MRP / Trib. 2023 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbo on 360....
In the space of 5 minutes:
He celebrates the driving tackle of Maynard launching Walters head into the ground
And then after discussion on Boys asks "when will these players get this tackling out of their heads"
Was Slobbo slurring his words?

I've had delayed concussion 36 hours after the event collapsing and vomiting totally head spinning for 2 days. What's the outcome if this happens to Walters does Maynard then get sighted and suspended I doubt it but, the outcome would be the same as Boyds.
Would be interested to see what the AFL ruling on delayed concussion really is, got no idea, is there one?

This is excessive. It just doesnt pass tthe sniff test, warning/fine, a week... but three, for a strong tackle, no sling, no double motion, no direct contact to the head? The player got up and scored a goal 30 seconds later.
We are asking too much of players. Wait for the uproar during the finals when umpires "let the game go" and we get 3-4 of these as tackles bring blokes to ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understand the AFL want to protect the head/concussion (more to do with legal action), but surely off the ball/non footy acts should be the priority

Acts like Boyd's, what I deem to be the perfect tackle, will continue to take place and at some stage the AFL need to realise that accidents are still part of the game, so many more players will be rubbed out

Even if Boyd didn't lock DBJ's arms in and didn't brace for contact with the ground, would the suspension still stand?

Something has to give

Understand the AFL want to protect the head/concussion (more to do with legal action), but surely off the ball/non footy acts should be the priority

Acts like Boyd's, what I deem to be the perfect tackle, will continue to take place and at some stage the AFL need to realise that accidents are still part of the game, so many more players will be rubbed out

Even if Boyd didn't lock DBJ's arms in and didn't brace for contact with the ground, would the suspension still stand?

Something has to give
Too much sense - none of which the MRO possesses, unfortunately.

I'm clearly in the minority but I actually see why he was suspended. There was definitely a secondary motion in that tackle.

Think the system works better when it goes away from suspensions based on outcomes. It should solely be based on the action being penalised, not if a player was concussed etc.

I'm clearly in the minority but I actually see why he was suspended. There was definitely a secondary motion in that tackle.

Think the system works better when it goes away from suspensions based on outcomes. It should solely be based on the action being penalised, not if a player was concussed etc.

Definitely agree with that but the frustrating thing is the complete lack of transparency and the amount of inconsistency in how incidents are assessed.

I personally think the whole system needs a complete reset

• replace the MRO with a panel (not sure why we ever moved away from a panel in the first place)
  • develop a matrix/system for assessing head high incidents that is assessed separately from other incidents
  • in my view, the spectrum for incidents that are worth 1 week is so wide. I think that it could be rectified by building in a fine system to the suspension so one incident gets a 1 week ban but another one that is slightly worse gets a 1 week ban + $2k fine
  • communicate that in advance to players, clubs, and the fans
  • release a weekly statement/video that details the rationale behind decision making of assessed incidents

Fully expect there to not be any change though

I can understand what the AFL are trying to achieve with regards to concussion, but times have changed, people are more aware and in the old days of head knocks, deliberate or accidental, players are not sent back onto the field without proper assessment as they once were. The "she'll be right" attitude has hopefully been put to bed.

The majority of these tackles are carried out with the intention of not hurting the opposition player, but unfortunately accidents and momentum will cause problems. The AFL have to get this right, but we know they won't.

So hypothetically, round 23, Nick Daicos lays a similar tackle, player gets concussed, will it be straight to tribunal for a 3 week suspension? No this is not a Nick Daicos jibe, I have just chosen him as he is probably the brightest star in the game at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back