Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love your work generally but disagree hard with this which I've seen repeated around here often.

We're equal 7th with Collingwood for clearance differential per game this year. Look at legitimately any other stat and we're either 17th or 18th and there's a chasm between us and 16th; this is the one stat that we are very good in which reflects well on the midfield. In addition to this, guys like LDU, Wardlaw, Phillips and Simpkin have missed more games than we'd like and they're key players in the midfield for us who have helped us to 7th in this stat.

We're fine for midfielders - I think our most pressing needs are key defenders, back flankers, small forwards and some wingers.

The sooner we get guys like Taylor, Stephenson, Tucker, McDonald and Young out of our best 22 the better, and none of these guys are playing midfield (apart from Tucker today which I thought was an issue).

Clearance is part of the broader midfield output. In those other phases the current midfield is painfully lacking. Some of this will sharpen up with games under the belt and Sheezel getting there more often, but LDU is an average runner (but a jet), Phillips gives very little with the footy in flow (and won't imo) and Wardlaw won't either (but will impact heaps in other ways). Desperately need some big, strong running mids who can track back, get involved when the ball is quick and use it. Can never have too many of them.

Is this an educated guess or something you’ve heard? What do you reckon it would entail?

Heard it numerous times from different places. First time was a poster on here PMing me, but since then I've heard it from other places.

It's also started to be published and floated in the media over the last week too.

Not 100% guaranteed, but it's clearly an option we're serious about pursuing.

Last edited:

I'd be looking at suitors for TT and Powell.

The draft this year is shallow for midfielders and you won't find a better time to trade either of these guys - if we're going to do it, it needs to be now. I'd take a high end first rounder for TT (Gold Coast...) and a mid-late 1st for Powell.

Adelaide are crying out for midfield talent and Powell makes perfect sense.
It’d be a shame to lose either but I can see how it makes sense from a club point of view. I feel TT is worth a bit more on the trade table. doubt we’d get any suitors for Powell for a 1st rounder. I think second is more likely

It’d be a shame to lose either but I can see how it makes sense from a club point of view. I feel TT is worth a bit more on the trade table. doubt we’d get any suitors for Powell for a 1st rounder. I think second is more likely

Yeah I agree RE: Powell.

Depending on how picks pan out, it may be worth considering pairing Powell + Port 1st for a Top 8 pick if it meant grabbing someone like O'Sullivan, Watson, Caddy or Wilson, all of which would fill in list spots that are more needed than midfield right now.

The issue with the above is that my guess is it'll be #2 + Port 1st for #1/Reid and so you lose your Powell kicker.

Heard it numerous times from different places. First time was a poster on here PMing me, but since then I've heard it from other places since then.

It's also started to be published and floated in the media over the last week too.

I’m scared we’ll overpay, but will be overwhelmingly happy with the player.

Gc pick 5 for Thomas
Adl pick 7 for Powell and 17

We will have 2.3.5,7,

The issue with the above is that my guess is it'll be #2 + Port 1st for #1/Reid and so you lose your Powell kicker.

Reid at 1, McKercher/Watson/Curtin at 3 + Sanders as a NGA PL is still not a bad outcome vs

McKercher at 2
Watson/Curtin at 3
Sanders NGA PL
OSullivan/Caddy at 8 (Powell + PA 1st)

Heard it numerous times from different places. First time was a poster on here PMing me, but since then I've heard it from other places.

We should be in the situation of keeping as many high picks to fix the list of gaps as long as the Nullarbor Straight

Trading out the likes of Powell and TT and then falling back on the likes of Phillips and Simpkin doesn't make a lot of sense to me. That's a net loss in my mind.

TT was largely poor today but he's got elite traits. Powell also has elite traits - his hands and positioning. He's a player that hasn't been fully tapped imo. He's got physical growth in him.

Personally, if we're really serious about building a dynamic midfield I don't believe there's room for both Simpkin and Phillips.

