Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Every AFL club’s biggest list chasms… and stars they can draft to fix them"

First suggestion for North is another medium forward. Pretty much sums up the absolute lack of research that goes into these articles.
Out of all of them he's the least likely I'd have thought. WE have LDU, and a plethora of other complemetary mids.

If we get Sanders for nothing, then I think we have to overlook anymore centre square midfielders. The 2024 draft is absolutely stacked with mids and we already have spent significant draft capital on centre square midfielders.

If we were to end up with Pick 2 and 3 (and assuming Reid goes pick 1), I think we have to go with a combination of Watson/Curtin/O’Sullivan or the even Caddy. I think that would balance some holes in the list build significantly.

If we get Sanders for nothing, then I think we have to overlook anymore centre square midfielders. The 2024 draft is absolutely stacked with mids and we already have spent significant draft capital on centre square midfielders.

If we were to end up with Pick 2 and 3 (and assuming Reid goes pick 1), I think we have to go with a combination of Watson/Curtin/O’Sullivan or the even Caddy. I think that would balance some holes in the list build significantly.
Curtin, O’Sullivan and someone quick with Port’s pick.

Surely Mckercer to play wing? We need outside pace, skill and spread from the contest as much as anything.

Try get a hold of gold coasts pick 6 and get a tall or Wiz if he's still there.

:think::think:

Its possibly a dumb question, but would we prefer:
  • having 2 and 3, where we can get any 2 players on the open market aside from Reid, or
  • having 1 and 6, where we get Reid, but we have to take whoever is left over from McKercher, Curtin, Duursma, O'Sullivan, Watson and Caddy?
6 gets us O’Sullivan?

Surely Mckercer to play wing? We need outside pace, skill and spread from the contest as much as anything.

Try get a hold of gold coasts pick 6 and get a tall or Wiz if he's still there.

He hasn’t played as an outside mid or wing all year. He and Sanders have been the Allies & Tassie’s primary ball winners. His run and carry is obviously elite, but his ball winning ability is equally as impressive.

He hasn’t played as an outside mid or wing all year. He and Sanders have been the Allies & Tassie’s primary ball winners. His run and carry is obviously elite, but his ball winning ability is equally as impressive.
Fwiw Sanders did describe Mckercher’s talents as more outside than inside yesterday

agree
Watson and caddy I’ve been on all year and even more so when/if we get sanders free

I also like that they both have close ties to cooper Harvey and a few other boys like drury and sheezel

Sanders to McKercher will be like Williams to Healy. Add Curtin/O’Sullivan…..lovely.
A smidge before my time mate, but I'll search for some archive!

If McKercher plays somewhere around 50:50 outside-inside, it would certainly solve a lot of problems for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This poor bastard 😂

Jesus he makes Nick Blakey look like Brad Pitt..

Attachments

• IMG_2428.jpeg
    IMG_2428.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 292
Well whatever happens it really doesn’t matter the problem is not who we pick up it’s the person that is Rawlings and after watching that staged managed Q&A the other day his job is safe as houses unfortunately then and then do they move on Gavin Brown as a Development Coach or will like Rawlings be protected as well.
It’s time to move these 2 on not reward them by protecting them.

I've got a man crush on Smillie tbh.

He's Tom Green/Patrick Cripps 2.0 as that 195cm alpha midfielder.

Whoever gets him next year will have the cornerstone of their midfield for a decade. I think he'd work beautifully with LDU, Wardlaw and potentially McKercher also.

God dammit....

I'm with you, we can't be in a position next year where we are compelled to select another midfielder having taking another bunch.

Sanders may alter our strategy. I doubt we pass on McKercher, you simply don't pass on potentially elite midfielders with electric pace.

Some hard calls on some top draft picks might also be coming in the next 24 months also.

Last edited:
I've got a man crush on Smillie tbh.

He's Tom Green/Patrick Cripps 2.0 as that 195cm alpha midfielder.

Whoever gets him next year will have the cornerstone of their midfield for a decade. I think he'd work beautifully with LDU, Wardlaw and potentially McKercher also.

God dammit....

I'm with you, we can't be in a position next year where we are compelled to select another midfielder having taking another bunch.

Sanders may alter our strategy. I doubt we pass on McKercher, you simply don't pass on potentially elite midfielders with electric pace.

Some hard calls on some top draft picks might also be coming in the next 24 months also.

I said earlier this year that I reckon Smillie will go number 1. For a kid his size he has far better movement and ability to cover the ground than the likes of Cripps and green did at the same age.

So they could get ahead of there list management.
It would be interesting to see what kind of suitable trades could be done between us and them for pick one.
They need a few high drafts and I’m sure we’d sacrifice something big for pick one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back