MRP / Trib. 2023 MRP Lotto

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
fwiw Liam Boy im not saying whether it's right or wrong, i just don't think this is anywhere near as egregious a decision as many people here are making out. I can understand why they came to the decision they did under the current guidelines, and especially in the current environment around head knocks.
If you can show me where a head was knocked I’ll gladly surrender

I disagree. I think he absolutely could have gone lower, and although we don't like it a split second decision is still a decision
Running at full pelt with eyes on the ball and get a shit bounce, but in a nano-second see an opponent and think to yourself ‘mmmmm I had better go lower otherwise Im in trouble’..

Give me a spell..

fwiw Liam Boy im not saying whether it's right or wrong, i just don't think this is anywhere near as egregious a decision as many people here are making out. I can understand why they came to the decision they did under the current guidelines, and especially in the current environment around head knocks.
So why did they keep repeating obvious bullshit about his decision to bump, no genuine attempt to collect the ball etc? Imo there's strong basis for another appeal just by arguing against those statements because they're just not true. If they have to warp and bend what actually happened before our eyes to fit it in the guidelines for a suspension, then it doesn't merit a suspension.

Ainsworth v McKay has been rightly brought up, but don’t forget this ‘play on’ doozy from less than 2 years ago…

Edit: the system is cooked

So why did they keep repeating obvious bullshit about his decision to bump, no genuine attempt to collect the ball etc? Imo there's strong basis for another appeal just by arguing against those statements because they're just not true. If they have to warp and bend what actually happened before our eyes to fit it in the guidelines for a suspension, then it doesn't merit a suspension.
as i said, i think that a split decision is still a decision made, and in that case that decision was to bump. There was an initial attempt to play the ball but it was abandoned when confronted with Day

as i said, i think that a split decision is still a decision made, and in that case that decision was to bump. There was an initial attempt to play the ball but it was abandoned when confronted with Day
But you're saying he should've gotten lower in an amount of time where the human body cannot physically move that much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Logue cops a week because of Buddy Franklin's massive bump where he actually ran pas the ball and went high, and Kysaiah's spear tackle. Because that's the vibe right now. We ignore the evidence right before our eyes because it's just the way the wind's been blowing recently.
The AFL had a class action filed against it in the Supreme Court a couple of weeks ago on behalf of hundreds of former players. This isn't a rule of the week type of thing, this is something that they need to be seen to be eradicating from the game if for no other reason than to avoid legal action. It's unfortunate that players are going to be suspended for what would be habitual behaviour, but they are just going to have to learn that you simply can't engage an opponent in this way anymore.

There are, the reasoning was “no attempt at picking up the ball” clearly there was an attempt

It's an interpretation of the facts. The interpretation was made and can't be refuted without conclusive evidence. Like you, I think the interpretation was wrong, but that cannot be proven.

No grounds for appeal, unfortunately.

but thats not what he did? ultimately, he made a decision to ignore the ball and bump Day, regardless of whether it was a split second decision or not

I also strongly disagree with this contention that going lower leaves him open to injury. Players are taught very early on to go low and turn the body to the side, something he absolutely could have done -- for clarity, that's what I meant by 'go lower'. Instead, he stayed upright and chose to bump
The outcome was based on a look. It looked bad and given everything around concussion, they stuck with their original position. There are clear double standards (Cripps) to these outcomes. He contested the ball and didn’t see day until the last second and braced, otherwise he is getting cleaned up. He had no need to go lower before because he didn’t see Day.

It’s a bad decision based on the afl covering it’s ass. The 10k ‘fine’ compounds it.

But you're saying he should've gotten lower in an amount of time where the human body cannot physically move that much.
I personally think he had the chance to go lower when he initially played the ball, but he took his eyes off it and 'decided' to hit Day. Again, we're dealing in split second decisions here, so i get why people might think differently.

The AFL had a class action filed against it in the Supreme Court a couple of weeks ago on behalf of hundreds of former players. This isn't a rule of the week type of thing, this is something that they need to be seen to be eradicating from the game if for no other reason than to avoid legal action. It's unfortunate that players are going to be suspended for what would be habitual behaviour, but they are just going to have to learn that you simply can't engage an opponent in this way anymore.
It really is becoming more and more like America in this country.

Something bad happened, so I have to sue someone.

The outcome was based on a look. It looked bad and given everything around concussion, they stuck with their original position. There are clear double standards (Cripps) to these outcomes. He contested the ball and didn’t see day until the last second and braced, otherwise he is getting cleaned up. He had no need to go lower before because he didn’t see Day.

It’s a bad decision. The 10k ‘fine’ compounds it.
I think it comes back to the question about whether you think a split second decision to do something is a decision that's worthy of a suspension.

It's a contact sport. Are these players claiming they didn't know that?

The only ones who have a case, IMO, are the ones who were negligently sent back onto the ground after a severe head knock. And they should be targeting their club or even the doctors. Instead, they're going after the AFL as a cash grab.

I'm not without sympathy for ex-players with long-term effects, but it is a risk that comes with the job.

It's a contact sport. Are these players claiming they didn't know that?

The only ones who have a case, IMO, are the ones who were negligently sent back onto the ground after a severe head knock. And they should be targeting their club or even the doctors. Instead, they're going after the AFL as a cash grab.

I'm not without sympathy for ex-players with long-term effects, but it is a risk that comes with the job.
They bought their ticket.

They knew what they were getting in to.

I think it comes back to the question about whether you think a split second decision to do something is a decision that's worthy of a suspension.
Thankfully it’s not up to me.

All that does is create confusion and open up someone to be injured because they run into their opponent with their own face. So why isnt Day sited? He could of jumped out of the way? He saw a player contesting the ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back