I prefer Phillips - but he was undeniably poor today.

Yeah I agree RE: Powell.

Depending on how picks pan out, it may be worth considering pairing Powell + Port 1st for a Top 8 pick if it meant grabbing someone like O'Sullivan, Watson, Caddy or Wilson, all of which would fill in list spots that are more needed than midfield right now.

I think that Powell is more of the sweetner in some of these deals, rather than a key piece, unfortunately.

Trading out the likes of Powell and TT and then falling back on the likes of Phillips and Simpkin doesn't make a lot of sense to me. That's a net loss in my mind.

TT was largely poor today but he's got elite traits. Powell also has elite traits - his hands and positioning. He's a player that hasn't been fully tapped imo. He's got physical growth in him.

Personally, if we're really serious about building a dynamic midfield I don't believe there's room for both Simpkin and Phillips.

I prefer Phillips - but he was undeniably poor.
I’m with you, I think Simpkin unfortunately is an asset we can get something for
I’m just not sure we will get as much as we want though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer Phillips - but he was undeniably poor today.
It would be falling back Reid, Sanders and McKercher. Then hoping to get a KPP in the trades.

Phillips is a fine midfielder. Simpkin might end up as a pressure HFF or on the wing.

This game highlighted how much we need both depth AND high end talent. Hard pill to swallow but we're so far off. We need a player like Harley Reid to go with LDU as a watch winner. I feel sorry for LDU the only game changer.

This game highlighted how much we need both depth AND high end talent. Hard pill to swallow but we're so far off. We need a player like Harley Reid to go with LDU as a watch winner. I feel sorry for LDU the only game changer.
If LDU is lining up with Reid and Wardlaw at the end of the game then we are winning today, we win last week, we would have beaten Sydney and Essendon.

That's 4 more wins. Let alone if we actually played Sheezel fwd/mid.

I'd be looking at suitors for TT and Powell.

The draft this year is shallow for midfielders and you won't find a better time to trade either of these guys - if we're going to do it, it needs to be now. I'd take a high end first rounder for TT (Gold Coast...) and a mid-late 1st for Powell.

Adelaide are crying out for midfield talent and Powell makes perfect sense.

The other thing to note is while people can't believe the suggestion of trading TT and/or Powell, they have currency - I really like and rate both of them, but if you want to get something you need to give something. Fans are crying out for change but if you want change, you need to be willing to part with some quality in order to address glaring holes in the list.

Appreciate the work you do but I disagree with your overall direction. I think your approach is straight out of the mid 2010’s playbook of not understanding the need for run and diversity in the midfield. TT impacts the centre square 2nd to LDU (3rd once Wardlaw plays). We need at least one more inside mid with speed and also the flanker/wing combo. We need other areas but without a speed focus, we will just continue to get dominated on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The trade scenarios where we get involved so that Melbourne gets pick one, Eagles pick 2 and we slip back to third are also baffling. Why would we help those two clubs out so much?
If manipulated properly, perhaps we could then get 3 top 10 players instead of the 2 we could currently get.

Give up on Reid and Curtain. But get O’Sullivan, Mckercher and Sanders, plus another we rate, like Watson or Caddy.

If manipulated properly, perhaps we could then get 3 top 10 players instead of the 2 we could currently get.

Give up on Reid and Curtain. But get O’Sullivan, Mckercher and Sanders, plus another we rate, like Watson or Caddy.
Maybe, but we shouldn’t be doing anything that gives others a leg up at our expense.
If we want Reid or Curtain we should hold firm.

Maybe, but we shouldn’t be doing anything that gives others a leg up at our expense.
Trades are give and take.
Just a question of what we value most.

Could be Reid or curtain for O’Sullivan & Mckercher… The two players being valued more than the one.

If McKay goes I can see us going Reid and McKercher or Curtin and McKercher (especially based on Rawlings comments we go best available but have neglected talls). It's not a bad f***ing haul, and that's without Sanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back