind of action is an automatic send-off for real dangerous acts in other codes. You knee a bloke in the back of the head - off ya go sunshine.

Weird game AFL - could be perfect if it just changed the tripping rule and made 'throwing' legal - removing the need for umps to decide when to say incorrect disposal or not.

The AFL could remove most of the danger involved in tackling "AFL style" by simply allowing what the Vic bias rubbish is called 'tripping' - tripping in other codes of contact football is extending ones leg to make a runner come down - and that is it- the sheer arrogance of calling a tackle below the hips - because lets face it that is how it is adjudicated in AFL lalal land - a "trip" is mindboggling to anyone who compares codes - AFL was pretty much designed to be a touch footy game - which is why it earned its moniker - fairy football in the first place. Quickest way to bring a big fella down without hurting yourself or him is to tackle around the knees or lower - very few injuries occur in had contact games in 'tripping' tackles - but hey you do your thing AFL and send off players for 3 weeks - for executing a perfect tackle according the rules - and seeing a blokes head hit teh ground - almost guaranteed outcome of executing a perfect tackle withing the rules - ironic innit?

IMO the real problem with the AFL rule book on player head injury is the knee to the back of the head in a 'marking' attempt - that kind of action is an automatic send-off for real dangerous acts in other codes. You knee a bloke in the back of the head - off ya go sunshine.

Weird game AFL - could be perfect if it just changed the tripping rule and made 'throwing' legal - removing the need for umps to decide when to say incorrect disposal or not.
The main reason I believe AFL is the best footy code is it's main focus is attacking, manic forward ball movement and aerial features compared to the other ultra defensive sports.(soccer & both rugby's)
It is becoming a bit over controlled though, try explaining the rules to a first time viewer and note their confusion.

Don't see any need to allow tripping and throwing to improve the entertainment level.

Great to hear Willie Rioli's suspension has been downgraded by 1 week:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, couldn't be more rapt for a bloke who smacks his opponent in the chops behind play and unprovoked

I honestly doubt Rioli wasn't provoked for slapping the bloke like he did. Also the Collingwood flog milked it for what its worth. Right outcome in the end

Murphy has a habit of getting under the skin of opponents, good on him

Also has a habit of over emphasising contact

But, off the ball, non footy acts should be stamped out with harsher penalties

But what if (hypothetically) Murphy racially abused Willie or made personal insulting remarks about him or his family ?

There has been a history of some real disgusting sledges over the years that goes beyond simple school yard trash talk ?

You could argue that Rioli should be the better man and rise above such sledging (if it happened, which probably doesn't seem the case here, but the fact he got his 2 weeks downgraded may imply he was severely provoked)

But what if (hypothetically) Murphy racially abused Willie or made personal insulting remarks about him or his family ?

There has been a history of some real disgusting sledges over the years that goes beyond simple school yard trash talk ?

You could argue that Rioli should be the better man and rise above such sledging (if it happened, which probably doesn't seem the case here, but the fact he got his 2 weeks downgraded may imply he was severely provoked)

For goodness sake Elmer get a grip.

But, off the ball, non footy acts should be stamped out with harsher penalties

This 100%.

I don't understand how the AFL can spend so much time and energy obsessing on incidents that are part of a contest (with a split second separating a spoil and a strike), yet players can basically whack opponents, behind play, off the ball with impunity.

This 100%.

I don't understand how the AFL can spend so much time and energy obsessing on incidents that are part of a contest (with a split second separating a spoil and a strike), yet players can basically whack opponents, behind play, off the ball with impunity.

The sling tackle rule and its inconsistency is what bugs me mostly. Boyd was stiff to get 3 weeks imo whilst Dusty gets off for basically belting an unaware opponent with his elbow.

The whole MRP quite rightly is described as Chook Lotto.

benny-hill-wtf.gif

Other ways of handling that sort of abuse, nowadays

This 100%.

Really, you can't understand?........$$$

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back